The Student Room Group

My mum doesn't agree with me on doing a apprenticeship

Hi guys,

I really need help at the moment because i want to know your thoughts on the matter. Just now i argued with my mum because i was talking to her about apprenticeships, in which she replies ''You can't do an apprenticeship, you're not mature enough, you'll just be cheap labour'' Which really annoyed me, because of the blatent disrespect and how she has no faith in me. I know you could see this as ''She's trying to make sure that you're on the right tracks for a successful life'' but it's not how i see it personally due to her disrespectful attitude.

What should i do? Can i still apply for a apprenticeship even without her choice. Because i rather shape my own future then my own mum. I have been trying to do college courses which my mum said i should do, but i don't even know what to do for the courses except core maths.

Many thanks,

Anonymous
You can do what your want but i see where she's coming from.

A lot of apprenticeships are literally cheap labour. It's very difficult to find ones that allow job progression. And the ones that do can be more competitive than applying to uni at times
Hi!

There is some information available for parents about apprenticeships which she might find useful:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/490339/2016_Parents_guide_to_apprenticeships_NAS-P-100139.pdf

And if your thinking of applying for one, you can have a look for vacancies online, this will give you an idea of the type of apprenticeships available and what the role will involve, to see if its suitable for you.

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

Good luck and if you need any more information please let me know.

Liz :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I really need help at the moment because i want to know your thoughts on the matter. Just now i argued with my mum because i was talking to her about apprenticeships, in which she replies ''You can't do an apprenticeship, you're not mature enough, you'll just be cheap labour'' Which really annoyed me, because of the blatent disrespect and how she has no faith in me. I know you could see this as ''She's trying to make sure that you're on the right tracks for a successful life'' but it's not how i see it personally due to her disrespectful attitude.

What should i do? Can i still apply for a apprenticeship even without her choice. Because i rather shape my own future then my own mum. I have been trying to do college courses which my mum said i should do, but i don't even know what to do for the courses except core maths.

Many thanks,

Anonymous

Its your choice as to what you do in your future, she is only looking out with you. I would apologise for the arguement and then try and find some good apprenticeships which you can show your mum to help her come around to the idea. but in the end its totally your decision 100%

be aware though, a lot of my freinds went into apprenticeships and they literally learnt nothing and were "cheap labour" as you would say for 2 years. luckily most got hired by the company after but some didnt, so ask about job prospects post apprenticeship, it might give your mum some happiness in knowing you have job progression and stability.

she is your mum, its your job to prove to her you have thought this through, carefully considered all options and can put a good backing behind why you want to do this. Deep down she wants the best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending