The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrSocSciences
Is anyone still impressed by "designer" clothing, cut-price or otherwise?

Why the snobby attitude, fashion isn't to impress others. Half the time most designer brands that I'd wear would go unnoticed cause I wear brands that aren't so big in the UK like japanese designers but fashion is just a hobby, like people spend money on video games or whatever else and it adds up. If you never buy any of that, at the end of the month if you have a job you have enough for a decent piece.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Why the snobby attitude, fashion isn't to impress others..

You completely misunderstand me, so perhaps I haven't communicated my view with adequate clarity. Snobbishness is the inverse of my intent. Re-read my post, with that in mind.
You completely misunderstand me, so perhaps I haven't communicated my view with adequate clarity. Snobbishness is the inverse of my intent. Re-read my post, with that in mind.

I read it but I've often seen an attitude from people who hate on designer clothing who think it's only for impressing others purely on brand and not as a means of expression and interest in an art form

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read it but I've often seen an attitude from people who hate on designer clothing who think it's only for impressing others purely on brand and not as a means of expression and interest in an art form

The problem is that the term "designer clothing" carries hackneyed connotations of outwardly directed validation or superficial affirmation, rather than an appreciation of aesthetic or sartorial value
The problem is that the term "designer clothing" carries hackneyed connotations of outwardly directed validation or superficial affirmation, rather than an appreciation of aesthetic or sartorial value

Yeah I guess, but a lot of the time it's because the designer brands do put in more effort and artistry than fast fashion, I mean I don't think people should wear designer for the sake of designer, like I love fashion but I've never had interest in gucci, prada, fendi or whatever those other designer brands are but I've seen people get a belt just because it's gucci.
Yeah I guess, but a lot of the time it's because the designer brands do put in more effort and artistry than fast fashion, I mean I don't think people should wear designer for the sake of designer, like I love fashion but I've never had interest in gucci, prada, fendi or whatever those other designer brands are but I've seen people get a belt just because it's gucci.

That's exactly the financial model of the great fashion 'Houses.' ie. More income derived from Chanel nail polish than from couture.
That's exactly the financial model of the great fashion 'Houses.' ie. More income derived from Chanel nail polish than from couture.

Yeah but I've been told that those small pieces are required to keep the brand afloat, like a lot of designer labels who make the super high end stuff need the mid-range items that the masses flock over, because they don't make enough of a profit on the haute-couture pieces.
Yeah but I've been told that those small pieces are required to keep the brand afloat, like a lot of designer labels who make the super high end stuff need the mid-range items that the masses flock over, because they don't make enough of a profit on the haute-couture pieces.

Exactly. The couture defines the brand. The retail cosmetics and fragrance underpin the revenue. That's how the Wertheimer brothers who own Chanel ended up $3 billion richer in 2015, vs 2014, with a 38% rise in their annual profit.
Cannot recommend Bicester village enough! The Ralph Lauren store is huge and they deffs have Lacoste, don't know about the others but you can check on the website. It's a really pretty outdoor village outlet with New England style cladded buildings in a variety of pastel colours and these form the shops. Also have good cafes and restaurants, carluccios etc and an amazing pancake stall.

Bit of a treck as its in Bicester so Oxfordshire/bucks boarder.

Oh and be prepared for the Japanese tourists.
Theres the outlet stores in Cheshire Oaks
Can anyone tell me how much for a ralph lauren polo shirts in Bicester village ? The shorts sleeve one
Thank you
Check out Asos Marketplace
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Check out Asos Marketplace

"Bicester Village
https://www.facebook.com/K-B-Clothing-205995983097156/
this is a new site online selling stuff below retail set up by a relative of a friend
I nominate The Outnet for womenswear, and Zalando Lounge and Secret Sales for menswear and children's things.
theres an upcoming Facebook account called: Designed insparatonaly
(its misspelt for a reason )
new Facebook page coming out called designed insparationaly
(MISSPELT FOR A REASON)
The Good Recycling Company
They sell new and used designer clothes. You can get anything from Barbour, Belstaff Levi's Fred Perry Ralph Lauren. Lacoste Nike Reebok and generally speaking I have found it to be cheaper than ebay. Best of all it's all authentic. I dont understand why people buy fake designer clothes.
Some of there stuff is sold and the money is donated to charity as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cheshire oaks is good too. Mc Arthur Glen stores.
TK Makks have allot of chaff mixed in with the wheat.
The way I see it is that people wear them to fit in. People are being pressured to wear them or they end up being bullied or beat up, Its a disgrace! I done a little experiment a few years back, I bought some Nike branded shoes and some plain branded ones in the same style/design. The minute i walked out the door people started making fun and getting into fights with me. The next week I walked out with the Nike shoes and suddenly everything changed, People would comment and talk about them in a good way. Its just stupid that as soon as an athlete or someone famous wears them there automatically in fashion. People should stop judging and bullying people for what they wear and start looking for personality instead.

Latest