The Student Room Group

Mometum question (simple)

hi, this is part one of a momentum question. here they don't ask to calculate the speed but I don't know how to get the answers, can someone work this out for me and talk me through it pls. thanks :smile:

and also the very last question too please
(edited 7 years ago)
There is approx 1 step every 6 metres.
Each step takes 0.62s, therefore you have a distance and a time.

v=st=60.6210ms1v=\frac{s}{t} = \frac{6}{0.62} \approx 10ms^{-1}
Reply 2
this is this the last question
Reply 3
Original post by The-Spartan
There is approx 1 step every 6 metres.
Each step takes 0.62s, therefore you have a distance and a time.

v=st=60.6210ms1v=\frac{s}{t} = \frac{6}{0.62} \approx 10ms^{-1}

hey, thanks for the reply, but where did you get the number 6 from ?
Original post by Exotic-L
hey, thanks for the reply, but where did you get the number 6 from ?

If you look at the scale they give you, there is a footstep about every section. 2 sections is 10m, so if you look you can see that there is a gap between the steps of around 6 metres :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The-Spartan
If you look at the scale they give you, there is a footstep about every section. 2 sections is 10m, so if you look you can see that there is a gap between the steps of around 6 metres :smile:

ahh! I see. thank you. I thought that the question was talking about every single foot step on the picture
Original post by Exotic-L
this is this the last question

Just use p=mv for the first question, since you're given both mass and velocity.

Momentum must be conserved, so initial momentum = final momentum
You can do: (m1 x v1) + (m2 x v2) = (m1 + m2) x v since the final mass will be combined.

You can just use F=ma for the last one. Acceleration= (Change in velocity) / time, both of which you're given as well as the mass. Sub in the values and you should have your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest