The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Oblivion99
York notes revision guide. Although he makes some blunt reviews of the poem's, it'll do but if you're aiming high, then naah.

I'm aiming for an A* lol but appreciate it, thank you
I did my GCSE last year but just to let you guys know I had 20 mins left of my exam for a mega marker and I panicked and wrote 3 sides about how Curley's Wife was actually a massive metaphor for how mentally disabled people were mistreated. I cried after the exam, but I got full marks A*. If you panic, write about something so crazy and insane ONLY IF you use quotes really well in backing you up. Wish someone had told me this last year- would've saved me a whole summer of panicking about these results!:tongue:
Original post by ImagineCats
I did my GCSE last year but just to let you guys know I had 20 mins left of my exam for a mega marker and I panicked and wrote 3 sides about how Curley's Wife was actually a massive metaphor for how mentally disabled people were mistreated. I cried after the exam, but I got full marks A*. If you panic, write about something so crazy and insane ONLY IF you use quotes really well in backing you up. Wish someone had told me this last year- would've saved me a whole summer of panicking about these results!:tongue:

Wow thank you so much? How is she a metaphor though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by typicalstudent1
Wow thank you so much? How is she a metaphor though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll shorten my 3 pages into a few lines aha...

1) Curley could be her helper- hence why she's always after him and her name in the book is the possessive of his name
2) Nobody wants to be around her-(CTX) Mistreatment of disabled people/they were excluded from day to day stuff etc
3) She's described to be beautiful and unique- almost how mental ilnesses are portrayed in society
4) Book is set on the Ranch and nowhere else- it's her mind. She's trapped, cannot leave, and maybe she blames her helper/curley for not allowing her to escape from her mind and be free. (Backed up by her hatred towards curley)
5)The way people dismiss her describes how much a taboo mental health is
6) She takes an instant liking to Lennie- they're both mentally disadvantaged maybe?
7) She's always trying to improve herself via make up, etc, so maybe shes beingsomething she isnt- behavioral disorders.
8) When she talks to George about their dreams saying shes seen plenty ofmen here who end up spending their money on prostitutes etc, shes either admiring them for their freedom but saying it in a hurtful way because thats how shes treated by curley OR its a hidden fact that she's been in this mental state forever.

I remember reading over my essay at the end and thinking wtaf have I done with my life

1) Curley could be her helper- hence why she's always after him and her name in the book is the possessive of his name
2) Nobody wants to be around her-(CTX) Mistreatment of disabled people/they were excluded from day to day stuff etc
3) She's described to be beautiful and unique- almost how mental ilnesses are portrayed in society
4) Book is set on the Ranch and nowhere else- it's her mind. She's trapped, cannot leave, and maybe she blames her helper/curley for not allowing her to escape from her mind and be free. (Backed up by her hatred towards curley)
6) She takes an instant liking to Lennie- they're both mentally disadvantaged maybe?
7) She's always trying to improve herself via make up, etc, so maybe shes beingsomething she isnt- behavioral disorders.
8) When she talks to George about their dreams saying shes seen plenty ofmen here who end up spending their money on prostitutes etc, shes either admiring them for their freedom but saying it in a hurtful way because thats how shes treated by curley OR its a hidden fact that she's been in this mental state forever.

I remember reading over my essay at the end and thinking wtaf have I done with my life

That's so insightful!! I bet no one else wrote that!
I would have been hella proud of myself if I were you 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The-Hof123
Does anyone know what the character and voice poems were last year? Just so that I can try and predict what they'll be this year. So far, these are the ones that I have seen haven't been done yet:
The Clown Punk
Medusa
Brendon Gallacher
Give
My Last Duchess
The Hunchback in the Park
The Ruined Maid
(from 2012-2014, I had a look at the past papers. ^Those are the ones that didn't come up, so will be more likely to be in the one this year^) Although it all depends on which ones were done last year. I hope we get Medusa and The River God, they're both really easy :smile:

I did GCSEs last year and the poems we had were River God and My Last Duchess (I think!)

Hi , congrats on the A* could u please tell me what the two poems were for 2015?
This is fantastic! Oh wow, I can understand why you got full marks, this is insightful af

Original post by tinyshadow0
Hi , congrats on the A* could u please tell me what the two poems were for 2015?

Pretty sure the papers are released now- I was with Edexcel. I did the relationships anthology, and I remember being only confident with Valentine poem (the onion one) and I think OurLoveNow came up? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 189
I think for the relationships poems it will be To His Coy Mistress (God that's a disgusting poem) and In Paris with you. For of mice and men my teacher predicted that it will have something to do with the shooting of the dog and she says her predictions has been right 3 years in a row now. For Sunlight on the Grass she said it might be 100% perfect girl and something to do settings. Hope that helps and please don't take my word for it still revise EVERYTHING! :smile:
Original post by tinyshadow0

The AQA Relationships poems were Manhunt and Sister Maude
Original post by pink.lemonade
The AQA Relationships poems were Manhunt and Sister Maude

Thank you
Hey guys I would really appreciate it if someone answered these questions. The main focus in the English department in my school is for the majority of people to pass English language therefore we do not spend much time on English literature and we have to do this in our own time. I'm happy to do this however I'm unsure of what they can ask us in the literature exam related to of mice and men and Inspector calls. Is there a limited amount of things they can ask us in relation to both? for example in of mice and men can they only ask you about themes characters society and Inspector calls about each character or can it change every year? Also inspector calls and in of mice and men do they give you more than one question for you to pick to answer or is it only one question you are given. I am taking the higher tier if this is useful I'm not sure if anything is different. In addition to this I am aiming for an A in literature is there anything specific I should revise for in An Inspector calls and of mice and men which would be good to include in my answers? thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megmogz19
Hey guys I would really appreciate it if someone answered these questions. The main focus in the English department in my school is for the majority of people to pass English language therefore we do not spend much time on English literature and we have to do this in our own time. I'm happy to do this however I'm unsure of what they can ask us in the literature exam related to of mice and men and Inspector calls. Is there a limited amount of things they can ask us in relation to both? for example in of mice and men can they only ask you about themes characters society and Inspector calls about each character or can it change every year? Also inspector calls and in of mice and men do they give you more than one question for you to pick to answer or is it only one question you are given. I am taking the higher tier if this is useful I'm not sure if anything is different. In addition to this I am aiming for an A in literature is there anything specific I should revise for in An Inspector calls and of mice and men which would be good to include in my answers? thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For an inspector calls you get a choice of two questions - one is usually about a character and the other a theme. So you can choose which you prefer

For of mice and men you have to answer the set question and there is a part a and b. Part a refers to the extract and usually is about a character. Part b tends to still link to that character but the way the question is worded encourages you to talk about context (which you need to).

If you're still a bit confused, try looking at the past questions for both x
Thankyou very much x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am struggling to understand the character of Carlson. I only have a few points about him but these are not enough to write a well structured response in case he comes up. This is what I've got so far :
He is a “a powerful big stomached man”
He doesn't understand relationships, he wants Candy to shoot his dog because it doesn't benefit him so he doesn't understand that you can love someone/something even if it doesn't give you anything in return
He is very insensitive as he describes the way he will shoot Candy's dog

I need more points about him, any ideas? thanks
Reply 196
Predictions for of mice and men and inspector calls?
Reply 197
Original post by Username3097486
I also reccomend Mr Salles, really good for hitting the A*

Of mice and men, AIC and relationship poetry
Haven't done much revision for it, just started making notes
Of mice and men- possibly carlson/whit but it would be a hard one
AIC- Gerald/sheila and responsibility possibly
relationships-no idea, but i thank god that farmers bride was last year. I actually
hate that poem so much, that's probably the only poem I will neglect

Do you think Carlson will come up? I wasn't going to revise him because he seems such an insignificant character. Personally, I don't even know who Whit is so there must be nothing to say about him. Ah- do you think I should revise carlson then?
Reply 198
Original post by CFCITBC
I am struggling to understand the character of Carlson. I only have a few points about him but these are not enough to write a well structured response in case he comes up. This is what I've got so far :
He is a “a powerful big stomached man”
He doesn't understand relationships, he wants Candy to shoot his dog because it doesn't benefit him so he doesn't understand that you can love someone/something even if it doesn't give you anything in return
He is very insensitive as he describes the way he will shoot Candy's dog

I need more points about him, any ideas? thanks

I highly doubt he would come up
He is the last character to speak in the book so maybe you could say something about that? Im not really sure why that is significant though.
Does anyone know where to find resources for the poetry cluster of Place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending