The Student Room Group

My friend has suicidal thoughts and I suck at relationships

So yesterday, my friend told me that she wanted to forget everything and implied multiple times that there wasn't a point in continuing to live. (We were communicating via Whatsapp) After the covnersation, it felt as though I was able to calm her a bit by saying stuff like whoever those people are that made you feel bad aren't worth your time and you can get through this, you've got me.

Basically, what I'm asking is how can I support her when the mere thought of having to communicate with her makes me feel uncomfortable?

Am I a bad person for wanting to be left alone? Wishing that she hadn't contacted me?

I don't want her to commit suicide but at the same time, I'm so close to finishing school, to going to university. My dream is to continue educating myself for as long as I can but I feel that if I were to support her, I'll be ****ed up in the process.

I'm probably being selfish but I hate this so much. I feel like I've made soo many empty promises to her - I'm just not the type of person to help others out. When she left her parents, I was there but even then I felt so goddamn uncomfortable.

I'm aware that since this is the internet, there will be some stupid answers but anyone that could help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Original post by FahzB
So yesterday, my friend told me that she wanted to forget everything and implied multiple times that there wasn't a point in continuing to live. (We were communicating via Whatsapp) After the covnersation, it felt as though I was able to calm her a bit by saying stuff like whoever those people are that made you feel bad aren't worth your time and you can get through this, you've got me.

Basically, what I'm asking is how can I support her when the mere thought of having to communicate with her makes me feel uncomfortable?

Am I a bad person for wanting to be left alone? Wishing that she hadn't contacted me?

I don't want her to commit suicide but at the same time, I'm so close to finishing school, to going to university. My dream is to continue educating myself for as long as I can but I feel that if I were to support her, I'll be ****ed up in the process.

I'm probably being selfish but I hate this so much. I feel like I've made soo many empty promises to her - I'm just not the type of person to help others out. When she left her parents, I was there but even then I felt so goddamn uncomfortable.

I'm aware that since this is the internet, there will be some stupid answers but anyone that could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

There's nothing selfish about wishing she hadn't told you this, it's a big burden for you and of course it feels unfair. It's perfectly natural to think that if something happened to her, you had a responsibility, or a duty to do something and change her mind.

Although she is your friend and obviously going through a hard time, you can't ruin your university prospects because of this, and you can't let your own mental health suffer because of guilt you're feeling. I understand that you want to support her but there comes a point where you need to know your limitations and ask for professional advice.

It sounds like you've done your best to support her and have said the right things, but your friend needs to talk to a trained professional who has had training and knows how to listen to such upsetting news. There are many services which offer this, but I would recommend Samaritans or her GP. They will also speak to you about the best ways to support her without draining you, if she isn't keen to seek help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending