The Student Room Group

Polar coordinate help needed

image.jpgCould someone tell me if I'm on the right track or I am going off on a tangent
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hjyu1
image.jpgCould someone tell me if I'm on the right track or I am going off on a tangent
Attachment not found

Well, you have rr - this is your distance from the origin. To maximise the distance from the origin you need to maximise rr, hence, you want drdθ=0\frac{\mathrm{d}r}{ \mathrm{d}\theta } = 0.

You needn't expand rr out to do this - a simple application of the product rule from the initial expression would have done so.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Well, you have rr - this is your distance from the origin. To maximise the distance from the origin you need to maximise rr, hence, you want drdθ=0\frac{\mathrm{d}r}{ \mathrm{d}\theta } = 0.

You needn't expand rr out to do this - a simple application of the product rule from the initial expression would have done so.

Omg I can't believe I didn't see that that's like core 1 work. Cheers hopefully this comes in the real exam
Reply 3
Original post by Hjyu1
Omg I can't believe I didn't see that that's like core 1 work. Cheers hopefully this comes in the real exam

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest