The Student Room Group

A Level grades: CDE & Extenuating Circumstances & Any tutors?

Hello,
I feel I will achieve a C in Economics, D in Maths, E in Business A level this results day August 2016.
A little brief background:
After year 11, I took a gap year as I was unsure if I still wanted to pursue education. Then after my gap year, I attended college studying Maths, Computing & Accounting however left college in December as teaching was rubbish and decided to self teach Mathematics and Economics AS and I achieved UU at the end of the year.
I then decided to do BTEC so I went College studying BUSINESS BTEC Diploma with the aim to complete it in one year. Handing in assignments was fine although I did feel like I preferred A levels however it was going fine but I had little concentration in class and would always talk with my peers and tell my teacher Ile make sure to complete the work at home which I did. This led to me being excluded because I distracted other students. However what's important here is I have a left ear hearing loss and I therefore suffer from 'Visual Distraction' where I lose concentration and find it difficult to keep concentration however both I and the college was unaware of this during my appeal for me to be reinstated at the college. (I was unaware as I didn't understand the effects of my hearing loss at the time)

No other colleges would allow to carry on my BTEC so now I am self teaching Mathematics, Business, Economics AS & A2 and taking both AS/A2 exams May/June2016. I have some help from a tutor but I only get an hour a day a week with him.
I feel I'm on track to achieve C in Economics, D in Mathematics, E in Business.

1) Would my situation be classed as extenuating circumstances that unis would consider lowering their entry requirements when I go through clearing

2) What universities are likely to accept CDE on Accounting & Finance course through clearing and maybe taking into consideration extenuating circumstances?

3) Is there anyone on here that could maybe help me with Maths for free (I can give money when I get a job in summer and therefore pay you back) - I live in South London and happy to travel.

Thank you.
Original post by deenattireco
Hello,
I feel I will achieve a C in Economics, D in Maths, E in Business A level this results day August 2016.
A little brief background:
After year 11, I took a gap year as I was unsure if I still wanted to pursue education. Then after my gap year, I attended college studying Maths, Computing & Accounting however left college in December as teaching was rubbish and decided to self teach Mathematics and Economics AS and I achieved UU at the end of the year.
I then decided to do BTEC so I went College studying BUSINESS BTEC Diploma with the aim to complete it in one year. Handing in assignments was fine although I did feel like I preferred A levels however it was going fine but I had little concentration in class and would always talk with my peers and tell my teacher Ile make sure to complete the work at home which I did. This led to me being excluded because I distracted other students. However what's important here is I have a left ear hearing loss and I therefore suffer from 'Visual Distraction' where I lose concentration and find it difficult to keep concentration however both I and the college was unaware of this during my appeal for me to be reinstated at the college. (I was unaware as I didn't understand the effects of my hearing loss at the time)

No other colleges would allow to carry on my BTEC so now I am self teaching Mathematics, Business, Economics AS & A2 and taking both AS/A2 exams May/June2016. I have some help from a tutor but I only get an hour a day a week with him.
I feel I'm on track to achieve C in Economics, D in Mathematics, E in Business.

1) Would my situation be classed as extenuating circumstances that unis would consider lowering their entry requirements when I go through clearing

2) What universities are likely to accept CDE on Accounting & Finance course through clearing and maybe taking into consideration extenuating circumstances?

3) Is there anyone on here that could maybe help me with Maths for free (I can give money when I get a job in summer and therefore pay you back) - I live in South London and happy to travel.

Thank you.

1) Each university has different criteria for ec's but late diagnosis of a disability might not be considered as one, however as your situation seems quite complex, i would recommend asking universities now what their policies are.
2) The thing is extenuating circumstances at best could make a university lienient by a couple of grades, if you miss your offer anymore than that unfortunately they probably wont accept you.
Heres the universities i could find that accept 180 ucas points although they are all for foundation years:

Bedfordshire
Chester
Cumbria
Derby
Essex
MMU
Keele
West london
South wales
Staffordshire
If you got CDD, then buckinghamshire new university and bedfordshire are possibilities for 1st year entry
Middlesex
Original post by claireestelle
1) Each university has different criteria for ec's but late diagnosis of a disability might not be considered as one, however as your situation seems quite complex, i would recommend asking universities now what their policies are.
2) The thing is extenuating circumstances at best could make a university lienient by a couple of grades, if you miss your offer anymore than that unfortunately they probably wont accept you.
Heres the universities i could find that accept 180 ucas points although they are all for foundation years:

Bedfordshire
Chester
Cumbria
Derby
Essex
MMU
Keele
West london
South wales
Staffordshire
If you got CDD, then buckinghamshire new university and bedfordshire are possibilities for 1st year entry
Middlesex

I don't want standard entry requirement unis as I can check that through What Uni website. Interested in the unis that give offers through clearing, usually a lot lower than standard entry requirements. Ideally anyone who has knowledge of a few unis and their clearing offers to let me know what uni would accept CDE through clearing.

Ile forget the extenuating circumstances then as it seems it isn't viable.
Original post by deenattireco
I don't want standard entry requirement unis as I can check that through What Uni website. Interested in the unis that give offers through clearing, usually a lot lower than standard entry requirements. Ideally anyone who has knowledge of a few unis and their clearing offers to let me know what uni would accept CDE through clearing.

Ile forget the extenuating circumstances then as it seems it isn't viable.

Unis aren't guaranteed to give you a lower offer in Clearing. The ones that do tend to be the kinds of unis that would give a lower offer anyway. Most of the unis on the list above would fit that criteria. You can look at UCAS Extra now to see which unis have the courses available still and it's likely that they will still have places available in Clearing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending