The Student Room Group

Online Relationship vs Real Life Relationship

I've got a friend online that we jokingly call each other Boyfriend and Girlfriend. He lives in Mexico and we talk everyday, he is the person i turn to when I have a problem. He is coming to work in England soon, we've made plans for when he comes over.

I've met a real person and we've gone on a few date's and I really like him. We are going to different universities in the Autumn.

That's going to mean two online long distance relationships. I should give on up both or just one.
You need to clarify whether they expect these relationships to be exclusive or whether you're going to continue seeing other people, or someone will end up getting hurt. It really depends if you want to turn either of these into a proper 'real life' relationship or not, and whether you think that would be possible. Going to different universities doesn't mean that you have to stay as an online relationship, necessarily. You also might want to consider keeping your options open in case you meet someone at uni.
Dono hato me laddo
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte49
You need to clarify whether they expect these relationships to be exclusive or whether you're going to continue seeing other people, or someone will end up getting hurt. It really depends if you want to turn either of these into a proper 'real life' relationship or not, and whether you think that would be possible. Going to different universities doesn't mean that you have to stay as an online relationship, necessarily. You also might want to consider keeping your options open in case you meet someone at uni.

The Mexican boyfriend knows about the real life boyfriend and is happy for me. He has asked me if i want to stop. I said i don't know whats going to happen.
The mexican boyfriend I presume you have never met in person and may or may not have spoken to him on the phone/skyped. The way someone portrays themselves on the internet is very different to how they will be in real life. Reading an online message is not the same as speaking to them in real life. You could absolutely hate the guy/not feel a connection/not be attracted to him when you eventually meet him so if I where you this would be the one I would be willing to give up as you know you like the other guy and you have actually met him in person and have enjoyed dates with him.

Just because you are going to different universities would not make your relationship another 'online' one, it would be long distance so there is a difference because you would actually be seeing the person in real life. If you genuinely do like this guy (and not just because its a guy in real life giving you attention not cyber attention) then I would have a talk with him about whether the fact you are both going to university will change anything and whether you will still be seeing each other exclusively. Make sure you have this chat before you are too emotionally invested as otherwise if your not on the same page with each other you may just end up getting hurt
Original post by Anonymous
The Mexican boyfriend knows about the real life boyfriend and is happy for me. He has asked me if i want to stop. I said i don't know whats going to happen.

Sounds like a keeper
Original post by physicst
Dono hato me laddo

Speech impediment?
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Sounds like a keeper

Hardly, probably cries himself to sleep every night
Original post by samina_ay
Hardly, probably cries himself to sleep every night

So would I if I lived in Mexico
online - fake unless you meet them afterwards
real - is real - but relationships are relationships - breaking up and patching up is pretty common :u:
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
So would I if I lived in Mexico

Good thing you don't lol :wink:
Or just looking for a girl in the UK - so has one ready when he arrives. Lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending