The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swirly
ergo, thoughts on Jews?

Why are there so few Jewish footballers? I can't think of any well known ones besides Yossi Benayoun
Original post by sr90
Why are there so few Jewish footballers? I can't think of any well known ones besides Yossi Benayoun

Probably because their parents wouldn't let them spend such time on such a trivial pursuit, to where they can develop the skills to become a professional. Same as Asians really.
Original post by sr90
Jesus only had 12

:lol:
Original post by sr90
Definition of 'sideman'

it isnt
Reply 2344
Sr showing his understanding of street talk. Smh.
It's like David Cameron going down to Thornton Heath and shouting "is it cuz I is black batty boy?"
Original post by Jimmy Seville
It's like David Cameron going down to Thornton Heath and shouting "is it cuz I is black batty boy?"

Does anybody here live by themselves in the North?

Trying to budget for next year and not sure how realistic 13k would be for a year's rent + living costs.
Shouldn't have council tax because I'll be a full time student again but I have no idea how much I can expect bills to be.
Don't you have bare dolla lying around? Check your silk pyjamas...
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Don't you have bare dolla lying around? Check your silk pyjamas...

Well I'll have saved £13k (actually more because I started in my overdraft) in about 7 months so I don't think I've done too bad. It's just a question of whether I can live for an entire year without getting a part time job.

The course is only a single year and I really don't want to be distracted by a job. It's only 2 days full time and the rest will be work experience/study time so having a job on top of that would be a nightmare.

Can't afford to mess up the highest qualification I'll ever get, but if I literally can't afford it, I guess I'm gonna have to get a job :/
Original post by Lúcio

Trying to budget for next year and not sure how realistic 13k would be for a year's rent + living costs.
Shouldn't have council tax because I'll be a full time student again but I have no idea how much I can expect bills to be.

It's enough but don't expect to save much

Edit: Just realised you'll have 13k saved, rather than that being your salary for the year. Yeah you'll be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio

I assume the North is similar in price to Cardiff, and I get by on my student loan ~4K and then about £40 a week from my job. I think 13k should cover it. If you're living on your own though, that could be different.
Original post by Lúcio
Is that you?

Even i'm not that bad! :lol:

13k in savings is perfectly fine btw. I had less than half that when I finished uni and I survived until March when I got my first "proper" job. In Leeds you could probably get a studio with all bills included for under 500 quid.

You'll hardly be living in luxury but then as a Masters student you won't have time to anyway. If worst comes to the worst you could always get a job behind a bar for a few hours a week or something.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
It's enough but don't expect to save much

Edit: Just realised you'll have 13k saved, rather than that being your salary for the year. Yeah you'll be fine.

Yeah I don't expect to have any left when I'm done - this is literally money to counteract me not having a paid job for a year.

It's bills that are really messing me up; I have no idea how much they'll cost so it's hard to budget.
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I don't expect to have any left when I'm done - this is literally money to counteract me not having a paid job for a year.

It's bills that are really messing me up; I have no idea how much they'll cost so it's hard to budget.

If you're living on your own, electricity, water and internet is about £75 a month. Up to you if you want to have Sky/Virgin too. No council tax (which is probably the biggest killer) as you're a student.
If you're only in 2 days, avoid City Centre. Stay in Headingley (the side further away from uni), every bus from there takes you to uni steps and you can cut costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@SA-1 thoughts

Original post by sr90
Even i'm not that bad! :lol:

13k in savings is perfectly fine btw. I had less than half that when I finished uni and I survived until March when I got my first "proper" job. In Leeds you could probably get a studio with all bills included for under 500 quid.

You'll hardly be living in luxury but then as a Masters student you won't have time to anyway. If worst comes to the worst you could always get a job behind a bar for a few hours a week or something.

Honestly I'm not THAT bothered where I'm living - I just wanna live alone because if I get a job in Leeds straight out of uni, it would be nice to already have a place.

I currently commute to work so I wouldn't even care about living a train stop away if prices were too expensive for me in Leeds. Although there does seem to be a LOT of places to live in the city and its suburbs so I doubt I'd need to live more than a 20-30 minute walk from the uni.

Exactly - the course is full time but still only 2 days so I would imagine I'll spend another 3 days per week either studying or doing some out of uni work experience/project. Since the area is very much practical, I expect there will be a fair amount to do outside of study hours.

My only worry is that my contract at LBG expires at the end of June, and I'll have 13k in the bank by then. However any money I spend between then and September is just eating in to what I have to spend while I'm at uni.

I could definitely do with the break, but man it's gonna be a dull summer. At least Euro 2016 and the Olympics are on though.

Latest