The Student Room Group

Anyone do History and then Law, and if so, can you help me please?

Hullo
If I get circa 8A*s at GCSE can I do History then Law, or are my grades not good enough?
Thanks
Duck
Original post by Duck10101
Hullo
If I get circa 8A*s at GCSE can I do History then Law, or are my grades not good enough?
Thanks
Duck

I think you would need 10 A*s for Law and 9 A*s for History.

Maybe you could do Land Economy?
Reply 2
Original post by Volvic Water
I think you would need 10 A*s for Law and 9 A*s for History.

Maybe you could do Land Economy?

Where did you get those numbers from sorry?

I forgive you.

I study at Cambridge and that is what admissions tutors have told me.

He's being sarcastic.

There's no fixed number of A*s that you need to study at Cambridge, although the more the better, as with all high grades. Generally speaking, for Cambridge, A Levels (more specifically, AS UMS, if your school/college has retained the AS Level) are far more important, so don't worry too much about GCSEs -- eight A*s is perfectly fine. Focus on doing well at A Levels.
Original post by Hydeman
He's being sarcastic.

There's no fixed number of A*s that you need to study at Cambridge, although the more the better, as with all high grades. Generally speaking, for Cambridge, A Levels (more specifically, AS UMS, if your school/college has retained the AS Level) are far more important, so don't worry too much about GCSEs -- eight A*s is perfectly fine. Focus on doing well at A Levels.

Erm excuse me? Do you go to Cambridge? No, didn't think so, so please don't give the OP such terrible advice.
Reply 6
Hullo
Thanks
Duck

History THEN Law? Can you clarify... do you want to do a History degree at Cambridge and then Law postgrad?

If so, your GCSE grades will be fine, but are only one part of your total application.

By the way, Cambridge doesn't offer GDL.
Reply 7
Whats GDL please?
Reply 8
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
What would I have to do then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
How would I go about getting a post grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What would I have to do then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? To do a GDL...? Read the links - there are numerous places to do the GDL.

Also http://www.sra.org.uk/students/conversion-courses/cpe-gdl-providers.page
Reply 12
How would I go about getting a post grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do well at your GCSEs first :wink: Then do well at your A-Levels... then do a degree in a subject you enjoy, THEN you do the GDL.
Reply 13
Whats GDL please?

The GDL is the Graduate Diploma in Law. If you want to be a solicitor (which I'm assuming is the case) you have to do either a law degree (undergrad course) and then the Legal Practice Course (a post grad) OR another degree, like history, a conversion course which is the GDL and then the LPC. The GDL is also a post grad so you would apply to do it after you have completed your history degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending