The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Economics Degree?

Hi guys, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice/experience.
I am looking to do Economics at Uni in Bath/Exeter/Bristol, possibly Cambridge. All obviously competitive unis in this subject.
This year for AS I'm doing Maths, Economics History & Politics. Predicted A's in all but obviously will see what August brings. I have a B in AS Level Philosophy.
I'm pretty sure I will be doing AS Further Maths next year, I'm just wondering, is it too late for the top Unis? I realised too late how important it would be for my offer for economics, but will AS Level Further Maths be enough for the likes of Bath?
Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

It is not required AFAIK, but its defo recommended :smile:
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Hi guys, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice/experience.
I am looking to do Economics at Uni in Bath/Exeter/Bristol, possibly Cambridge. All obviously competitive unis in this subject.
This year for AS I'm doing Maths, Economics History & Politics. Predicted A's in all but obviously will see what August brings. I have a B in AS Level Philosophy.
I'm pretty sure I will be doing AS Further Maths next year, I'm just wondering, is it too late for the top Unis? I realised too late how important it would be for my offer for economics, but will AS Level Further Maths be enough for the likes of Bath?
Thanks

For Bath, Exeter and Bristol, no further maths will be fine, provided you get a good grade (ideally an A) in maths. For Cambridge and LSE, however, you will stand a pretty low chance without further maths for A2. Even if you do AS further maths next year, you will be competing against those who have it for A2 + if you don't get into either of them, you will be lumbered with another subject that is providing you with basically no benefit. You can still try of course, but do understand that the chances are probably quite low for Cambridge or LSE even if you have an A* prediction for maths (I was basically in the same situation as you are in now). If you are really adamant on going to Cambridge or LSE (the two unis that basically require further maths, even though it's technically not a listed requirement) then you could apply again in the gap year if you get good A2 grades (it will be a different situation if you apply with a concrete grade in maths rather than a prediction). That's basically all the advice I can offer, hope that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OrionMusicNet
For Bath, Exeter and Bristol, no further maths will be fine, provided you get a good grade (ideally an A) in maths. For Cambridge and LSE, however, you will stand a pretty low chance without further maths for A2. Even if you do AS further maths next year, you will be competing against those who have it for A2 + if you don't get into either of them, you will be lumbered with another subject that is providing you with basically no benefit. You can still try of course, but do understand that the chances are probably quite low for Cambridge or LSE even if you have an A* prediction for maths (I was basically in the same situation as you are in now). If you are really adamant on going to Cambridge or LSE (the two unis that basically require further maths, even though it's technically not a listed requirement) then you could apply again in the gap year if you get good A2 grades (it will be a different situation if you apply with a concrete grade in maths rather than a prediction). That's basically all the advice I can offer, hope that helps.

Thank you for the advice! It's a bit more reassuring to hear that the first three don't require it, Bath is my ideal choice, I'd like to keep my options open for Cambridge but I know the entry standards are crazy. I'll keep in mind about the gap year, I've heard recently that sometimes it's beneficial to have your solid grades! Again, thank you(:
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Thank you for the advice! It's a bit more reassuring to hear that the first three don't require it, Bath is my ideal choice, I'd like to keep my options open for Cambridge but I know the entry standards are crazy. I'll keep in mind about the gap year, I've heard recently that sometimes it's beneficial to have your solid grades! Again, thank you(:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest