The Student Room Group

PhD Studentship References

Hi, I've applied for a PhD Studentship - been a long slow process, waiting patiently. I'm not very hopeful - just heard the letters with decisions will be posted out this week but I know that my referees have not been contacted. Has anyone every been offered funding on condition of references? I was thinking they wouldn't make an offer until they had references and that was part of the hold up - hence I'm anticipating a rejection letter!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsHopeful
Hi, I've applied for a PhD Studentship (Ulster) - been a long slow process, waiting patiently. I'm not very hopeful - just heard the letters with decisions will be posted out this week but I know that my referees have not been contacted. Has anyone every been offered funding on condition of references? I was thinking they wouldn't make an offer until they had references and that was part of the hold up - hence I'm anticipating a rejection letter!!

If they've not contacted your referees, yet asked for references, then presumably your application was declined, and at an early stage. I'm sorry about that!
Reply 2
Original post by Euphiletos
If they've not contacted your referees, yet asked for references, then presumably your application was declined, and at an early stage. I'm sorry about that!

I fear you are right...but will just be good to know, accept this one wasn't for me and move on. I did have a strong application and did get invited to interview so disappointing but all part of the learning curve I suppose.
Different unis will do it differently so just wait and see what happens. Make sure you have a backup plan though. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending