The Student Room Group

SI Units equation help!

Hi everyone

I've got a question that I've answered, but I have a feeling my answer is completely wrong. Can anybody help point out where I've gone wrong, if I have?

The Question:
Work out the SI base units of y.

y = ax^2 / b

a = a constant with the units N (Newtons)
b = a constant with the units m (metres)
x = the units s (seconds)

My working out:
base units of N = kg m s^-2

y = (N) x (s^2) / m
y = (kg m s^-2) x (s^2) / m
= (s^-2) x (s^2) = s
= (kg m) / m = kg
= kg + s = kg s

units of y = kg s

Thats what I've got. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Looks right.
Original post by thegallowsgirl

y = (N) x (s^2) / m
y = (kg m s^-2) x (s^2) / m
= (s^-2) x (s^2) = s

Both of the equalities on the last line are incorrect. For the first you've forgotten the kgmm\frac{\mathrm{kgm}}{\mathrm{m}} and for the second you haven't cancelled properly.

= (kg m) / m = kg

I agree with this although I don't know how you got it from the previous line.

= kg + s = kg s
This line doesn't make any sense. How did you get kg = kg + s? You can't add quantities with different dimensions so kg + s doesn't make sense. kg = kgs doesn't make sense either(not mentioning kg + s = kgs for the aforementioned reason). How did you get it?
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't think it made sense either! But it's what I was left with at the end, thats why I thought I was doing something wrong.
I know the kg / m part is right, but I don't know about the (s^-2) x (s^2) - am I doing something wrong there when I get the answer (s) for that? Is there any way you anybody could walk me through it?
Reply 4
I didn't think it made sense either! But it's what I was left with at the end, thats why I thought I was doing something wrong.
I know the kg / m part is right, but I don't know about the (s^-2) x (s^2) - am I doing something wrong there when I get the answer (s) for that? Is there any way you anybody could walk me through it?

s^(-2) x s^2 = no units = 1.
So if I'm doing it correctly, then cancelling that out and doing the rest, the final answer would be something like kg (1), instead of kg s? Or am I getting confused!
Reply 6
So if I'm doing it correctly, then cancelling that out and doing the rest, the final answer would be something like kg (1), instead of kg s? Or am I getting confused!

Yep, kg(1) - otherwise known as just kg.

Quick Reply

Latest