The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Hy
(edited 7 years ago)
Since George and Lennie came up in 2014, are you still going to study the characters in depth???
Original post by Ella_08
Since George and Lennie came up in 2014, are you still going to study the characters in depth???

Can't take any chances
Original post by CFCITBC
I am struggling to understand the character of Carlson. I only have a few points about him but these are not enough to write a well structured response in case he comes up. This is what I've got so far :
He is a “a powerful big stomached man”
He doesn't understand relationships, he wants Candy to shoot his dog because it doesn't benefit him so he doesn't understand that you can love someone/something even if it doesn't give you anything in return
He is very insensitive as he describes the way he will shoot Candy's dog

I need more points about him, any ideas? thanks

Perhaps Carlson is the embodiment of an evil that has no compassion,an evil created by the desolation(loneliness) that was present at the time.?Idk your right he is a hard one to do.
Original post by Himtiaz
Can't take any chances

yeah true.. you're right
Original post by suhaislam
I'm studying 'An Inspector Calls' and 'Of Mice and Men'. I'm studying the 'relationship cluster'.

What's a good way to remember the information about the poetry clusters.

hi im doing all that too!! you know how to compare the poems im struggling too
Reply 206
Original post by Gingerbread101
A* :smile: full marks on my controlled assessment folder then the exam pulled me *just* off full UMS, so close yet so far :emo: all of the grades I got are on my profile :smile:

Hey Gingerbread.... do u have any notes on of mice and men and An inspector calls that u could send me ? :colondollar:
Reply 207
Hi Emmark
Thanks for sharing these resourses but I cannot access these documents? Any suggestions please?
Original post by buzybe
Hey Gingerbread.... do u have any notes on of mice and men and An inspector calls that u could send me ? :colondollar:

There's a big resource thread for Of Mice and Men here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3247555 , but I don't really have anything on AIC :redface:
Reply 210
Original post by Gingerbread101
There's a big resource thread for Of Mice and Men here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3247555 , but I don't really have anything on AIC :redface:

Original post by suhaislam
I'm studying 'An Inspector Calls' and 'Of Mice and Men'. I'm studying the 'relationship cluster'.

What's a good way to remember the information about the poetry clusters.

Doing the exact same as you :smile: I'd suggest printing off blank copies of the poems and doing them from memory, you might be surprised at how much you remember, i just did one for The Farmer's Bride :smile:
Reply 212
Does anyone know of an aqa GCSE English language thread? Can't seem to find one :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
I'm doing the exact same.
Crucible: Abigail, Danforth, Hale, Mary Warren, Tituba, or Elizabeth
Mice and Men: the shooting of Candys dog
Character and Voice: Give and Ruined maid
In 2015, for mice and men it was the death of curleys wife, for poetry it was brendon gallacer and my last duchess. Can't remember what it was for crucible.
The 2015 papers are up, so go pree.
Trust me, the theme of discrimination was covered last year so it sort of makes Crooks/Candy coming up quite minimal. I think it will be most likely Dreams with a passage of Curley/"Weak ones" scene/Candy's dog or the cynical opening and ending scene! Good luck.
Reply 215
Apparently Mr Bruff predicts the 2016 named poems, anyone know what they are? I'd be really grateful if u reply!!
Reply 216
Original post by Blancosdos
Perhaps Carlson is the embodiment of an evil that has no compassion,an evil created by the desolation(loneliness) that was present at the time.?Idk your right he is a hard one to do.

I also think that in a way Carlson, represents reality. This is because he knows that things can't be the same forever, which is insinuated by the fact that he essentially crushes Candy's hope and belief that his dog hasn't lost it's value. Furthermore, through the action, of him shooting the dog, the permeating theme of the futility of the American dream is demonstrated. So I guess, you could say Carlson, similar to Slim, is a device used by Steinbeck to demonstrate the harsh reality of the depression and how intangible the American dream really was.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 217
He stopped a few years back because he incorrectly predicted a poem, which triggered an upset within the lazy who only revised said poem. It's a shame because apparently he was accurate every other year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oblivion99
The 2015 papers are up, so go pree.
Trust me, the theme of discrimination was covered last year so it sort of makes Crooks/Candy coming up quite minimal. I think it will be most likely Dreams with a passage of Curley/"Weak ones" scene/Candy's dog or the cynical opening and ending scene! Good luck.

Ehhh i won't mind dreams :smile:
Original post by Ram235
I also think that in a way Carlson, represents reality. This is because he knows that things can't be the same forever, which is insinuated by the fact that he essentially crushes Candy's hope and belief that his dog hasn't lost it's value. Furthermore, through the action, of him shooting the dog, the permeating theme of the futility of the American dream is demonstrated. So I guess, you could say Carlson, similar to Slim, is a device used by Steinbeck to demonstrate the harsh reality of the depression and how intangible the American dream really was.

Good point! I see a lot of people saying it will be the American Dream... if dreams do come up, in your opinion, do you think it will just be "how is the American Dream presented" or through a character such as "how is the American Dream presented through Candy/Carlson/Curley's Wife...etc" ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending