The Student Room Group

Serious question for A2 students - How many times have you cried this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
People cry over A-Levels? :redface:

People broke down in tears over tests in year 9, and we all started pulling all-nighters then. It's what school is like nowadays, grades are the only thing that matter, nothing else.
Original post by balanced
People broke down in tears over tests in year 9, and we all started pulling all-nighters then. It's what school is like nowadays, grades are the only thing that matter, nothing else.

I started pulling all nighters in year 11...

But you're right that is how school is, but we give into the pressure I suppose. Personally I've felt like nothing else matters... A-levels have been my only priority all year, I haven't cared about anything else at all. But this mindset has caused lots of upset and stress.

B's feel like the end of the world, they really do and it's pathetic, but I cant get over it. :s-smilie:
Like all the time! I guess I'm just really emotional. I cry for all sorts of reasons - not just specifically due to exam stress. Sometimes I don't even know why I feel so upset and am crying. Although, I did have a major breakdown this week and the week before that too! :frown: Trying to keep it together and reminding myself that everything will be fine, no matter what (I hope).

Not to mention feeling very sick and that I almost fainted in my chemistry mock - mainly because I felt very anxious. The sad thing is I try but I can't help feeling the way I do. However, I suppose I have 'trained' myself to handle things better than I would have otherwise. But it's still not enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I started pulling all nighters in year 11...

But you're right that is how school is, but we give into the pressure I suppose. Personally I've felt like nothing else matters... A-levels have been my only priority all year, I haven't cared about anything else at all. But this mindset has caused lots of upset and stress.

B's feel like the end of the world, they really do and it's pathetic, but I cant get over it. :s-smilie:

For me it's horrible when my parents say that I have it easy, and offload housework to me when I have like 3 past papers to do :/ I don't think adults understand school today.
Original post by balanced
For me it's horrible when my parents say that I have it easy, and offload housework to me when I have like 3 past papers to do :/ I don't think adults understand school today.

That's tough! :frown:

But you're right, I don't think they understand how much it can emotionally grip you, my mum doesn't understand why I get so stressed.
Reply 65
Crying over A levels??? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66

But you're right, I don't think they understand how much it can emotionally grip you, my mum doesn't understand why I get so stressed.

:facepalm:

Of course I do!
But I'm giving you proper life training :h:
Enjoy it, because once you have your own ungrateful kids, you'll wish you were back at school doing all the "stressful" work!

:rofl:

I'm joking, kudiye :hugs:
aww its ok to cry now and then but dont let exam stress get to you to the point youll have a breakdown. take breaks and do something you like to ease your mind a bit. if you like sports, running a lap or two is quite good. even if you dont do as well as you had hoped, its not the end of the day hun. I know grades mean a lot in our society but dont let it define you and make you miserable. Theres so much more out there, so many options if one doesnt work out: **** it! you know you did your best and gave it all your efforts.
Crying about school doesnt make anything better right? usually it leaves you with an annoying headache afterwards which makes working even harder. So when you feel a tide rising in your chest: move away from your books. Go get some snack, watch a video, get some fresh air whatever to give your brain a break.
So dont cry! its not worth straining your mental health for academics
Reply 68
Not that much.

I get a terrible, inexorable feeling in my stomach when I consider how close exams are though. My offer is (unreasonably) high, and I'm terrified of what I regard as personal failure after I've set a precedent these past few years. I don't think anyone else specifically cares about my grades, but it seems as though there's a general expectation for me to do well - as in there's no doubt about it. Does that make sense?

You know, when you try to mention this fear to other people and they dismiss it with 'nah, I bet you'll do well'. Doesn't help and lumps on more pressure.

Aww :jumphug: Give it your best shot but don't let it affect you so much. It's not worth more than your wellbeing :no:
Original post by nucdev
:facepalm:

Of course I do!
But I'm giving you proper life training :h:
Enjoy it, because once you have your own ungrateful kids, you'll wish you were back at school doing all the "stressful" work!

:rofl:

I'm joking, kudiye :hugs:

Sounds like something my mum would say though XD
Original post by Indeterminate
Aww :jumphug: Give it your best shot but don't let it affect you so much. It's not worth more than your wellbeing :no:

Thank you :hugs:

I can't wait for summer tbh! :redface:
Reply 72
Yes, I'm going to skip on thorpe park this summer and stay at home and do that. :h:

Never watched desperate housewives so I have no idea what you're talking about :redface:

There's no need to rush, you have everyday of the year to do it :tongue:

That feeling of disappointment :cry: You MUST watch it over the summer holidays.
Reply 73
Sounds like something my mum would say though XD

Lol I think everyone's mum would.

My mum used to say something of the sort literally every day during my A-Levels :lol:
Original post by nucdev
Lol I think everyone's mum would.

My mum used to say something of the sort literally every day during my A-Levels :lol:

She says that when she gets tired of me moaning at home...

she is like "What are you so stressed about? it's just exams, wait till you have to pay bills and cook for yourself and have children"

And I'm like..."okay mother :redface:..."

But she is supportive at times, so it's alright :tongue:
Reply 75
She says that when she gets tired of me moaning at home...

she is like "What are you so stressed about? it's just exams, wait till you have to pay bills and cook for yourself and have children"

And I'm like..."okay mother :redface:..."

But she is supportive at times, so it's alright :tongue:

I'm afraid it won't get any better when you move to uni - at least it didn't for me.
Cue the constant reminder that uni life is only temporary and sooner or later you have to come back into the "real world" of job, bills, family etc. :sigh:
Original post by elen90

You know, when you try to mention this fear to other people and they dismiss it with 'nah, I bet you'll do well'. Doesn't help and lumps on more pressure.

It may not help, but it's probably true. It's common to make a wild underestimate of how you're likely to perform, particularly if you're someone with very high standards.

How about this: I bet you'll do well, but, if you don't, it's fine and you'll get over it. Either way, worrying about it now won't help. The ideal emotional state for revision is determined and serious, but also always aware that this is not life and death.

People naturally get deeply stressed about whatever it is they're doing right now, particularly when they're 18 and don't have that much perspective, but when you've worried about A2s and they've worked out fine, and you've worried about each year's uni exams, and then finals, and they've all worked out fine, you start to realise that worry doesn't get you anywhere and everything's probably going to work out fine.
I swear I've cried at least once a week since January....

Anyone else? :redface:

Spoiler

Last time I cried was on Results day and ever since then I became dead inside.

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
It was on Results day and ever since then I became dead inside.

I think I've had those moments of being dead inside too :redface:
I cried once in A2 during a Chemistry ISA. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest