The Student Room Group

University of Essex

I've got an unconditional offer to study philosophy, religion and ethics at the uni of Essex, Colchester campus! So seeing as I live in Manchester I probably won't get to go down to see the campus before I actually have to do the 300 mile move there, can anyone tell me what the uni is like?! Nightlife, accomodation, courses etc?! Thanks
Original post by Shanncie
I've got an unconditional offer to study philosophy, religion and ethics at the uni of Essex, Colchester campus! So seeing as I live in Manchester I probably won't get to go down to see the campus before I actually have to do the 300 mile move there, can anyone tell me what the uni is like?! Nightlife, accomodation, courses etc?! Thanks

I don't know how much I can help, but I actually went to visit the campus and it really is quite beautiful. There is a lot of green space and it is very pleasant to walk around.
Regarding accommodation, I remember seeing from outside and as it is a campus, they're all fairly close to where you need to be. The students were all very happy with the accommodation as well! :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 2

Hello Shanncie,

I think that this website might help you find what it really is like at the University of Essex. http://feel.news/category/university-of-essex/ .
This website has published several stories about the university and you might find what you're looking for there.

Have a great day,
Ecro
Reply 3

Hi Shanncie!

I currently study at the University of Essex and I'm in my second year. Although I study Drama, I can still try and help you with your questions!

Philosophy has quite a high reputation at the University and it has recently been announced that the subject is scrapping written exams from next year onwards which is pretty cool! One of my housemates studies Philosophy and he really enjoys his degree at Essex! A few of my friends also study the subject at Essex and I've only heard good things to be honest!

Although Colchester isn't quite as big as Manchester there's still loads to do! There's loads of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, theatres, shops and attractions to keep you busy! London is also less than an hour away by train and there's even more stuff to do there!

Nightlife at the University is also pretty great with several bars and even a nightclub on campus. Sub Zero (the nightclub) organises events most days of the week and in the past it has seen acts such as DJ fresh, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Sigma play live.

During the day there's lots going on as well! For example every Thursday we have our own market on campus, where local businesses sell their goods to students. There's stalls stocking everything from fresh fruit and vegetables, baked items, sweets, vintage clothing and everything in between!

There's also bundles of societies and sports teams that you can join with everything from Cheese and Wine to Theatre Arts to Cheerleading to Ultimate Frisbee. There's something for everyone!

There's also loads of nightlife in Colchester town itself. In particular, Twisters bar is a cool, quirkybar which offers cocktails from teapots and a chance to gamble the price ofyour drink (it’s called toss the boss). Clubs in the town such as Liquid andMissoula often play a range of music with student drink deals every Thursday.

There's loads of green spaces at the Colchester campus. In particular, there's a woodland area on campus with 2 small lakes. This is the perfect area to chill out in the Summer with designated BBQ areas available for students to use.

The people are generally really friendly and helpful. The Student's Union in particular does it's very hardest in providing answers to student questions and will always endeavour to make students happy!

In terms of accommodation, there's loads of different options available, both en-suite and shared facilities. Prices range from around £80 to £140 a week depending on which accommodation you choose. The vast majority of accommodation is also minutes away from the centre of campus itself. I personally lived in South Towers during my first year and I had such a great time living there! I really enjoyed the social atmosphere of the accommodation which was really good for meeting new people with loads of stuff always going on. It was also the cheapest accommodation option!

Also, take a look at the IAMESSEX blog. There's loads of articles on there about life at the University of Essex and university life in general!

I really hope that's helped and if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help ^Perry
@shawtyb You go Essex don't you?
Reply 5
Original post by Eternalflames
@shawtyb You go Essex don't you?

hey thanks! yea i do but i do mine on line. i can let op know whats its like when i graduate lmao!
Reply 6
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I don't know how much I can help, but I actually went to visit the campus and it really is quite beautiful. There is a lot of green space and it is very pleasant to walk around.
Regarding accommodation, I remember seeing from outside and as it is a campus, they're all fairly close to where you need to be. The students were all very happy with the accommodation as well! :smile:

Spoiler

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Perry.J
Hi Shanncie!

I currently study at the University of Essex and I'm in my second year. Although I study Drama, I can still try and help you with your questions!

Philosophy has quite a high reputation at the University and it has recently been announced that the subject is scrapping written exams from next year onwards which is pretty cool! One of my housemates studies Philosophy and he really enjoys his degree at Essex! A few of my friends also study the subject at Essex and I've only heard good things to be honest!

Although Colchester isn't quite as big as Manchester there's still loads to do! There's loads of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, theatres, shops and attractions to keep you busy! London is also less than an hour away by train and there's even more stuff to do there!

Nightlife at the University is also pretty great with several bars and even a nightclub on campus. Sub Zero (the nightclub) organises events most days of the week and in the past it has seen acts such as DJ fresh, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Sigma play live.

During the day there's lots going on as well! For example every Thursday we have our own market on campus, where local businesses sell their goods to students. There's stalls stocking everything from fresh fruit and vegetables, baked items, sweets, vintage clothing and everything in between!

There's also bundles of societies and sports teams that you can join with everything from Cheese and Wine to Theatre Arts to Cheerleading to Ultimate Frisbee. There's something for everyone!

There's also loads of nightlife in Colchester town itself. In particular, Twisters bar is a cool, quirkybar which offers cocktails from teapots and a chance to gamble the price ofyour drink (it’s called toss the boss). Clubs in the town such as Liquid andMissoula often play a range of music with student drink deals every Thursday.

There's loads of green spaces at the Colchester campus. In particular, there's a woodland area on campus with 2 small lakes. This is the perfect area to chill out in the Summer with designated BBQ areas available for students to use.

The people are generally really friendly and helpful. The Student's Union in particular does it's very hardest in providing answers to student questions and will always endeavour to make students happy!

In terms of accommodation, there's loads of different options available, both en-suite and shared facilities. Prices range from around £80 to £140 a week depending on which accommodation you choose. The vast majority of accommodation is also minutes away from the centre of campus itself. I personally lived in South Towers during my first year and I had such a great time living there! I really enjoyed the social atmosphere of the accommodation which was really good for meeting new people with loads of stuff always going on. It was also the cheapest accommodation option!

Also, take a look at the IAMESSEX blog. There's loads of articles on there about life at the University of Essex and university life in general!

I really hope that's helped and if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help ^Perry

Thankyou so much this really helped! I can't wait to go :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending