The Student Room Group

How I'm doing after 5 months of gym

hey. Jiminy here

So, I started going to the gym in December, now it's the end of April, so I will have been doing it for 5 months. So far I have lost 9 pounds going from 136 pounds to 127, that is a 7% reduction in bodyweight so far, and I don't believe I've lost much of my strength because I'm lifting heavier.

Have a few questions for other gym goers and overall fitness enthusiasts. So my goals is to get to benching 8 reps of 70kg, advance with weighted chin ups and to lean out. I dot want to get massive, or get mega skinny so I can do 500 chin ups, I would like a balance in between of strength and being lean.

So questions. I want to try intermittent fasting with large filling meals between 2-8 pm, has anyone tried it, do they promote it?
To increase my bench strength I had the idea of adding 2kg a month and progressing at that rate, good idea or bad?
Finally, I wanted to take up sprinting as my cardio of choice, anyone do sprints? Anyway of making them fun to do? 😛
You're already mega skinny, gain weight ffs
Are you male or female?
If your male, I'd have to agree with Smash.
(edited 7 years ago)
No I'm not mega skinny xD - I'm male but only 5 foot 5, so for my size I'm quite heavy
how many times a week do you bench? I would recommend you try 5x5 training if you want to get 70kg bench fast
Original post by TheMagicalWizard
No I'm not mega skinny xD - I'm male but only 5 foot 5, so for my size I'm quite heavy

1. That's still not heavy for 5'5

2. Restricting your calories this much is a good way to stay 5'5 for the rest of your life
Original post by SmashConcept
1. That's still not heavy for 5'5

2. Restricting your calories this much is a good way to stay 5'5 for the rest of your life

What?

Are you making the assumption he's still in his early teens.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm 5ft5 and 145lbs and would say 12% BF at a visual estimate so -5% would be around 137lbs for me at 7%BF. I'm not at all big or heavy, I'm the smallest I've been for a long time, and I'm significantly heavier than you given what different a few lbs is at our height.

If you want to look like you do then that's fine but you really are kidding yourself if you think you aren't kind of skinny though you're probably not mega skinny.
I'm currently 17, yet closer to 18. Many of you have said I'm not very heavy. Angry bird recomends 5x5 training, what else do the rest of you recomend?
Original post by XOR_
What?

Are you making the assumption he's still in his early teens.

I'm making the assumption that he's not in his early-mid 20s when men finish growing.
Original post by Jiminy Cricket
what else do the rest of you recomend?

Gaining weight.
You shouldn't be loosing weight, definitely don't do intermittent fasting.

You don't really gain muscle on a calorie deficit, and because you're loosing weight you probably are in a deficit. I would recommend tracking your calories because you're probably eating less than you think. Aim for like 2.5 -3k and get enough protein.

Quick Reply

Latest