The Student Room Group

Dont know what to put as first option for university...

So I have been given all my offers back and my insurance choice is Leeds trinity studying psychology as they only want an EE which means I am bound to get it.
However I am unsure of which course to put as my first choice. My options are
Huddersfield:
Psychology
Sociology and Psychology
Psychology and Criminology
The minimum they are wanting for these is BCD and I just don't know which to choose...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninjasayshi
So I have been given all my offers back and my insurance choice is Leeds trinity studying psychology as they only want an EE which means I am bound to get it.
Huddersfield:
Psychology
Sociology and Psychology
The minimum they are wanting for these is BCD and I just don't know which to choose...

What value will a degree be from these rather poor universities when all they want is EE to get in.

From experience - there are no jobs in criminology or psychology so your best bet would be the Sociology and Psychology option
Original post by squeakysquirrel
What value will a degree be from these rather poor universities when all they want is EE to get in.

From experience - there are no jobs in criminology or psychology so your best bet would be the Sociology and Psychology option

the offer was originally really high except where I live no one goes to university so they lowered it to persuade me to go into it
Reply 3
You're not going to get a job from any of these unis or any of these courses. Take a year out and find something worthwhile rather than rushing into uni 'because everybody else is'
Do psychology as you can progress to masters and once you get to PhD you get paid to study and get a job as a Pyschologist or a clinical Pyschologist
the offer was originally really high except where I live no one goes to university so they lowered it to persuade me to go into it

So if you are going to spend £27000 go to a better university - there are no jobs in psychology. Do sociology and definitely do not do the mickey mouse course criminology. Aim higher - they just want you to tick the boxes - you can do much better
So if you are going to spend £27000 go to a better university - there are no jobs in psychology. Do sociology and definitely do not do the mickey mouse course criminology. Aim higher - they just want you to tick the boxes - you can do much better

There are jobs with every degree, it's just dependent on how you apply yourself. Terrible advice to tell her to switch courses when this is something that OP is obviously interested in. She won't exceed in something that she's not interested in.
Huddersfield:
Psychology
Sociology and Psychology

Do you know what you'd like to be in the future?
What are you predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by cherryred90s
There are jobs with every degree, it's just dependent on how you apply yourself. Terrible advice to tell her to switch courses when this is something that OP is obviously interested in. She won't exceed in something that she's not interested in.

You know nothing - there are thousands of graduates each year with these pathetic visions of how the jobs will just come through the doors. My niece - from a very well to do family - graduated two years ago - still unemployed, her cousin - still unemployed, my colleagues children - working in a make up counter - the list goes on. The nonsense that has been perpetuated by successive governments that a degree will lead to a great career is one of the biggest farces ever. A degree from the rubbish university in criminology or psychology will NOT get you a great career - fact
You know nothing - there are thousands of graduates each year with these pathetic visions of how the jobs will just come through the doors. My niece - from a very well to do family - graduated two years ago - still unemployed, her cousin - still unemployed, my colleagues children - working in a make up counter - the list goes on. The nonsense that has been perpetuated by successive governments that a degree will lead to a great career is one of the biggest farces ever. A degree from the rubbish university in criminology or psychology will NOT get you a great career - fact

Clearly I know more than you because your comment was so incorrect. A degree will never speak for you. You will need experience, you will need a lot of knowledge, you will need good interview skills, you will need confidence and passion in order to even be considered for a good job.
There have been countless threads of people with 1sts from Oxbridge and other RG unis who are unemployed.
How can it be a fact when it is based on your own opinion? You didn't claim that the university was the issue, you said it was the degree itself.
Do you know what you'd like to be in the future?
What are you predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?

im predicted BCC and some sort of counselling or profiling :smile:
If you want to go into professional psychology, just make sure that the combined courses are BPS approved; this is needed for any professional psychology routes (including forensic I think) but not all of them offer it :smile:
im predicted BCC and some sort of counselling or profiling :smile:

In that case, I'd be on the lookout for unis with good links, which tend to be higher ranked. With those grades, I'm sure you'd find something or are you set on the universities you've listed? Have you had a look at their modules/optional placement or sandwich years?
In that case, I'd be on the lookout for unis with good links, which tend to be higher ranked. With those grades, I'm sure you'd find something or are you set on the universities you've listed? Have you had a look at their modules/optional placement or sandwich years?

yeah ive looked at them all and they seem OK for the courses and i don't mind doing an extra year or two to become fully qualified and yeah the modules are all similar and all do placements throughout
Clearly I know more than you because your comment was so incorrect. A degree will never speak for you. You will need experience, you will need a lot of knowledge, you will need good interview skills, you will need confidence and passion in order to even be considered for a good job.
There have been countless threads of people with 1sts from Oxbridge and other RG unis who are unemployed.
How can it be a fact when it is based on your own opinion? You didn't claim that the university was the issue, you said it was the degree itself.

This year there will be thousands of graduates - most will not get a job in their chosen field. Are you honestly telling me a degree in criminology from some rubbish university is going to trump a degree from an RG uni.

My three children - 2 science, 1 humanities - guess who struggled to find a job.

This nonsense has been going on for years - get real - the university the degree the A levels, the GCSEs - they are all an issue
This year there will be thousands of graduates - most will not get a job in their chosen field. Are you honestly telling me a degree in criminology from some rubbish university is going to trump a degree from an RG uni.

My three children - 2 science, 1 humanities - guess who struggled to find a job.

This nonsense has been going on for years - get real - the university the degree the A levels, the GCSEs - they are all an issue

Most will not get a job in their chosen field regardless of the degree they have. I'm telling you that you need more than the degree to secure a good job. You didn't originally claim that the university was the issue, you specifically mentioned the degree itself. Criminology is quite broad and so I'd say that it would be better to get this degree from a better university with better links from accredited companies but the degree itself is not useless as you suggested.
Most will not get a job in their chosen field regardless of the degree they have. I'm telling you that you need more than the degree to secure a good job. You didn't originally claim that the university was the issue, you specifically mentioned the degree itself. Criminology is quite broad and so I'd say that it would be better to get this degree from a better university with better links from accredited companies but the degree itself is not useless as you suggested.

So even you admit that a better university is a step up......

I am guessing you are in your twenties..... give it a couple of decades before you start pronouncing on peoples future -- and I did say the uni was useless - look at my original post

All the courses are certified so they are accepted no matter the university.Just because someone went to a RG uni doesnt mean it trumps other uni degrees. I know other people with strong degrees in different subjects and they havent got a job in their chosen field.
All the courses are certified so they are accepted no matter the university.Just because someone went to a RG uni doesnt mean it trumps other uni degrees. I know other people with strong degrees in different subjects and they havent got a job in their chosen field.

You said yourself that you are the first in your area to be accepted - aim higher. Believe me I have knowledge in this area - universities can be very seductive - offer burseries to come here and great conditions etc. I will lay a pound to a penny that they have offered to pay most of your fees and have guaranteed your accommodations and then they will guarantee you a placement and a job...

Ignore squeakysquirrel and do whatever it is that you're interested in. If you're truly passionate, you will succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest