The Student Room Group

GCSE History

I have my History coursework mark and I got 23/50 which is 25% of my overall grade. Which I am extremely upset about. I have been looking at last years marks (Paper 1, Paper 2 and coursework) Paper 1 is History B: Aspects international Relations Germany and Paper 2 is History B: How Was British Society Changed 1890-1918, it does not look like I can obtain an A* grade overall: which I am aiming for. But my teacher checked and said I can still get an A* with my coursework mark?
(edited 7 years ago)
Whats your point? Without knowing how much each exam counts for then its impossible for an observer to say. If your teacher says its still possible, then surely he knows the marking system. just do the math. Just work out what an A* is, what you have scored so far in proportion to the total mark and then you cna see what you have to do with the rest.
well 44/50 is A* for the coursework and generally for the other exams the A* mark is around high 80s.

Assuming you get 100% for all the exams, it would still not necessarily mean you get A* (did it roughly in my head)

If the boundaries were lower this year and you get 100% in the exams you may be able to scrape an A*, but i think it would be unrealistic and unlikely.

An A however is more easily obtainable but even then you would have perform at a high A* level
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Whats your point? Without knowing how much each exam counts for then its impossible for an observer to say. If your teacher says its still possible, then surely he knows the marking system. just do the math. Just work out what an A* is, what you have scored so far in proportion to the total mark and then you cna see what you have to do with the rest.

Yeah I didn't ask for rudeness thankyou xx
My point is that im clearly confused wow and im asking for help.
he? yeah its a lady
Reply 4
Original post by Youngmetro
well 44/50 is A* for the coursework and generally for the other exams the A* mark is around high 80s.

Assuming you get 100% for all the exams, it would still not necessarily mean you get A* (did it roughly in my head)

If the boundaries were lower this year and you get 100% in the exams you may be able to scrape an A*, but i think it would be unrealistic and unlikely.

An A however is more easily obtainable but even then you would have perform at a high A* level

Paper 1 is out of 81 and Paper 2 is out of 53. Oh ok thank you, thats annoying
Original post by DellRyan
Yeah I didn't ask for rudeness thankyou xx
My point is that im clearly confused wow and im asking for help.
he? yeah its a lady

If you gave the relevant information then people could work it out for you. Otherwise people are guessing unless they know the mark scheme. To get an A* then youd have to perform at A** or A*** level to make up the ground you lost with your coursework. How much damage its caused you depends on what proportion it is in coursework to exam. Its just a straight number.
Reply 6
If you gave the relevant information then people could work it out for you. Otherwise people are guessing unless they know the mark scheme. To get an A* then youd have to perform at A** or A*** level to make up the ground you lost with your coursework. How much damage its caused you depends on what proportion it is in coursework to exam. Its just a straight number.

That is why I gave the title of the exam papers.
The couresework is worth 25% of my final grade
Paper 1 is out of 81 and Paper 2 is out of 53. Oh ok thank you, thats annoying

Dont be disheartened, you could ask for it to be reviewed or moderated.

And if the boundaries are lower this year you could get an A* with 90s in the exams

Besides, an A is perfectly fine

Well if you dont know about this specific GCSE then you shouldnt have commented. OP obviously asked specifically for this exam and everything you have said is generic and common sense.
@Youngmetro do you trust me?...cuz I need ur help
Presumably its OCR? I go that far.
theres some marking details here with grade boundaries
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/208495-specification-level-ums-grade-boundaries-november-2014-january-2015-and-june-2015.pdf

Not sure i selected the right course but J418 Modern World History on p27 indicates 180/200 for A*. I might be missing something. I also have no idea if thats just for the exam or includes the coursework component. If it included coursework, that would leave 150 remaining marks, which even if you scored 100% would give you a total 173 and 7 short of A*. As youngmetro points out you really needed 45 for A* and you fell 22 marks short, which looks impossible to claw back in exams.

An A would need you to score 137/150 and a B 117/150

They do soemtimes move grade boundaries though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well if you dont know about this specific GCSE then you shouldnt have commented. OP obviously asked specifically for this exam and everything you have said is generic and common sense.

Not really because im competent enough to find out. He could have mentioned the exam board and code, which allows it to be identified quicker. So thanks, but no thanks.
history can suck my left toe.

predicted grade - E
Not really because im competent enough to find out. He could have mentioned the exam board and code, which allows it to be identified quicker. So thanks, but no thanks.

Well your first post should have requested that as opposed to making general comments.
Well your first post should have requested that as opposed to making general comments.

Hilarious you giving me jip when I bohered to try and look it up for him.
Please do follow my posts around and set me straight where you dont think they are up to your standards. LOL.
Reply 15

"he"
"he"

Sorry she.
Did you look at the OCR mark scheme? The one I found was just a guess as to which one it was. The math might be a bit different if the /200 was just for the exam part. A. If your teacher says you can still get an A* then maybe I just read the scheme wrong. In any event youd have to be performing at above A* to make up the marks. A is still a good grade to get. Good luck.
Reply 17
Sorry she.
Did you look at the OCR mark scheme? The one I found was just a guess as to which one it was. The math might be a bit different if the /200 was just for the exam part. A. If your teacher says you can still get an A* then maybe I just read the scheme wrong. In any event youd have to be performing at above A* to make up the marks. A is still a good grade to get. Good luck.
Thankyou Thankyou 😉
Thankyou Thankyou 😉

Btw im just trying to get you the answer. if it was me id just like to know what the real score was and then it gives me something to focus on. Just do your best and you cant do any more.

Quick Reply

Latest