The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

About to do IAL S15, wish me luck!
Hi, Please could someone do a worked solution to question 12a please june 2004 paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202004%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf as I don't really understand the method on the mark scheme, thank you :smile:
Original post by economicss
Hi, Please could someone do a worked solution to question 12a please june 2004 paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202004%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf as I don't really understand the method on the mark scheme, thank you :smile:

Is there a specific but that you don't understand about the markscheme? Have you looked at examsolutions.net videos on complex transformations? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Is there a specific but that you don't understand about the markscheme? Have you looked at examsolutions.net videos on complex transformations? :smile:

Yeah, I understand how you get to the fraction representing w but I don't really understand how you'd know to go from here to finding the modulus of the numerator and denominator as I've not seen this method used before? :smile: Yeah I have, but I'm still struggling with bits of them quite a lot :/ Thanks
Reply 324
Can someone please help me with this step? I don't understand where the (pie/3 - theta ) goes

btw it is from Jan05 p4 Q7
Thanksbtw it
(edited 7 years ago)
image.jpg
Original post by Cpj16
Can someone please help me with this step? I don't understand where the (pie/3 - theta ) goes

Thanksbtw it

Not sure if this helps, but this is the working I did for the question :smile:
Reply 326
image.jpg
Not sure if this helps, but this is the working I did for the question :smile:

thanks :smile: , I do understand this (this was part a of the question )

if possible could you explain the step I attached earlier

edit:the image is part of the mark scheme and is not a question I just don't understand how they got there
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cpj16

edit:the image is part of the mark scheme and is not a question I just don't understand how they got there

Sure, is it part c you'd like a worked solution to? :smile:
Reply 328
Sure, is it part c you'd like a worked solution to? :smile:

yes please that would be really helpful
Original post by Cpj16

Thanksbtw it

cos(π3θ)=12cosθ+32sinθ\displaystyle \cos \left(\frac{\pi}{3} - \theta\right) = \frac{1}{2}\cos \theta + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin \theta

So 6cosθ(12(cosθ+3sinθ)=3cos2θ+33sinθcosθ\displaystyle 6\cos \theta \left(\frac{1}{2}(\cos \theta + \sqrt{3}\sin \theta\right) = 3\cos^2 \theta + 3\sqrt{3}\sin \theta \cos \theta

Therefore: cos2θ+3sinθcosθ=1    \cos^2 \theta + \sqrt{3}\sin \theta \cos \theta = 1 \iff \cdots
Reply 330
Original post by Zacken
cos(π3θ)=12cosθ+32sinθ\displaystyle \cos \left(\frac{\pi}{3} - \theta\right) = \frac{1}{2}\cos \theta + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin \theta

So 6cosθ(12(cosθ+3sinθ)=3cos2θ+33sinθcosθ\displaystyle 6\cos \theta \left(\frac{1}{2}(\cos \theta + \sqrt{3}\sin \theta\right) = 3\cos^2 \theta + 3\sqrt{3}\sin \theta \cos \theta

Therefore: cos2θ+3sinθcosθ=1    \cos^2 \theta + \sqrt{3}\sin \theta \cos \theta = 1 \iff \cdots

thank you!! I would rate you up but tsr is telling to not rate the same member again
Original post by Cpj16

:smile:image.jpg
Reply 332
:smile:image.jpg

Thank you!!!
Original post by Cpj16
thank you!! I would rate you up but tsr is telling to not rate the same member again

Nobody seems to be able to rep me, conspiracy. :erm:

jk, no problem! :smile:
Reply 334
Original post by edothero

I'm half-way through TeeEm's booklet, some really really tough questions at the end..

where can I find this booklet!! need some extra revision material.
thanks
and good luck with your studies :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

It's probably obvious but on the MS how do you know that the square root of lambda+1 squared plus lambda squared is 1? Thanks :smile:
It's probably obvious but on the MS how do you know that the square root of lambda+1 squared plus lambda squared is 1? Thanks :smile:

It's not saying the square root of the thingies squared is 1. It's saying that w=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)iw = \frac{\lambda + 1 + \lambda i}{\lambda + (\lambda +1)i}

So that w=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)i=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)i=(λ+1)2+λ2λ2+(λ+1)2=1\displaystyle |w| = \left| \frac{\lambda + 1 + \lambda i}{\lambda + (\lambda +1)i}\right| = \frac{|\lambda + 1 + \lambda i|}{|\lambda + (\lambda +1)i|} = \frac{\sqrt{(\lambda+1)^2 + \lambda^2}}{\sqrt{\lambda^2 + (\lambda + 1)^2}} = 1

i.e: the modulus of the numerator is the same as the modulus of the denominator. Hence the modulus of the entire thing is just 1.
Original post by Zacken
It's not saying the square root of the thingies squared is 1. It's saying that w=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)iw = \frac{\lambda + 1 + \lambda i}{\lambda + (\lambda +1)i}

So that w=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)i=λ+1+λiλ+(λ+1)i=(λ+1)2+λ2λ2+(λ+1)2=1\displaystyle |w| = \left| \frac{\lambda + 1 + \lambda i}{\lambda + (\lambda +1)i}\right| = \frac{|\lambda + 1 + \lambda i|}{|\lambda + (\lambda +1)i|} = \frac{\sqrt{(\lambda+1)^2 + \lambda^2}}{\sqrt{\lambda^2 + (\lambda + 1)^2}} = 1

i.e: the modulus of the numerator is the same as the modulus of the denominator. Hence the modulus of the entire thing is just 1.

Ah yes ofc, I'm being stupid! Thanks for your help :smile:
Ah yes ofc, I'm being stupid! Thanks for your help :smile:

No worries. :smile:
For de moivre's theorem, do we need to know the proof for both positive and negative integers? I mean positive i can manage it's just proof by induction by negative is just like extraaa...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending