The Student Room Group

STOP blaming immigrants for your failings

There are NUMEROUS threads now on TSR about how "immigrants" are stealing jobs which should be for the British.

Firstly no one is stealing anything from anyone, The British do not have an entitlement to whatever job they desire and if this is what you want then apply it across the board not to just one job. Why dont you apply it to doctors and replace them with only British doctors see where that gets you.

Why dont you stop all the businesses owned by "immigrants" and see how many more people are unemployed. Im sick of seeing British people think they have some sort of high ground over jobs because of their nationality.

If an employer does not hire you DO NOT take your frustration out on blaming immigrants as it is not their fault people do not want to hire you (Also shut up about "they work for cheaper" this is incorrect that job would pay a British person the same)

Further if you are declined from a job stop saying "someone who cant speak English got a job over me" its nothing to brag about infact you should probably go back and resit your GCSE`s if this is the case.

Its boring when people who couldn't even be bothered to get a single qualification think they deserve a job over someone better qualified, give over you have no ENTITLEMENT to anything. Its NOT your company for you to be deciding who SHOULD be hired.

Lastly i think many also forget these "immigrants" are working jobs that the British think they are too good for. Instead of moaning about it do something productive instead of spurting your borderline racism because you are a failure.

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so, so much for this.

image.jpeg
Reply 2
Educated and thank you.
I don't think many people have problems with immigration in general. I think nowadays with the migrant crisis and all, people are becoming more and more against unchecked immigration and migrants who come here and claim benefits straight away or whatever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8

If an employer does not hire you DO NOT take your frustration out on blaming immigrants as it is not their fault people do not want to hire you (Also shut up about "they work for cheaper" this is incorrect that job would pay a British person the same)

This isn't necessarily true. For example, imagine a plumber from Romania. He would be happy to do the work for less than the going rate in the UK because it's still more than he would earn in his home country. He thereby undercuts British plumbers, who have to lower their prices.

Also, there are many instances of businesses hiring undocumented immigrants and therefore being able to pay them peanuts, rather than hiring legitimate workers who would have to be paid th minimum wage and be granted worker rights.

Shouting down those who complain about these things as failures is far too simplistic.
Reply 5
I am an immigrant and I have stolen loads of jobs off the natives. I keep them in a shoe box.
Reply 6
Blaming immigrants for 'stealing jobs' is clearly ridiculous.

However, plenty of other complaints are perfectly legitimate. School places, public transport, hospitals etc

This is why in a couple of months the UK will probably vote to leave the EU.
Original post by tengentoppa
This isn't necessarily true. For example, imagine a plumber from Romania. He would be happy to do the work for less than the going rate in the UK because it's still more than he would earn in his home country. He thereby undercuts British plumbers, who have to lower their prices.

Also, there are many instances of businesses hiring undocumented immigrants and therefore being able to pay them peanuts, rather than hiring legitimate workers who would have to be paid th minimum wage and be granted worker rights.

Shouting down those who complain about these things as failures is far too simplistic.

What is the going rate? Is the going rate for fruit and vegetables also the same because then should you not blame Tesco for selling things cheaper than Waitrose and vice versa thats technically how business works, you offer services for a price YOU would profit from, if you set your profit margins higher your business might not attract as much as someone with low profit margins.

Again, you are NOT the owner of the business therefore do not dictate what they can and cant do. If they get caught they have to pay £10,000 for every illegal worker.

Oh and what good comes from blaming immigrants apart from insulting them and acting asif you are superior to them? By immigrants i also would include British nationals who were not born there or are not white as those people are also being blamed.
Although your other points i agree to some extent, i find this quite amusing. I do not understand how an individual can feel "uncomfortable" are these people not humans? How does one feel uncomfortable walking past someone from a different country - If this is the excuse then im sorry this is just pretty much ignorance and lets be honest borderline racist.

People who have a problem are usually the uneducated who see these people as a threat as more times than not they are more hardworking and better educated and qualified albeit not all. So if say if a Asian Doctor walks past a British benefit claimant and they feel "uncomfortable" walking past a human basically paying for their life then well...
OP, some people are incapable of doing anything that isn't menial work. They see these jobs being taken from them by similar people coming en masse from other countries, they get angry. It's not that hard to understand.

My grievance with immigration is more cultural myself anyway
Original post by stefano865
Blaming immigrants for 'stealing jobs' is clearly ridiculous.

However, plenty of other complaints are perfectly legitimate. School places, public transport, hospitals etc

This is why in a couple of months the UK will probably vote to leave the EU.

They all fall into the same category - Although i definitely agree that immigration should be controlled and we should be doing more to crack down people cheating the system whether they are British or not.

However the facilities you name are there to be used by everyone if they are a British citizen, is a British kid more entitled to an education then say the son of a doctor who is not from the UK?

Are the children of a British Benefit claimant more entitled to education then the children of a immigrant paying taxes?

Also i dis-agree with your last point - If the UK leaves the EU, immigration is the last thing the people will have to worry about. The UK wont leave and if it does then well lol.
Do you realise how hard it is for these people to come into a country where they might literally have NO ONE. Many of these "immigrants" left all their families behind at home. Most of them had/have no one which they can rely on. Further alot of them were "called" here like foreign doctors to cover for the shortage (before you pull up the who asked them to come card).

They do not want to be greeted with looks of disgust and be treated as if they are some second class citizens when in reality they are earning and contributing more to this economy then the scum bag racist ever have or will ever do. They also find it "uncomfortable" but this country is a multi-cultural country and if you dont like it, it should be you who should **** off not them.
I am a Romanian immigrant, coming from a family of immigrants in this country, and I will partially disagree with you.

I do agree with your statement that "just because a native British citizen didn't get a job, therefore it must be the immigrants' fault" is false. However:

Your introductory point is not an argument per se. It's not about "the British being entitled or not" to something. Nobody is exclusively entitled for a job. When we're talking about your average jobs (anything from a cleaner, a cashier or a chef) you getting hired consists of what you can offer the employer. And I'd argue that in 80% of the cases that means as much labour for as little pay possible. Further to point 3, that is not by far always the case. Immigrants do offer competitive labour, and I'll tell you why. Many of them, like my father, if coming to this country, will seek a job with accommodation included. They do not want to reside here permanently (hence they don't need to pay rent or mortgage if they live in a staff house), and they probably just want to save up and send money home for whatever reason. Living costs home, especially in countries like mine, will not be that demanding when put against the pay here (my father earned x4 times per month here than at home) in comparison to, say, a Brit who probably also has medium aged children, mortgage and other costly things to pay. My father was paid £7.5 an hour for the same role as his British colleague (who earned £9/hr), and I'd argue he had more manual labour in that time as well. Ironically, both were content. My father was happy to have even gotten a job back then.

I can honestly understand why some native British people, who are being taxed for some services (such as the NHS), would prefer to have -say- a nurse or a doctor who doesn't necessarily speak like the queen, but at least speaks comprehensible English. If in Romania we'd have somebody speaking with a funny accent, everybody would go nuts.

Overall, in your post you just shifted the blame some Brits put on immigrants back to them. That doesn't solve or prove anything. I would personally argue that immigrants are of good use to this country in some circumstances, but to say that they are not outcompeting the Brits in some aspects (not necessarily skill-wise), which would make it harder for Brits to get jobs, is also false.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LaMandarine
I am a Romanian immigrant, coming from a family of immigrants in this country, and I will partially disagree with you.

I do agree with your statement that "just because a native British citizen didn't get a job, therefore it must be the immigrants' fault" is false. However:

Your introductory point is not an argument per se. It's not about "the British being entitled or not" to something. Nobody is exclusively entitled for a job. When we're talking about your average jobs (anything from a cleaner, a cashier or a chef) you getting hired consists of what you can offer the employer. And I'd argue that in 80% of the cases that means as much labour for as little pay possible. Further to point 3, that is not by far always the case. Immigrants do offer competitive labour, and I'll tell you why. Many of them, like my father, if coming to this country, will seek a job with accommodation included. They do not want to reside here permanently, and they probably just want to save up and send money home for whatever reason. Living costs home, especially in countries like mine, will not be that demanding when put against the pay here (my father earned x4 times per month here than at home) in comparison to, say, a Brit who probably also has medium aged children, mortgage and other things to pay. My father was paid £7.5 an hour for the same role as his British colleague (who earned £9/hr), and I'd argue he had more manual labour in that time as well. Ironically, both were content. My father was happy to even have gotten a job back then.

I can honestly understand why some native British people, who are being taxed for some services (such as the NHS), would prefer to have -say- a nurse or a doctor who doesn't necessarily speak like the queen, but at least speaks comprehensible English. If in Romania we'd have somebody speaking with a funny accent, everybody would go nuts.

Overall, in your post you just shifted the blame some Brits put on immigrants back to them. That doesn't solve or prove anything. I would personally argue that immigrants are of good use to this country, but to say that they are not outcompeting the Brits in some aspects (not necessarily skill-wise), thereby making it harder for them to get jobs, is also false.

That essay is better than my personal statement RIP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
There are NUMEROUS threads now on TSR about how "immigrants" are stealing jobs which should be for the British.

Firstly no one is stealing anything from anyone, The British do not have an entitlement to whatever job they desire and if this is what you want then apply it across the board not to just one job. Why dont you apply it to doctors and replace them with only British doctors see where that gets you.

Why dont you stop all the businesses owned by "immigrants" and see how many more people are unemployed. Im sick of seeing British people think they have some sort of high ground over jobs because of their nationality.

Further if you are declined from a job stop saying "someone who cant speak English got a job over me" its nothing to brag about infact you should probably go back and resit your GCSE`s if this is the case.

Its boring when people who couldn't even be bothered to get a single qualification think they deserve a job over someone better qualified, give over you have no ENTITLEMENT to anything. Its NOT your company for you to be deciding who SHOULD be hired.

Lastly i think many also forget these "immigrants" are working jobs that the British think they are too good for. Instead of moaning about it do something productive instead of spurting your borderline racism because you are a failure.

It makes economic and social sense not to have a vast community of unemployed natives. A country would be foolish not to tackle this by, for one thing, looking at whether this community is growing because there is less job availability due to immigration.
Original post by LaMandarine

You do realise this is because there are not enough BRITISH doctors?? Hence why they have to call in doctors from overseas. Further those doctors who came in year ago and got residency now have kids who will also want to go into the profession.

I dont think your ****ing preference matters when there is a HUGE shortage of native doctors in the first place. Further its not their fault they do not speak compatible English but you either put up with it or kick them out and see where it gets you. Even now there is still a shortage and they are still having to persuade doctors from overseas. Further alot of doctors left when Labour was increasing tax - They went to countries like Dubai and UEA as they were paid alot more and they kept it all.
If you flood the country with cheap labor then obviously British people are going to lose out because immigrants are willing to work for very low wages and live in a cramped shared house, the winners are the companies !
Original post by TSRFT8
You do realise this is because there are not enough BRITISH doctors?? Hence why they have to call in doctors from overseas. Further those doctors who came in year ago and got residency now have kids who will also want to go into the profession.

I dont think your ****ing preference matters when there is a HUGE shortage of native doctors in the first place. Further its not their fault they do not speak compatible English but you either put up with it or kick them out and see where it gets you. Even now there is still a shortage and they are still having to persuade doctors from overseas. Further alot of doctors left when Labour was increasing tax - They went to countries like Dubai and UEA as they were paid alot more and they kept it all.

I swear, some people here get so frustrated over what are, in essence discussions on a student forum, it just feels like you're at the PMQs (minus the swearing).

I would like to point out that I referred to "your average jobs" i.e. a cleaner, cashier, chef, plumber, even a low-rank nurse. These kinds of lower tier jobs, that require a minimum amount of experience or qualification. If there is a better way to classify these jobs, somebody let me know (not a native, so my vocabulary is limited). I did not refer to doctors, for many reasons, primarily being that to be able to profess as a doctor you need to pass heavy examinations(theoretical and practical), study kilometres of pages, get qualifications, etc. If you as an unskilled -say- Romanian builder want to get hired in the UK to build bridges, you can take a small role with little to any experience, and progress eventually to something higher. You can sell yourself for far lower than a British person, for the reasons I have already mentioned in my previous post, and thereby get the job instead of him.

From your main post, you did not refer to doctors particularly either, so I don't understand why you're countering my argument with a single example that I didn't even use. If you wanted to debate over foreign doctors exclusively, you could have mentioned that from your OP. You generally referred to the issue of immigrants taking British people's jobs, and so did I.

Anyway, from what I know, it's usually these low-tier British workers, who need a job in building, cleaning, retail, hospitality, that are angry. And they're angry for what I wrote in my initial post. To that I will also add, it's not the business owners who hire people in such businesses, it's the manager. Managers will always aim to get people who can work most for the least amount of money, and these people tend to be foreigners, again, for the reason that I mentioned. Also, if you think that foreign people are not brought into this country illegally to work, specifically because they can be made to work many hours for a pittance and be housed in s**it accommodation, then you're absolutely dreaming. I am aware of the sanctions they could face, but I am also aware that few generally get caught, hence why this is raised as an issue.

Watch your potty mouth. I did not say my preference, I said British taxpayer's preferences. And I did not refer to doctors, I referred to nurses. There are some types of nurses that are not required to take a degree, such as LVNs and LPNs (licensed vocational/practical nurses). Usually, in low urgency medical cases, you will be greeted by one of those, prior to meeting a qualified nurse or a doctor.
Also, if you have any source that highlights the shortage of native British doctors, do share. I am genuinely curious, and know little on this matter.

Lastly: just a friendly suggestion. Aside from vexed opinions, your OP doesn't bring anything to substantiate your view. Add examples if you want people to take you more seriously on this matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
That would be hard as i am right wing albeit not far right as the policies are stupid. Further i do not think i ever labelled all right wingers as racist. I do not need sources as what i am saying is evident to anyone with an education.

Oh boy, you just answered my life problems. Next time I'll write an essay, I won't bring any evidence and just say that to my lecturer :rofl2:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending