The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khaar
You have a major inferiority complex. Calling yourself a Muslim, whilst looking down on your own God's laws just so you can pretend to be 'advanced'.

But are they God's laws though? Did God explicitly say in the Qu'ran that women have to be covered to the extent where they are unidentifiable? Or is this a skewed 'interpretation' based on the whims of misogynistic men who want to 'keep women in their place'?

Oh no, I'm just embracing the liberties that every woman should have.
Original post by yasminkattan
Lol why is showing leg and cleavage considered "civilised"? What is uncivilised about covering yourself?

That isn't what OP meant, and obviously the extent they are covered is a bit extreme.
I believe anything is possible when people cling onto "the word of God". This is certainly an example of this, you take away freedoms and make people believe that they are free from dangers that existed prior to the regime with the help of "the word of God" but they no longer have the freedom to do anything.

Women dressing like that is just a byproduct of the oppressive regime they established, with Gods help. Funnily enough though it's women who are made subservient to God and the men are most likely able to escape they regime when they feel like it and spend many nights in brothels or strip clubs etc. Because they can, because they hold an authoritative position and God is on their side, because God supports patriarchy.
Reply 63
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That isn't what OP meant, and obviously the extent they are covered is a bit extreme.

In islam actually you do not need to cover your face but you can choose to do so from men. Is not obligatory.

What if I say that wearing a bikini is a bit extreme of models on adverts etc?
Do you actually care about these women's rights? Would you call yourself a feminist? Or do you just want to trash talk these countries and Islam.

Some of the people who cry about women's rights in Muslim countries, are same ones who hate feminists and don't take women's rights seriously in their own country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RegrettingAS
It actually says in the quran that women are worth the same as men. They are equal but have different roles in society, and can be seen in our bodies. Men are designed to work long rough hours, as opposed to women.
Another interesting fact is that in the US suicide rates are higher than ever at around 7% and divorce at over 25%. On the other hand, in Islamic countries these are almost zero. Feel free to search and validate these facts online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some quotes on women from the Quran:

Quran (4:11) - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females" (see also verse 4:176).

Quran (2:282) - (Court testimony) "And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women."

Quran (2:228) - "and the men are a degree above them [women]"

Quran (4:3) - (Wife-to-husband ratio) "Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four"
Original post by h333
In islam actually you do not need to cover your face but you can choose to do so from men. Is not obligatory.

That's your opinion, my opinion is that it's a bit extreme to cover every inch of your skin. You're born naked after all.

Also I dress very modestly on a day to day basis (not muslim), so I have nothing against modesty, infact I like it but I know when it's extreme and that is extreme.
Reply 67
Original post by h333

Do you consider yourself and all women to be mentally deficient ?

Bukhari (48:826)- The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said, "Yes." He said, "This is because of the deficiency of a woman's mind."
Nothing happened. You'll still find hijabi and non hijabi muslim girls in every "islamic" and "non islamic" country. Fact. This picture is part of a propaganda to show that the muslim world has gone extreme recently (Although I dunno how women wearing the veil is extreme). Perhaps they're pushing the idea that all/majority of women are forced to wear it? I dunno the exact details ... But for sure OP was trying to stir some islamophobia.
Reply 69
Original post by Lord Samosa
Do you actually care about these women's rights? Would you call yourself a feminist? Or do you just want to trash talk these countries and Islam.

Some of the people who cry about women's rights in Muslim countries, are same ones who hate feminists and don't take women's rights seriously in their own country.

You do know there are movements for equal rights not called feminism.
Original post by Lord Samosa

But then again a lot of people feel as though women are more or less equal here in the west, and that we should be looking towards the east/middle-east if we're really serious about feminism/equal rights.
Original post by Butternuts96
Nothing happened. You'll still find hijabi and non hijabi muslim girls in every "islamic" and "non islamic" country. Fact. This picture is part of a propaganda to show that the muslim world has gone extreme recently (Although I dunno how women wearing the veil is extreme). Perhaps they're pushing the idea that all/majority of women are forced to wear it? I dunno the exact details ... But for sure OP was trying to stir some islamophobia.

Doubt it, it was just a question formed out of curiosity.
Reply 72
That's your opinion, my opinion is that it's a bit extreme to cover every inch of your skin. You're born naked after all.

Also I dress very modestly on a day to day basis (not muslim), so I have nothing against modesty, infact I like it but I know when it's extreme and that is extreme.

Well extreme for some can be not extreme for others. And not every muslim cover their face because it is not necesarry it is optional.

Thing is OP probs thinks that everyone in Afghanistan and Iran are like that but no some choose to cover their face and others do not. Even 50 years ago it was same situation some were covered competely others were not and just had hijab (head scarf) on.
I bet that one of Iran is *******s. Most Muslim girls there seem to don a hijab which shows their hair slightly, it's more of a fashion statement.

As for Afghanistan, everything went sour after the Saur Revolution and the ensuing civil war, where the Soviets invaded on behalf of the communists, and the US backed the Afghan-Mujahiden (which would become the Taliban), of course the US could afford to give more aid to the Islamists and with the help of the governments in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, the Soviets were forced to retreat, which meant the extremists won.
[QUOTE=TheonlyMrsHolmes;64357267]That's your opinion, my opinion is that it's a bit extreme to cover every inch of your skin. You're born naked after all.

Other extreme is to wear bikins and other such clothes which are basically revealing everythiing?
If those kinds of clothes are acceptable to the majority of Non-muslim women (esp. In the west), then how can the other end of the spectrum not be acceptable?

Anyways, it's not obligatory to cover the face in some opinions but when a women is in front of men, Muslims believe that women must cover up head to toe (not tight clothes and the like).

Your attitude is pleasant, in that you respect and display modesty in your own clothing and in others, but what Muslim women CHOOSE to do (only perhaps 5% MAY be forced religiously/culturally; which is wrong) isn't for anyone else to judge as extreme :smile:
[QUOTE=TheonlyMrsHolmes;64357363]Doubt it, it was just a question formed out of curiosity.

I've seen OP comment islamophobic content on islam bashing threads before; that's why I knew they had ill intentions. On what basis would you believe that they were curious?
Other extreme is to wear bikins and other such clothes which are basically revealing everythiing?
If those kinds of clothes are acceptable to the majority of Non-muslim women (esp. In the west), then how can the other end of the spectrum not be acceptable?

Anyways, it's not obligatory to cover the face in some opinions but when a women is in front of men, Muslims believe that women must cover up head to toe (not tight clothes and the like).

Your attitude is pleasant, in that you respect and display modesty in your own clothing and in others, but what Muslim women CHOOSE to do (only perhaps 5% MAY be forced religiously/culturally; which is wrong) isn't for anyone else to judge as extreme :smile:

5%? lol you just made that up XD

As I said, I like modesty but I see that as extreme, it's not a judgement it is an observation. All the women in the picture didn't choose to dress like that.
I've seen OP comment islamophobic content on islam bashing threads before; that's why I knew they had ill intentions. On what basis would you believe that they were curious?

There was no ill intentioned paragraphs, it was one sentence and sounded like OP was genuinely curious.
Reply 78
But then again a lot of people feel as though women are more or less equal here in the west, and that we should be looking towards the east/middle-east if we're really serious about feminism/equal rights.

Sorry to say but actually women and men can never be entirely equal in this world. But we are equal I believe in front of God when it comes to judgment/deeds etc.
[QUOTE=joecphillips;64356373]I know that people who start calling out something as islamophobic before anything truly islamophobic has been said is stifling the discussion, if you want a discussion over something don't start by saying this is islamophobic otherwise only people who are truly islamophobic will post as people will not want to be associated with it.

You've literally ignored what I said in each of my posts. It's like speaking to a brick wall. Noone's stifling discussion! I've seen OP post islamophobic comments before so what makes you think that all of a sudden he becomes intruiged by "the development of the muslim world"? That picture is falsely misleading propaganda. Fact.

For the third time, I am now asking you to reread my first three posts on this thread. You completely ignored my last paragraph in my previous reply to you. Why's that? Because it pokes a hole in your logic?

Latest

Trending

Trending