The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Give it a try for a day, you honestly feel so rejuvenated. I took one on Sunday - really helpful. Let me know if it works for you. :smile:

Will do!
Original post by EnglishMuon
Will do!

Yeah, mate, take Zain's advice on taking a break - it's helped me big time.
Original post by EnglishMuon
If you think that will help Ill give it a go. Theres nothing more I dont like than not doing maths but if it can help its worth it :smile:

I've been taking a break from hardcore STEP prep for the last two days to do a few A-Level papers. Will probably resume STEP tonight and will be doing a mock on the weekend.
I think it's good to take a break and do some A-Level; it certainly builds up a bit of confidence considering how easy it is XD.
Also it's good accuracy-practice for STEP :biggrin:.
Original post by Marxist
Yeah, mate, take Zain's advice on taking a break - it's helped me big time.

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I've been taking a break from hardcore STEP prep for the last two days to do a few A-Level papers. Will probably resume STEP tonight and will be doing a mock on the weekend.
I think it's good to take a break and do some A-Level; it certainly builds up a bit of confidence considering how easy it is XD.
Also it's good accuracy-practice for STEP :biggrin:.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I feel a little bit better today already even though i was still pretty busy, so hopefully I be ready enough to do some more step at the weekend :smile:
Reply 1884
June 2013, FP3:

Time: 1 hour and 4 minutes.
Total mark: 75

Q1: Meh, usual 5 minute bash.
Q2: Meh, usual 3 minute bash.
Q3: Made 2 mistakes and had to re-do the question 3(!!) times. 14 minutes. :erm:
Q4: Meh, usual 5 minute bash.
Q5: Easy matrices. 10 minutes. I hope we get something as easy as this in our exam. Hopefully something about 'finding the inverse' since it's really easy to check using a calculator.
Q6: 10 minute recurrence because my arithmetic was failing a bit. So had to check some stuff and be careful.
Q7: 7 minute bash. Loved this question. Fav on the paper.
Q8: Ew. Ugly vectors. Manageable although a bit timely with all the vectoring products and shiz. 10 minutes.

Just finished the paper and it's 5 a.m, time to hit the sack, wake up at a (hopefully) reasonable time and get a STEP mock done, if not, then I'll do an S3 and an FP2 paper.
Reply 1885
STEP II, 2009:

Time: 2 hours 52 minutes
Mark:

Q1: Got a full on this one in 13 minutes. Very pleased with myself.
Q2: Bit tricky, took me a lot of time as well. Due to an algebraic slip at the end, I'm giving myself 17/20.
Q3: Nice and easy full.
Q4: Not so nice, but still manage a full with some arithmetic fails. So 18/20
Q5: Bit fiddly, but managed to get a full bar a sign slip at the end. So 19/20
Q7: Got up to part (ii) (inclusive) so reckon I got 12/20.
Q12: Bit fiddly and some fails in (iv) means I'm only giving myself 15/20.

That's 109/120. I'll try and get an S3 and an FP2 paper done tonight and then hopefully finish off some of the leftover questions on this STEP paper that I wish I'd done.
Original post by Zacken
STEP II, 2009:

Mark:

Q2: Bit tricky, took me a lot of time as well. Due to an algebraic slip at the end, I'm giving myself 17/20.

That's 109/120. I'll try and get an S3 and an FP2 paper done tonight and then hopefully finish off some of the leftover questions on this STEP paper that I wish I'd done.

Glad I'm not the only one who got stuck on 7 (iii)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Glad I'm not the only one who got stuck on 7 (iii)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also didn't get part (iii) in Q7. It was a pretty big jump from how easy the first few parts were, so wasn't able to come up with the solution...
Original post by Zacken
STEP II, 2009:

Mark:

Q1 easiest II Q ever perhaps? XD Shortest at least :smile:.
I thought Q6 was nasty so it might be good that you didn't attempt that one. But maybe you'd find it ok idk.
Reply 1889
Q1 easiest II Q ever perhaps? XD Shortest at least :smile:.
I thought Q6 was nasty so it might be good that you didn't attempt that one. But maybe you'd find it ok idk.

Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow. It looked very nasty. :erm:

Q1 was such a pleasing result as well! :eek3: - so it really astounded me that it was the second least popular question on that paper. LIKE WTF?!?!
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow. It looked very nasty. :erm:

Q1 was such a pleasing result as well! :eek3: - so it really astounded me that it was the second least popular question on that paper. LIKE WTF?!?!

:O Wtf how.
Must've been the 'lines of symmetry' phrase that put everyone off lol. Never heard of everyone choosing not to do a 10 minute pure question.
But now that I think about it I only did that one towards the end of the mock!
I also didn't get part (iii) in Q7. It was a pretty big jump from how easy the first few parts were, so wasn't able to come up with the solution...

I think I made some progress but I couldn't squeeze the correct form out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1892
June 2012, FP2:

Time: 50 minutes
Mark: 75/75

Q1: Standard inequality. Sketched the graph for the bantz to verify my answer.
Q2: Easy polar question. Too easy, really. I like polars and wouldn't mind a nice big 12 marker or something coming up.
Q3: Tedious complex that I autopiloted through and then verified my answers by taking fourth powers.
Q4: Tedious second order DE. Managed the right answer in the end even if I barely showed any working.
Q5: Nice little Taylor-DE.
Q6: Pretty involved summation but worked out fine although it took me about half a page...
Q7: Really tedious DE, hated it.
Q8: Pretty tricky little complex loci. Managed to get it right but spent quite a bit of time working out an involved method for it. Need to get used to complex geometry more.
Reply 1893
June 2012, S3:

Total time: 50 minutes.
Total mark: 70/75 (93 UMS)

Q1: Standard Spearman, misinterpreted the hypothesis and gave it as two-tailed in (b) but only lost a mark, thank god for lenient markschemes.
Q2: I ****ing hate this ****. Like. What the actual ****.
Q3: All fine. Quick and easy as well. 5 marks for a confidence interval? Big lol.
Q4: Nice and easy 10 marks with contingency tables. I like these questions.
Q5: This one is just ugly but bearable. Managed to get it all correct.
Q6: Took me some time to remember how to do this but then it worked out fine in the end. Got the wrong degree of freedom though.
Q7: Nice and easy. I like this sort of question as well.
Original post by Zacken
June 2012, S3:
Q2: I ****ing hate this ****. Like. What the actual ****.

Do tell :smile:
Reply 1895
Original post by Gregorius
Do tell :smile:

That. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken

That. :tongue:

LOL. Would you feel brave enough to say that stratified random sampling could be used by dragnetting the entire lake of all the fish?
Reply 1897
Original post by Gregorius
LOL. Would you feel brave enough to say that stratified random sampling could be used by dragnetting the entire lake of all the fish?

I did feel like their choice of wording was overly authoritative for that part. :lol:

On the other hand, I've been going through an excellent set of probability theory lecture notes from a Harvard course that's really interesting me right now. MGF's/PGF's are really cool. :eek3:
Original post by Zacken
I did feel like their choice of wording was overly authoritative for that part. :lol:

On the other hand, I've been going through an excellent set of probability theory lecture notes from a Harvard course that's really interesting me right now. MGF's/PGF's are really cool. :eek3:

Set me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1899
Original post by physicsmaths
Set me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not quite a PDF, but here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending