The Student Room Group

Graduate employment

So I'm a student who is coming into the third year of my Computer Science degree, and I was wondering what employment others with similar degrees found after graduating.

What job did you do after you graduated and how hard was it to find the job with your computing/IT degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Enjoy your 40% tax mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
Enjoy your 40% tax mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which he won't be paying yet. Has to be exceeding £42k gross, because the taxable income calculation is taken after the personal allowance.
Reply 3
Original post by KaMingy
So I'm a student who is coming into the third year of my Computer Science degree, and I was wondering what employment others with similar degrees found after graduating.

What job did you do after you graduated and how hard was it to find the job with your computing/IT degree?

I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.
Original post by Reue
I did a business degree but got my first job in IT. It was a 9 month graduate role for £15.5k. TBh I was just happy to get any job as it is very hard to get a job in IT without any real world experience. Within a year I was up to 27k, then £33k and now £40k after 5 years.

As others have said already; most places value experience far beyond your degree to the point that its almost not worth even bothering with university for a job in IT.
wow

that is very fast increases in salary. didnt realise IT was so well paid.

I hear as time goes on unless you as a a worker keep up with the times the young wans will be better though.
Reply 5
Original post by trustmeimlying1
wow

that is very fast increases in salary. didnt realise IT was so well paid.

I hear as time goes on unless you as a a worker keep up with the times the young wans will be better though.

Those increases were from job changes. It's the only way you're likely to see any decent increases.
Original post by Reue
Those increases were from job changes. It's the only way you're likely to see any decent increases.
interesting gotta keep moving to get better salaries.

fancied working in the public sector but always good to know.
After a decade or so maybe, stepdad is of that ilk and earns marginally above that after being in his current job for 12 years with regular salary increases. No one will be realistically getting that before that sort of time period unless they are related to CEO's.
wowzers. happy out for yee. Im not talented at such things so Il stay out of it p
Original post by iainvg
After a decade or so maybe, stepdad is of that ilk and earns marginally above that after being in his current job for 12 years with regular salary increases. No one will be realistically getting that before that sort of time period unless they are related to CEO's.

Or they work for a top tech company like Google/FB or an up and coming startup, making that much in their first year all-in (base, bonus, stock grants, signing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Or they work for a top tech company like Google/FB or an up and coming startup, making that much in their first year all-in (base, bonus, stock grants, signing)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Have friends working at both, one for Google in London, he has 3 years experience under his belt, and he's on just shy of £50k, and the other is working for Facebook out in SanFran and gets equivalent to £55k, again with 3 years experience.

Graduates top out at about £40k tops in both, regardless of discipline, and then only the high fliers will even get close to that.
Original post by iainvg
Nope. Have friends working at both, one for Google in London, he has 3 years experience under his belt, and he's on just shy of £50k, and the other is working for Facebook out in SanFran and gets equivalent to £55k, again with 3 years experience.

Graduates top out at about £40k tops in both, regardless of discipline, and then only the high fliers will even get close to that.

Erm, they're lying to you bud.

Google's standard grad offer in Mountain View right now is $105k + 250 Google stock (vesting over 4 years, i.e. 25%/year) + 0-15% bonus + signing bonus. I've seen the comp package because I have a bud at Stanford heading there this year.

Here in the UK, the all-in comp is nearer £70-80k with the above package (stock, bonus and signing).

So unfortunately, I don't think you're quite right. Graduates don't 'top out' at that, you're forgetting the rest of their compensation.

If your friend in SanFran is really on £55k, he's getting swindled out of his backside. Or there's always the case that you don't really know how much these guys earn..
(edited 8 years ago)
Google's standard grad offer in Mountain View right now is $105k + 250 Google stock (vesting over 4 years, i.e. 25%/year) + 0-15% bonus + signing bonus. I've seen the comp package because I have a bud at Stanford heading there this year.

Ahaha. No.

The stocks are meaningless towards the salary total. Bonus is performance dependent, and signing bonus is taken on means. The actual standard grad offer for Mountain view is a hell of a lot less than that.
Reply 13
Im curious what IT startup you can work at in the UK and get £50k fresh from uni. I work for a young firm in London which has quadrupled in size over the last year. I really doubt you could ask for such a salary here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ahpadt
Im curious what IT startup you can work at in the UK and get £50k fresh from uni. I work for a young firm in London which has quadrupled in size over the last year. I really doubt you could ask for such a salary here.

Google aren't a startup though, they're worth more than half a trillion dollars.

I imagine the unicorn startups would match Google's comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iainvg
Ahaha. No.

The stocks are meaningless towards the salary total. Bonus is performance dependent, and signing bonus is taken on means. The actual standard grad offer for Mountain view is a hell of a lot less than that.

Nah, I'm fairly certain they don't just give stock for the 'banter'. Google's staffing/benefits team have a specific target total comp for each level of engineer, including the stock + bonus.

I don't know how stock grants (not options) can be meaningless when they're essentially free money once you sell them off.

The 'actual' grad offer is exactly what I've laid out as given to pretty much everyone starting in MV as a grad as written on the contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, I'm fairly certain they don't just give stock for the 'banter'. Google's staffing/benefits team have a specific target total comp for each level of engineer, including the stock + bonus.

Bonus is appropriated on equivalent performance, something you don't seem to understand, not hugely surprising seeing as you've clearly never worked in the industry.

I don't know how stock grants (not options) can be meaningless when they're essentially free money once you sell them off.

The whole point of stock is to retain it, it also stands as bad form immediately selling them off, so yes, they are completely meaningless in short term relevance to given salary.

The 'actual' grad offer is exactly what I've laid out as given to pretty much everyone starting in MV as a grad as written on the contract.

What you fail to mention though is that 1 in 25,000 IT grads that apply to google will ever have even a hope of seeing a grad position at MV, not to mention that they are 10x more likely to take a grad they don't have to get a green card for. In the UK, specifically London, the most a recent graduate will ever see from a company like Google is £40k. End of.

I've actually turned down a higher offer from a subsidiary in London recently because i'd have actually been worse off than on the lower salary I was earning outside of London. So, please take your fantasies elsewhere, your mythical salary expectations are up in the clouds of cuckoo land, and do NOT happen.

Not to mention, that if your friend had really shown you that offer letter, he would be in breach of the confidentiality agreement placed on them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iainvg
Bonus is appropriated on equivalent performance, something you don't seem to understand, not hugely surprising seeing as you've clearly never worked in the industry.

The whole point of stock is to retain it, it also stands as bad form immediately selling them off, so yes, they are completely meaningless in short term relevance to given salary.

What you fail to mention though is that 1 in 25,000 IT grads that apply to google will ever have even a hope of seeing a grad position at MV, not to mention that they are 10x more likely to take a grad they don't have to get a green card for. In the UK, specifically London, the most a recent graduate will ever see from a company like Google is £40k. End of.

I've actually turned down a higher offer from a subsidiary in London recently because i'd have actually been worse off than on the lower salary I was earning outside of London. So, please take your fantasies elsewhere, your mythical salary expectations are up in the clouds of cuckoo land, and do NOT happen.

Not to mention, that if your friend had really shown you that offer letter, he would be in breach of the confidentiality agreement placed on them.

I know what a bonus is...

I never said it was easy to get a job at a Google tier company, I just said it was possible to get that level of pay - which, is literally the whole point of my reply to you.

It seems you aren't recognising what the term 'all-in compensation' means. When comparing figures and bargaining with companies like Google, they will match the all-in compensation of whichever similar level of competitor you hold an offer for. To completely disregard bonus and stock just to form your argument isn't really the best way to go out about things. By that logic, bankers only make their base salary and don't have a bonus because it's 'performance based'.

As for it being 'poor form', explain why Google have an auto-sell scheme for when your stock grant is vested for the year? They don't seem to look at it as bad form.

Well they do happen, as I've seen the contract. But apparently the contract doesn't exist and I'm talking out of my ass. You can believe that if you so wish.
Reply 18
Google aren't a startup though, they're worth more than half a trillion dollars.

I imagine the unicorn startups would match Google's comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was interested in this part of your quote:

Princepieman

Such startups will likely only exist in 'the valley', in overfunded, overmarketed companies with lots of backing. The unfortunate reality with such firms is that they will also too often have rubbish business ideas. Its much easier to get funding over there than in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue

Wow thats really good progression.

Can I ask what was your first role in IT? What was the title and role?

What is your current role?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending