The Student Room Group

URGANT: AS Biology exam technique help.

Hi everyone. I am getting pretty stressed about my biology exams coming up. My working grade is an A, but my knowledge of the subject really isn't being reflected when I practise for the exams, as exam technique is getting in the way. This is making my slip to a B/C grade. I'm not saying that this grade is bad, but of course, I would like to show the best of what I can do in my exam and it is looking as if I might not perform to the best of my ability. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
umm i have had the same problem too but i worked on it and heres my advice.
- read the question severeal times to outline the EXACT thing it wants from you. this helps save time too and helps you gain marks.
-for the questions about description of the graph, first describe the general trend of the shape of graph and then make sure to manipulate.
-in asterisk questions, make sure you write in a logical order and with correct grammar, spelling, and punctutation.
-for decription of a process such as describe how amino acids are realeased as enzymes bla bla bla make SURE you write all what you know about the process in the correct sequence.
hope that helped! i, too, have my As level exams (bio included) this may and june
i hope we both get good grades.
Original post by RAZA1999
umm i have had the same problem too but i worked on it and heres my advice.
- read the question severeal times to outline the EXACT thing it wants from you. this helps save time too and helps you gain marks.
-for the questions about description of the graph, first describe the general trend of the shape of graph and then make sure to manipulate.
-in asterisk questions, make sure you write in a logical order and with correct grammar, spelling, and punctutation.
-for decription of a process such as describe how amino acids are realeased as enzymes bla bla bla make SURE you write all what you know about the process in the correct sequence.
hope that helped! i, too, have my As level exams (bio included) this may and june
i hope we both get good grades.

Thank you so much! In what way would you need to manipulate for a graph question?
Reply 4
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
Thank you so much! In what way would you need to manipulate for a graph question?

manipulate like calculate the overall change, percentage increase/ decrease and write in the format: in a matter of 5 minutes there was an increase of 5%. this was just an example. youve to write according to the question ofcourse. oh and in the graph questions make sure you write about any extreme drops or rises of the graph and mention what whether positive or negative correlation is shown by the graph (this only helps gain marks SOMETIMES.
Hi,
Hope you are well. I do get your problem. The best way to make sure that you apply your knowledge perfectly is to :-\
a) Pick a topic you are revising lets suppose it is Cells.
b) After preparing the topic solve all the questions in the books and then go over the past papers of that topic and try to answer them.
c) In this way you will understand how to apply the knowledge you have gained in the exams
d) In this way prepare your entire topics. One you syllabus is done do the actual mock papers and you will definitely get A and A*

do try it and let me know how it works !!! If you need past papers segregated by topics then do let me know. I may be able to help you with some links .

Hope it helps
Original post by Expert guidance
Hi,
Hope you are well. I do get your problem. The best way to make sure that you apply your knowledge perfectly is to :-\
b) After preparing the topic solve all the questions in the books and then go over the past papers of that topic and try to answer them.
c) In this way you will understand how to apply the knowledge you have gained in the exams
d) In this way prepare your entire topics. One you syllabus is done do the actual mock papers and you will definitely get A and A*

do try it and let me know how it works !!! If you need past papers segregated by topics then do let me know. I may be able to help you with some links .

Hope it helps

Hello. Thank you very much for your help. I will be sure to follow your advice. Unfortunately, I don't have any past papers because I am doing a new specification but thanks for your offer - I do appreciate it. All the best :smile:
You can always interact with friends with revision cards, conversations regarding the topic etc. if you seem to struggle remembering certain pieces of knowledge. And if your hardcore, you might as well teach it to someone: doesn't have to be someone in a similar situation, get anyone. Friends, familly, the NEET on your next room apartment - anyone.
Original post by Social Elitist
You can always interact with friends with revision cards, conversations regarding the topic etc. if you seem to struggle remembering certain pieces of knowledge. And if your hardcore, you might as well teach it to someone: doesn't have to be someone in a similar situation, get anyone. Friends, familly, the NEET on your next room apartment - anyone.

Thank you for your help :smile:
I do respect the comments above, but if you want me to be completely honest. stick to a revision method that you have used so far and familiar with. dont try to make too many drastic changed
Hello. Thank you very much for your help. I will be sure to follow your advice. Unfortunately, I don't have any past papers because I am doing a new specification but thanks for your offer - I do appreciate it. All the best :smile:

With regards to not having any exam past papers, there is two specimen papers for our spec (im doing the same as you) and also lots of the old spec is still relevant thus making lots of the questions relevant - you just have to skim through the old papers and see what you've learned and then answer the question! Its time consuming though its better than going into the exam having had no exam practice. X
Original post by Expert guidance
Hi,

Hope it helps

Hey is it possible for you to send me the links of the topic based past papers. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. I am getting pretty stressed about my biology exams coming up. My working grade is an A, but my knowledge of the subject really isn't being reflected when I practise for the exams, as exam technique is getting in the way. This is making my slip to a B/C grade. I'm not saying that this grade is bad, but of course, I would like to show the best of what I can do in my exam and it is looking as if I might not perform to the best of my ability. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

A lot of exam is memory and then another huge chunk are practical based questions, if you do well in all these us shud get an A or B. Make sure you deeply understand the content but also make sure you know ur practical based questions, I would say pay particular attention to these. Technocrat notes got a good set of notes on understanding these practical/how science works questions. Its under additional notes on this page.http://technocratnotes.com/paper-1-3/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending