The Student Room Group

FP1- January 2010 Question 6 help! (complex and real roots)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by paccap
So if i did -(5+5-2) for p and -(5x5x-2) for q. That would be the quicker method?

Not quite, remember that you need to do -(5 + i + 5 - i - 2) = -(8) = -8 = p which is the same as what you've written, luckily. But you need to do q = -(5-i)(5+i)(-2) = 2(5^2 + 1) = 52
Reply 21
Original post by Zacken
Not quite, remember that you need to do -(5 + i + 5 - i - 2) = -(8) = -8 = p which is the same as what you've written, luckily. But you need to do q = -(5-i)(5+i)(-2) = 2(5^2 + 1) = 52

Oh, i forgot to write that i simplified it down as the imaginary parts cancel out
Reply 22
Original post by paccap
Oh, i forgot to write that i simplified it down as the imaginary parts cancel out

They don't cancel out in the multiplication though. (5i)(5+i)5×5(5-i)(5+i) \neq 5 \times 5.
Reply 23
Original post by Zacken
They don't cancel out in the multiplication though. (5i)(5+i)5×5(5-i)(5+i) \neq 5 \times 5.

That would become (25+5i-5i-i2) which simpflies to 26?
Reply 24
Original post by paccap
That would become (25+5i-5i-i2) which simpflies to 26?

Indeed!
Reply 25
Original post by Zacken
Indeed!

Ok, good to know!
Reply 26
Original post by paccap
Ok, good to know!

Just to check, your final answer should be x38x2+6x+52x^3 -8x^2 + 6x + 52.
Original post by Zacken
So, if a cubic equation x3+ax2+bx+cx^3 + ax^2 + bx + c has roots α,β,γ\alpha, \beta, \gamma then we can say three things:

c=αβγc = -\alpha \beta \gamma, and b=αβ+αγ+γβb = \alpha \beta + \alpha \gamma + \gamma \beta and a=(α+β+γ)a = -(\alpha + \beta + \gamma).

If you think this looks like magic, it's not. You can easily derive them yourself (and I do, since I always forget) by setting (xα)(xβ)(xγ)=x3+ax2+bx+c(x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma) = x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c and comparing coefficients.

In this case, we have α=5+i\alpha = 5+i, β=5i\beta = 5-i and γ=2\gamma = -2 so αβγ=q-\alpha \beta \gamma = q is easy to work out and (α+β+γ)=p-(\alpha + \beta + \gamma) = p is also easy to work out.

Lol. The first method you suggested was unnecessarily long. The second one requires derivation/memorisation. I recommend just expanding the quadratic with the complex roots, multiplying it by ax+b then comparing coefficients. They already tell you the first coefficient is 1. So no prob at all.
Reply 28
Original post by DrownedDeity
Lol. The first method you suggested was unnecessarily long. The second one requires derivation/memorisation. I recommend just expanding the quadratic with the complex roots, multiplying it by ax+b then comparing coefficients. They already tell you the first coefficient is 1. So no prob at all.

I don't think you understand the first method if that's what you're saying. What about it confuses you? I can try and clear it up for you. :-)
Original post by Zacken
I don't think you understand the first method if that's what you're saying. What about it confuses you? I can try and clear it up for you. :-)

Solving for the real root, then expanding to later compare coefficients is unnecessary.

When it sufficed to expand and compare coefficients in the first place.
Reply 30
Original post by Zacken
Just to check, your final answer should be x38x2+6x+52x^3 -8x^2 + 6x + 52.

Yep thats what i got.
Reply 31
Original post by paccap
Yep thats what i got.

Awesome. Well done! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest