The Student Room Group

Studying Aerospace engineering in Leeds or Manchester

Hi everyone! This is my first time using this forum and I have struggled of where study aerospace enineering.

I have received 4 offers out of 5 now and the offer I am currently holding are
from the Uni of Bristol , the Uni of Southampton and the two I have just mentioned on my title.

Due to some reasons Bristol and Southampton are going to charge me as an oversea student for fee purposes but the rest of the two don't.It is very likely that I will reject these the offers from Bristol and Southampton.

So If I am going to choose to study aerospace engineering in either Manchester or Leeds, which one would you pick guys?

The degree that have offered to me from Manchester is Aerospace Engineering with Management whereas the one from Leeds is just an Aerospace Engineering degree.Which one should I choose for better career prospects?

I know the ranking of Leeds is around the 8th this year but manchester is around the 28th so there is quite a difference really......

would that be a huge lost of me not going to Bristol or Southampton?

Please give me some suggestion guys your help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:
Aloo pik University of the Witwatersrand ok gud by
Reply 2
There's no difference in terms of prospects. Choose the course (check the syllabus) and the city you prefer.
Reply 3
Original post by BeFoUr
There's no difference in terms of prospects. Choose the course (check the syllabus) and the city you prefer.

But how about the ranking of these two universities? Do their rankings matter when it comes to choosing a suitable course for myself?

I feel comfortable with both the syllabi and I don't mind going to either of the cities for my degree as well...Can you give me more advice please?:s-smilie:
I'd say either is a bit of a loss compared to Bristol or Southampton, while Leeds is on a similar level it is very mechanical focused which I'd argue kinda defeats the point of an aero degree. Manchester has more EEE stuff like Bristol and Southampton but like you said it's not as high up.

Out of curiosity what are the circumstances where Bristol and Soton want to treat you as overseas for fee purposes? I can think of one situation where you could get charged home fees at one uni but not at another and even then it's usually adjusted fees which are still covered by funding rather than full overseas fees.
Reply 5
Original post by ryanahaha
But how about the ranking of these two universities? Do their rankings matter when it comes to choosing a suitable course for myself?

I feel comfortable with both the syllabi and I don't mind going to either of the cities for my degree as well...Can you give me more advice please?:s-smilie:

I don't know how it works for Aerospace Engineering but I doubt it. I assume that both courses are accredited, so employers already know that you have relevant and sufficient knowledge, and despite what anyone on TSR says they don't look up university rankings when choosing between candidates. Leeds and Manchester are both reputable establishments anyway so you don't need to worry about reputation. Your only decision to make should be which syllabus you prefer, and/or which city. I go to Leeds so I can tell you that teaching standards are high, the Engineering departments are some of the best in the UK and students consistently get top jobs in their fields after graduating. Campus is smack bang in the centre, if you're into nightlife it's arguably the best in the UK and there's an extremely diverse range of people from all different backgrounds. The majority of that can also be said for Manchester however, so really it comes down to your preference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say either is a bit of a loss compared to Bristol or Southampton, while Leeds is on a similar level it is very mechanical focused which I'd argue kinda defeats the point of an aero degree. Manchester has more EEE stuff like Bristol and Southampton but like you said it's not as high up.

Out of curiosity what are the circumstances where Bristol and Soton want to treat you as overseas for fee purposes? I can think of one situation where you could get charged home fees at one uni but not at another and even then it's usually adjusted fees which are still covered by funding rather than full overseas fees.

Well, Bristol sent me an email asking me to reply their fee questionnaire before. Their reply was that they are going to treat me as an oversea students as I haven't stayed in the UK long enough for ordinary residence. They are going to charge me the full amount of tuition fee as an oversea student.(Even if I took a gap year!)

The funny thing is Manchester had sent me a letter confirming my fee status of a home student just before Bristol contacted me. lol

The student Finance England Have already approved my tuition loan application for studying in Manchester. I wonder should I try changing my application for Bristol and see if I can get through that.:s-smilie:Still thinking should I do that though because might have a risk of losing the funding for Manchester as well once they the SFE didnt approve it.
Reply 7
Original post by BeFoUr
I don't know how it works for Aerospace Engineering but I doubt it. I assume that both courses are accredited, so employers already know that you have relevant and sufficient knowledge, and despite what anyone on TSR says they don't look up university rankings when choosing between candidates. Leeds and Manchester are both reputable establishments anyway so you don't need to worry about reputation. Your only decision to make should be which syllabus you prefer, and/or which city. I go to Leeds so I can tell you that teaching standards are high, the Engineering departments are some of the best in the UK and students consistently get top jobs in their fields after graduating. Campus is smack bang in the centre, if you're into nightlife it's arguably the best in the UK and there's an extremely diverse range of people from all different backgrounds. The majority of that can also be said for Manchester however, so really it comes down to your preference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! The location of the Uni of Manchester is at the city centre as well so there won't pretty much a difference I suppose:biggrin:

I am more appealed to the course list from Manchester because they offer more insights into the area of management too so it might equip me with more transferable skills than the course from Leeds.:smile: Really appreciate your advice bro!
Reply 8
Well, Bristol sent me an email asking me to reply their fee questionnaire before. Their reply was that they are going to treat me as an oversea students as I haven't stayed in the UK long enough for ordinary residence. They are going to charge me the full amount of tuition fee as an oversea student.(Even if I took a gap year!)

The funny thing is Manchester had sent me a letter confirming my fee status of a home student just before Bristol contacted me. lol

The student Finance England Have already approved my tuition loan application for studying in Manchester. I wonder should I try changing my application for Bristol and see if I can get through that.:s-smilie:Still thinking should I do that though because might have a risk of losing the funding for Manchester as well once they the SFE didnt approve it.

I have already had an A* in maths from last year as well so whenever I think about I cant go to Bristol which is the most preferable university of mine I just feel up super sad.:frown:

I would recommend you contact both unis about it as they should give the same result, if you're eligible for any help from SFE you should always be eligible for home fees. That or Manchester was wrong, in which case you'll save yourself from potentially being charged with fraud or being asked to repay your loan more immediately in the future.
Reply 10
Okay I will try to get in touch with both of the universities! Thank you for the advice!
If you dont mind me asking, what A-Levels are you doing and what are your predicted grades?
Reply 12
Original post by Darshan98
If you dont mind me asking, what A-Levels are you doing and what are your predicted grades?

I have already achieved an A* in mathematics last year and my predicted grades in further mathematics and physics are 2As. I wonder why you asked for this haha it's quite surprising to see a new reply to this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have already achieved an A* in mathematics last year and my predicted grades in further mathematics and physics are 2As. I wonder why you asked for this haha it's quite surprising to see a new reply to this thread.

No it's just that I was curious because I am doing my GCSE and even I want to do aerospace/aeronautical engineering at uni :biggrin: .
And I have been looking at the same unis you've applied to so just asked you.
I have chosen the same A-Levels as you and so I am glad I am on the right track. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest