The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHobbit
Well for my exams, I'd do fact files on each major character from the two texts I'd studied based on class notes and stuff of the internet. I'd include quotes and remember key ones that could be applied to a number of different questions (Doing lots of practise essays made me realise that you can use the same quote and just manipulate the ideas a bit to make it suit any question). I don't think remembering certain parts of the book would help because they could literally pick any page, but by doing lots of practice essays, you find that you'll cover a scene from pretty much every chapter.

Ah right this is very helpful thank you - I've started making profiles but wasn't sure if it was the way to go, so this has really helped :smile:

Thanks again
Thankyou, yeah reading that piece of paper on results day has got to be the proudest moment of my life so far. I can't really describe the feeling you get knowing all your hard work has paid off, and that you can finally relax after worrying about results all summer (by the way try not to do this, it's not good at all) Hopefully your results day will be just as great! Well I started the earliest for science, because as I did triple, I had 18 modules to cover and it was pretty daunting. What I find works best for me when recapping concepts and remembering facts is walking around the house, reading the revision guide out loud as if you're teaching it to someone else. It may sound a bit peculiar but I find it works really well for me. I then put the revision guide down and try to talk about the topics on the same page from memory. Closer to the exam, I basically just tried to do as many past papers as possible and then check the mark schemes, examiner reports and grade boundaries.
Hope this helps!

Haha Thank you i hope as well and same that is what i do as well i have this 'so-called imaginary friend' who i teach it to, to be honest it really helps. Oh, i never knew that examiner reports were any good. Thank you so so much for your help :smile: I also do triple like you hopefully i'll get great grades like you. Also thank you for spending your time writing every single tips. Much appreciated
UPDATE 24/04/16 :

1.A view from the bridge character profiles - Eddie,Beatrice,Catherine,Alfieri
2.French C.A - Learnt one paragraph
3.Biology 1- 45 Q&A's
4.Biology 1 - 2 past papers + looked over one past paper
5.Essay written
6.Psychology C - Did all the practice questions on booklet
7. LOTF - Read through themes notes
8. Tidied up my past paper folder because it was overflowing - this isn't revision but hey :dontknow:
UPDATE FOR 24/04/16

19 Sustainable tourism (Jamaica) Q Cards

Typed up notes on Holderness - Coastal Erosion and Coastal Management

Made 14 more Q cards on Studland Bay

German reading paper and new vocab noted

Made EU Development gap 42 cards

9 Cards on Yachana Eco Lodge

225 German Vocab Q Cards

15 ICT Q cards

15 Yellowstone Q Cards

15 Chemistry C4 Q Cards

Original post by nisha.sri
UPDATE 24/04/16 :

1.A view from the bridge character profiles - Eddie,Beatrice,Catherine,Alfieri
2.French C.A - Learnt one paragraph
3.Biology 1- 45 Q&A's
4.Biology 1 - 2 past papers + looked over one past paper
5.Essay written
6.Psychology C - Did all the practice questions on booklet
7. LOTF - Read through themes notes
8. Tidied up my past paper folder because it was overflowing - this isn't revision but hey :dontknow:

Well done again, it's amazing how much you achieve and even when you're not revising you're still being productive :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
UPDATE FOR 24/04/16

19 Sustainable tourism (Jamaica) Q Cards

Typed up notes on Holderness - Coastal Erosion and Coastal Management

Made 14 more Q cards on Studland Bay

German reading paper and new vocab noted

Made EU Development gap 42 cards

9 Cards on Yachana Eco Lodge

225 German Vocab Q Cards

15 ICT Q cards

15 Yellowstone Q Cards

15 Chemistry C4 Q Cards

Very very well done !! You've done so much :biggrin: Keep it up! Omg you do the case study Holderness as well wow so do I :biggrin:
Well done again, it's amazing how much you achieve and even when you're not revising you're still being productive :biggrin:

Thank you very much :biggrin: Haha that's only sometimes - when everything is messy i don't think i can even revise properly :wink:
Very very well done !! You've done so much :biggrin: Keep it up! Omg you do the case study Holderness as well wow so do I :biggrin:

Thank you! And that's cool - I'm going to make Q Cards on it if that will help you, they should be done tomorrow so feel free to use them through that website I linked :smile:
Hi, I started revising after the February half term, maybe doing two hours a night twice a week and then one hour on two other days - I always gave myself the day off on Friday and Saturday, which I felt was really important in making sure I didn't burn out. I left Sunday to complete any homework that had been set during the week. (I did fine art and there was LOADS of coursework that would take up most of the day) Whilst revising, I never did any more than an hour without having a ten minute break to have a quick break (drink lots of water). In regards to the papers, definitely finish covering the content before attempting any of them - although it may seem like there's a lot now, you'll soon finish them and they're the best resource you have. I personally did all of the ones I had access to, and it didn't seem that excessive, especially after exam leave starts. Knowing the content is only half of getting an A* - exam technique is just as important.

Thanks so much! That's a relief, ive always thought im not putting in enough work (6 hours a day on weekend days, 3-4 hours per school day since February half term)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update 24/04/16
I felt that I shouldn't update as I didn't much as I was only focused on ICT for the past few days. Well, back to updating.
Today I did
ICT past paper- A so i guess I'm improving
Revised the whole topic personal digital devices. I found a new way to revise ICT and that's by recording my voice. I'm so happy that I'm actually memorising some the content.
Looked at connectivity and operating online
Learned the keywords to use for ICT
Read the whole specification for ICT
Maths - past paper unfinished- need to get it marked and finished
Science- did some questions on B3
English- did a timed test on writing an article - need to get it marked by my teacher

That the only thing I could do. I feel that I should focuse on ICT more as this is the only subject which I literally know nothing about. Hopefully, I can learn the whole content by heart by two weeks.:smile:
Original post by sahra30013
Update 24/04/16
I felt that I shouldn't update as I didn't much as I was only focused on ICT for the past few days. Well, back to updating.
Today I did
ICT past paper- A so i guess I'm improving
Revised the whole topic personal digital devices. I found a new way to revise ICT and that's by recording my voice. I'm so happy that I'm actually memorising some the content.
Looked at connectivity and operating online
Learned the keywords to use for ICT
Read the whole specification for ICT
Maths - past paper unfinished- need to get it marked and finished
Science- did some questions on B3
English- did a timed test on writing an article - need to get it marked by my teacher

That the only thing I could do. I feel that I should focuse on ICT more as this is the only subject which I literally know nothing about. Hopefully, I can learn the whole content by heart by two weeks.:smile:

Very well done :biggrin: You've done a lot keep it up :smile:
Thank you! And that's cool - I'm going to make Q Cards on it if that will help you, they should be done tomorrow so feel free to use them through that website I linked :smile:

Aw thank you :biggrin:
Hey ,do any of you guys have study leave because i don't and i'm so annoyed :frown: does this also mean that people who do get study leave can revise more and get better grades?
Very well done :biggrin: You've done a lot keep it up :smile:

Thank you!:smile:
Hey ,do any of you guys have study leave because i don't and i'm so annoyed :frown: does this also mean that people who do get study leave can revise more and get better grades?

Well, I have study leave but not until the 27th May. Don't worry about not having study leave, many people still do better whilst attending school as it makes them more focused. I'm sure you will too!:smile:But I guess it depends on the person. I like to revise at home rather than in school and others prefer attending school and revising there.

I don't know if we do or not :frown: I hope we do
But even if we don't WE CAN STILL DO AMAZING whoop whoop *tries to convince self* :P
Seriously tho, you'll do great either way! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year I got study leave after half term but I had quite a few exams (maybe 6) before then so that was tough. However, you'll find that all you do in class is your own revision which is basically like study leave except the teachers there to answer questions which is something I found really helpful. I don't think people who get study leave necessarily do better - some will just waste it and treat it as a few weeks off school, but I feel that for people who put the work in, it can be useful. I'm doing the new AS exams and because some are linear, some students have one exam so there isn't study leave for me either...Which sucks because I have ten years exams. But I think it is still possible to do well without study leave as long as you manage your time well. :smile:

I have it from the 13th of May - really early :biggrin:
Original post by sahra30013
Well, I have study leave but not until the 27th May. Don't worry about not having study leave, many people still do better whilst attending school as it makes them more focused. I'm sure you will too!:smile:But I guess it depends on the person. I like to revise at home rather than in school and others prefer attending school and revising there.

Lucky :smile: That's true and i prefer staying at home and revising so much easier.

Original post by lilacpotato
I don't know if we do or not :frown: I hope we do
But even if we don't WE CAN STILL DO AMAZING whoop whoop *tries to convince self* :P
Seriously tho, you'll do great either way! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the support and i'm sure we will ! We shall ace our exams :biggrin:

Last year I got study leave after half term but I had quite a few exams (maybe 6) before then so that was tough. However, you'll find that all you do in class is your own revision which is basically like study leave except the teachers there to answer questions which is something I found really helpful. I don't think people who get study leave necessarily do better - some will just waste it and treat it as a few weeks off school, but I feel that for people who put the work in, it can be useful. I'm doing the new AS exams and because some are linear, some students have one exam so there isn't study leave for me either...Which sucks because I have ten years exams. But I think it is still possible to do well without study leave as long as you manage your time well. :smile:

Oh ok :smile: That's true but i just wish i had study leave because i would have worked so hard but then again i would probably procrastinate and get distracted :smile:

Original post by NiamhM1801
I have it from the 13th of May - really early :biggrin:

Lucky :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone got Drama exams ? Mine is tomorrow ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending