The Student Room Group

LGBT scene at Durham?

So I know that Durham has no LGBT public spaces like bars and cafes etc, and I've also heard that the LGBT society is mainly composed of guys (I'm a girl) and I'm kind of considering another uni because of this, like Bristol, or I might take a year out and apply somewhere else. I know that Newcastle is only a train hop away but Durham feels quite restricted in terms of LGBT stuff, is all of this true? And does anyone know some unis with a cracking LGBT scene (I've heard Sussex is good) because I really want to meet some LGBT people :frown: do you think switching unis is the right choice? I feel like I'll be sad if there's few LGBT girls i can talk to and no spaces to go to meet people.

Scroll to see replies

That is quite possibly the most pathetic reason to reject a university I have ever heard.
It's not so bad. There's a single gay night in a single bar, but that's always pretty fun. The LGBTa is not full of men, I don't know where you got that from.

There's definitely enough opportunity to meet people. But it's not the gay capital of the North, no.
Original post by Straighthate
'LGBT scene'

BAHAHAHA
why dont you just integrate with society like normal people?
ive had friends who are lesbos, gay etc
and the thing that didnt make them weird and scorned upon by society was some strange subscription to the LGBT cult

It's not that people want to sequester themselves away.

It just a person the ability to make friends (also) with people who understand their situation a bit better. And also to meet potential partners. Doing that is harder for people in the 3%.
Original post by Infraspecies
I
It just a person the ability to make friends (also) with people who understand their situation a bit better.

Fancying someone of the same sex as you is not a ****ing "situation", and to suggest that it's easier for gays to make friends with other gays as opposed to with heterosexuals is just absurd.
People play the gay/bi card 2 much.
Original post by slipper flipper
Fancying someone of the same sex as you is not a ****ing "situation", and to suggest that it's easier for gays to make friends with other gays as opposed to with heterosexuals is just absurd.

The situation is being non-heterosexual in a heteronormative society. It's not an easy thing. It's nice to talk to people who are aware.

And it isn't easier, per se. It's just, as I said, nice.
Original post by The Blue Nose

"I want to meet other gay people" is playing the gay card?
"I want to meet other gay people" is playing the gay card?

No i mean be careful of some people playing that card just to get attention.
The situation is being non-heterosexual in a heteronormative society. It's not an easy thing. It's nice to talk to people who are aware.
"aware" ?? only your fellow non-heterosexuals are "aware"?

:facepalm:
No i mean be careful of some people playing that card just to get attention.

And it isn't easier, per se. It's just, as I said, nice.

'LGBT scene'

BAHAHAHA
why dont you just integrate with society like normal people?
ive had friends who are lesbos, gay etc
and the thing that didnt make them weird and scorned upon by society was some strange subscription to the LGBT cult

People, I really don't think the OP meant 'just to make friends with other LGBT girls', I think she is asking because she hopes to find a girlfriend during university, in which case her question makes sense. Lots of students have their first relationships in university, so it is perfectly reasonable that she can change her mind about Durham if going to Durham may means that she might miss out on this important milestone.

Hi OP, Stonewall publishes an annual rank of universities by LGBT acceptance and inclusion so that's worth a look (but the 2016 one isn't available yet). The Guardian has the 2014 version, search Google. These may be handy if you decide to change universities.

This might reassure you on LGBT inclusion in Durham, from Josephine Butler College's news page: https://www.dur.ac.uk/butler.college/?id=27160&itemno=27160

A similar thread might help you come to a decision if you decide to change universities, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401993 for starters as well as http://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/university-news/gay-friendly-uk-universities-rated-new-2015-guide

All in all, it might turn out to not be so bad, some say that university is what you make of it - once enrolled, you could help to organise events like Oxford's crew dates to meet other people. Do you have an offer already? If so, contact Durham about any concerns you have or even better, find a way to speak to the students in the LGBT society already. If you don't feel that Durham is worth the trouble, perhaps you could reapply or try for Clearing?

Best of luck!
"aware" ?? only your fellow non-heterosexuals are "aware"?

:facepalm:

No. But they're the ones with whom you can share experiences. Maybe get advice. Solidarity, if one needs it, you know? It's comforting to know how other people dealt with things.

Why is this all so offensive for you?
No. But they're the ones with whom you can share experiences. Maybe get advice. Solidarity, if one needs it, you know? It's comforting to know how other people dealt with things.
Pathetic.

Everything you are saying could equally apply to members of a racial group.
Pathetic.

Everything you are saying could equally apply to members of a racial group.

It can, if being a member of a racial group puts you in an awkward and uncomfortable situation in society. Which it does, often.

It's easy to deem the feelings and experiences and needs of others pathetic when you don't understand them, or the need for them. I suppose your lack of context isn't really your fault, but you could at least live and let live. Again; why are LGBT peoples' wishes to mingle with other LGBT people a difficulty for you? Why do you care?
It can, if being a member of a racial group puts you in an awkward and uncomfortable situation in society. Which it does, often.

It's easy to deem the feelings and experiences and needs of others pathetic when you don't understand them, or the need for them. I suppose your lack of context isn't really your fault, but you could at least live and let live. Again; why are LGBT peoples' wishes to mingle with other LGBT people a difficulty for you? Why do you care?

tbh OP could have cleared the confusion by saying they wanted a uni with a gd LGBT scence for the hookup aspect

they made it sound as though they ONLY wanted to be around LGBT people

my point is, all the LGBT people i have known were well liked because they never wore it as a proverbial badge, and we viewed them as any other normal person because they werent part of an exclusive subcullture, they hung out with us

as soon as you start creating your own subculture you are segragating yourself from society
Hi OP,

I'm lesbian and also strongly considering going to Durham this year, the LGBT scene worries me aswell though. However, the train to Newcastle is only 15 mins and apparently there are quite a few gay clubs there. What college is your offer for? :smile:
tbh OP could have cleared the confusion by saying they wanted a uni with a gd LGBT scence for the hookup aspect

they made it sound as though they ONLY wanted to be around LGBT people

my point is, all the LGBT people i have known were well liked because they never wore it as a proverbial badge, and we viewed them as any other normal person because they werent part of an exclusive subcullture, they hung out with us

as soon as you start creating your own subculture you are segragating yourself from society

I didn't read it like that, but I won't argue with you if you did.

It's not an issue of creating an exclusive subculture. It's about having, beyond your control, barricades to living life like most other people. That's something people want to remedy, and are well within their rights to remedy.
There will be nearby places.

Anyway, you'll be amazed how many people have sexual revolutions the minute they get to uni. You'll have plenty of people who get you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amazed at all the douchebags in this thread. I can understand wanting an LGBT scene because you know only gays will want to do gay things with you.
Original post by Venusian Visitor
Amazed at all the douchebags in this thread. I can understand wanting an LGBT scene because you know only gays will want to do gay things with you.

What are 'gay things'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending