The Student Room Group

The Paradox of TSR

Scroll to see replies

I like how i can actually get help on here, it's basically another source of revision and an extra pair of hands for helping if i ever need it(i always need it)
i also like how i waste so much time thinking up of responses which will get me reps

what i hate about it?.... mods moving some of my threads and comments to the trash :colonhash:
Like:

Spoiler

Dislike:

Spoiler

This website is ok most of the time :blushing: need to go now ttyl :h:
What I like:

I like some of the discussions that go on here

I like the ability to be able to ask people in a similar situation to myself things, help studying ect

It's difficult to explain the good things, but they definitely do outweigh the negatives

What I dislike

There's a lot of desperate behaviour on here, blatant attention seeking or boasting, it doesn't surprise me considering the nature of the site but it's quite egotistical at times

There is a lot of stagnation in the topics discussed (Immigrants cause every problem, Islam threads and gender politics seem to be the big 3). It would be refreshing to see some other discussions

I like:

How I've met people on here I have really clicked with.

That there is almost always users online at all hours of the day so there is always a discussion going.

God I love TSR so much, I can't believe I've spent like most of the past year on it...XD

I dislike:

How I binge on tsr, I'll be away for most of the day but then I need my fix of Tsr...:redface:

I think I love TSR a bit too much...
Original post by Ethereal World
I have such a love hate relationship with TSR. It's probably why I keep going underground and then back again.

What I love about it:

-meeting people who understand the often esoteric nature of some mental health conditions which makes me feel less alone and less insane. (Airmed, TLG, Jenx301)

-the mods (sb, iethan, airmed esp.)

-the fact that age, location, background play an insignificant role and this allows you to connect with like minded people when typically irl you wouldn't because of those considerations. Eg French Unicorn is in Paris, and homeland is only 16 but on TSR it doesn't matter.

-that I have actually got a support network of people that I know really care for me and would do anything they could to be there (BrokenLife, cupofgreentea, strawbari, queen bee, CoolCavy, Blondie, Indeterminate, Axel, Z33)

-how much it makes me laugh and some of the absolutely hilarious personalities on here (the bear, spoder, planta, Hydeman, MrsSheldonCooper, nucdev, Hodor)

-that the site gives a platform to be open about things that irl you are constantly suppressing in order to appear 'fine' or 'normal'. Since writing about a lot of my stuff in the blog, I have become so much more confident to tell people irl how it really is.

-that I'm actually beginning to meet people from the site irl and form proper friendships which I believe will be sustained well into the future and beyond TSR (brokenlife, ifoundwonderland)

What I hate about it:

-how addictive it is and that my life has been taken over by it a bit.

-that I sometimes don't work on some of the stuff im feeling deep down and use it as a distraction.

-that people needlessly pass comments about me all the time and think it's okay to abuse my facial features, voice, and my general personhood.

-that I've been accused of making up/faking my mental health issues when I've strived to be more open about them to help others and find solidarity.

-that each subsequent gem gets harder and harder to get. :colonhash:

-the dupes and trolls that come on to bait people because it's funny. And especially: that this affects people I have come to care about.

-that people make assumptions on who I am and judge me before getting to know me.

-that people use the anonymity to say some really terrible things.

Overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way :yes: and this is why I'm still here probs :facepalm2:

So anyway, /essay, what do you love and hate about TSR ?

Hey you know what. Although we haven't talked a lot, I can acknowledge from my stalking experience that you actually are an awesome human being. :hugs: Don't even start counting the number of people your blog is helping and how much of hope it gives those that are affected by those illnesses and how informative and in depth it is . :yep:

Summary: You are amaaahzungg :jumphug: Don't let some users(specifically those that have zero self respect bring you down). :naughty:
Alexion is very offended that he didn't get a mention :cry2:

jk :lol:

I do agree, and I think that it can pretty much be summarised into a plus point and two negatives for me:

+ The wonderful people (too many to list)

- Addictiveness
- The terrible people
I love that everyone is in similar positions and that there are lots of users you can relate to.

But there are too many ignorant posters especially in (but not limited to) immigration discussions. There is a bit too much snobbery when it comes to universities and threads tend to repeat themselves a bit.
Love :

Most things - the people, discussions, academic help, banter and general additional knowledge that I knew very little of previously.

Hate :

Muslim threads (sorry but they're too many and repetitive), mods banning funny threads (and sometimes ones that shouldn't be banned), unanswered subject queries (in my case physics ones), arrogant users, OTT political correctness
(edited 8 years ago)
Saving a spot. :yep:
Love:

- Great members (Obviously, they make the site).
- Staff team are incredible people. Seriously so much fun online/irl with them. Good to have them behind you.
- The interesting/funny discussions

Hate:

- Persistent rule breakers.
- Constant drama threads
Love:
- Great members (Obviously, they make the site).
- The interesting/funny discussions

Hate:
- Persistent rule breakers.
- Inane and cringey threads
- Spam
Original post by Alexion
Alexion is very offended that he didn't get a mention :cry2:

jk :lol:

I do agree, and I think that it can pretty much be summarised into a plus point and two negatives for me:

+ The wonderful people (too many to list)

- Addictiveness
- The terrible people

I knowwwwww. I didn't mention diddy or Callum either. I would have mentioned the GC but I didn't want it to become circle jerky Yknow ?

Plus you know I love you.
Reply 32
tl;dr
Original post by Hamoody
Hey you know what. Although we haven't talked a lot, I can acknowledge from my stalking experience that you actually are an awesome human being. :hugs: Don't even start counting the number of people your blog is helping and how much of hope it gives those that are affected by those illnesses and how informative and in depth it is . :yep:

Summary: You are amaaahzungg :jumphug: Don't let some users(specifically those that have zero self respect bring you down). :naughty:

Awwww seriously thank you !

I know you are awesome too :colone:

And I like it when you give me spontaneous personal rep. Even when it's just you asking for me to rep you :colonhash:

Well ironically this thread got infiltrated by the worst one. :rolleyes:
Love

The people.

Hate

The people.
Awwww seriously thank you !

I know you are awesome too :colone:

And I like it when you give me spontaneous personal rep. Even when it's just you asking for me to rep you :colonhash:

Heyyy you're welcome :lol:
Annnnnd thank you for that :yep: Is this the part where I say "I know I am :u:"? :lol:

Hhahaaha oh thattt!!! I got the next gem, though it wasn't from your rep. But you made an invaluable and much appreciated contribution to my rep pool :yep: :rofl:

Owh owh, I was expecting it :doh: :redface:

If you can stop making sly digs at me, that would be appreciated.

It's depleting what little self-confidence and self-respect that I have left.
Original post by DiddyDec
Love

Emma.

Hate

How much I love Emma.

Inb4 you go on a rant at me. :mmm:
Original post by TheArtofProtest
If you can stop making sly digs at me, that would be appreciated.

It's depleting what little self-confidence and self-respect that I have left.

The irony is real.
Inb4 you go on a rant at me. :mmm:

Don't worry hun, we will get you the help you need.

Quick Reply

Latest