The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to go to the cinema alone?

Scroll to see replies

Why would they be looking at you? They are there to watch the film, right? :confused:
I went to the cinema alone last night. Nothing wrong with that. It's hardly a particularly sociable place to go anyway - even if you go with other people you just sit there ignoring each other whilst you watch the film.
Original post by TK_23
Hi,

There's a few movies that look good this summer, but when I told people - most of them didn't like the movies, so I said "no worries I'll go by myself".
The horrified look on their faces !
"You can't go by yourself. You'll look like a complete weirdo".

Is it really that socially unacceptable ? 🙄

That's stupid i really want to hit them, ask them you how you look weird? you're a single person going into a cinema to watch a movie what's wrong with that? i see nothing weird with it.

Nothing socially unacceptable about it just them being ***** about everything since they're too afraid to go by themselves(something like irrational fears or something...) or they've conformed to societies norms where somehow going and doing things by yourself is wrong...
Reply 23
It's just the same as watching a movie alone at your house, except it's in a public place.
Admittedly I always feel a bit sorry for people I see alone in there, but they might actually be really enjoying themselves on their own! Some people prefer it that way. I suppose it's no different to watching a movie on your own at home, going to the shops alone or going swimming alone. Go for it!
Original post by TK_23
Hi,

There's a few movies that look good this summer, but when I told people - most of them didn't like the movies, so I said "no worries I'll go by myself".

What a nonsense. I went to the cinema more than one time alone to watch a film. I was never regarded as a weirdo. However it makes more fun to go to the cinema with friends.
Original post by TK_23
Hi,

10000000% yes. You dont need others permission, you dont need to be a sheeple, you go to watch a film. Completely the right attitude to go by yourself if nobody else wants to go. Its they who are insecure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes it is acceptable to go to the cinema on your own and going on your own doesn't make you look like a complete weirdo as it's sometimes better going on your own for it means that you aren't hanging about waiting for your friends to arrive before the movie starts also you can see the movie that you want to see without hearing things like "Don't want to see that movie,let's see that one instead"
Original post by Tarius
It's just the same as watching a movie alone at your house, except it's in a public place.

This, although the public place is more amusing than watching at home - provided that it is a good film.
My thinking was the same that it was weird to go to the cinema alone but I tried it once as wanted to see a movie before they stopped showing it and had no one to go with, I found it weird and uncomfortable but then felt better so ended up going to the cinema a couple of times alone and now I have become a member of one of the cinema's so go quite a few times alone to make the most out of the membership.

It is rare to see people going alone to the cinema and think that other people still judge you if you are alone but I just try to ignore it
I go to the theatre alone... same thing I guess. I'd go to the cinema on my own too. If you can watch a movie at home alone then why not in the cinema? >.<
Original post by TK_23
Hi,

Going to a movie by yourself is far more enjoyable noone distracts you but also people judge you haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keepdreaming-
I go to the theatre alone... same thing I guess. I'd go to the cinema on my own too. If you can watch a movie at home alone then why not in the cinema? >.<

Maybe it makes more fun to watch a cinema movie with good friends? otherwise don't know a reason to go to cinema alone.
Original post by Kallisto
Maybe it makes more fun to watch a cinema movie with good friends? otherwise don't know a reason to go to cinema alone.

Everyone is different, you may not like to go alone, but it can be nice for others
Yes. Ever done movie hopping?
Original post by keepdreaming-
Everyone is different, you may not like to go alone, but it can be nice for others

For myself, it depends on the movie. If it is a movie which I am waiting for watching so long, I would go to the cinema alone. But if it is a movie by which I have lower expectations, I would go to it with friends only.
Reply 36
Original post by DrSocSciences
Is it the opinion of strangers (in the cinema) or the horrified response of your friends, that inhibits you? Or both?

A little bit of both I guess, however from the comments - go independent 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by 999tigger
10000000% yes. You dont need others permission, you dont need to be a sheeple, you go to watch a film. Completely the right attitude to go by yourself if nobody else wants to go. Its they who are insecure.

Aha, thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by thefatone
That's stupid i really want to hit them, ask them you how you look weird? you're a single person going into a cinema to watch a movie what's wrong with that? i see nothing weird with it.

Nothing socially unacceptable about it just them being ***** about everything since they're too afraid to go by themselves(something like irrational fears or something...) or they've conformed to societies norms where somehow going and doing things by yourself is wrong...

Haha, thanks for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by OddFuturez
Yeah that's fine, don't worry about it :smile:

Thanks ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending