The Student Room Group

Rate my chances of getting into a good uni

Hi guys and girls, I really ****ed up during my GCSEs (1A, 4B 5C 2D ughhh. maths and Eng language at B). This was due to a combination of a lack of effort and no revision.
Following my GCSEs I was upset because I was limited in what I could take, so I had to stoop to taking BTEC business, BTEC law and maths.
I am trying my absolute hardest to achieve good grades in these subjects and it is working, I am predicted a Distinction* at business and law and predicted an A in maths.
I will be doing Further maths AS next year and maybe taking a third year to finish that to A2.
Do I stand a chance to study business management at universities such as Leeds, Lancaster, and Surrey?

Scroll to see replies

If you meet their standard requirements, or appear likely to do so, then you stand a good chance. Your GCSEs will make very little difference to your application as long as you are showing an upwards trajectory. This being said, I would very strongly suggest you email each university you are interested in and explain your situation to see how receptive they would be to an application from you.
Original post by ByronicHero
If you meet their standard requirements, or appear likely to do so, then you stand a good chance. Your GCSEs will make very little difference to your application as long as you are showing an upwards trajectory. This being said, I would very strongly suggest you email each university you are interested in and explain your situation to see how receptive they would be to an application from you.

Thank you, it feels a little early but I will be doing this sometime soon.
Original post by callumhowieson
Thank you, it feels a little early but I will be doing this sometime soon.

Good luck :smile:

For reference, I had far worse GCSEs than you and recieved offers from several Russell Group universities.
I had similar gcses to you of 1 A 9 B's 4C's with an A in maths & B in english language & ive got offers from many RG Unis
Original post by ByronicHero
Good luck :smile:

For reference, I had far worse GCSEs than you and recieved offers from several Russell Group universities.

Nice! May I ask, where did you go to in the end?
Original post by Ayaz789
I had similar gcses to you of 1 A 9 B's 4C's with an A in maths & B in english language & ive got offers from many RG Unis

That is very uplifting, thanks for your contribution. How did you do at A-level?
That is very uplifting, thanks for your contribution. How did you do at A-level?

Well im in A2 rn & decent , you doing A Levels?
Original post by Ayaz789

yeah
Original post by Ayaz789

I mean, I am taking AS soon.
Reply 10
Hi guys and girls, I really ****ed up during my GCSEs (1A, 4B 5C 2D ughhh. maths and Eng language at B). This was due to a combination of a lack of effort and no revision.
Following my GCSEs I was upset because I was limited in what I could take, so I had to stoop to taking BTEC business, BTEC law and maths.
I am trying my absolute hardest to achieve good grades in these subjects and it is working, I am predicted a Distinction* at business and law and predicted an A in maths.
I will be doing Further maths AS next year and maybe taking a third year to finish that to A2.
Do I stand a chance to study business management at universities such as Leeds, Lancaster, and Surrey?

Of course you stand a chance, a very good change, with those unis, if not potentially higher ones

Your grades are good, also there wouldnt be much point taking an extra year out to do further maths unless maybe you wanted to do a joint honours in Management and Maths or a straight Maths degree

I dont know what you meen by "stoop to taking BTECs" the Business BTEC is probably better than the A level in terms of preperation to study Management, i did a full Extended Diploma in Computing when i was at college and im now in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni

You have so many options uni wise, maybe take a look at Durham? They are a really top uni and i know someone who got in with a Business BTEC Extended Diploma (no A levels)
Original post by yt7777
Of course you stand a chance, a very good change, with those unis, if not potentially higher ones

Your grades are good, also there wouldnt be much point taking an extra year out to do further maths unless maybe you wanted to do a joint honours in Management and Maths or a straight Maths degree

I dont know what you meen by "stoop to taking BTECs" the Business BTEC is probably better than the A level in terms of preperation to study Management, i did a full Extended Diploma in Computing when i was at college and im now in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree at a top 20 uni

You have so many options uni wise, maybe take a look at Durham? They are a really top uni and i know someone who got in with a Business BTEC Extended Diploma (no A levels)

I though that it was a requirement to have at least two A-levels in most? If not, that is great news! I had never even considered Durham as I thought it was way out of reach.
Reply 12
Original post by Ayaz789

What A2s are you doing and what degree course are you applying to?
Original post by Rajive
What A2s are you doing and what degree course are you applying to?

I do Maths , further maths & Physics & im studying Maths at Uni
Reply 14
Original post by Ayaz789
I do Maths , further maths & Physics & im studying Maths at Uni

I was considering Further maths at a level but I was just going to get an A at GCSE.
Original post by Rajive
I was considering Further maths at a level but I was just going to get an A at GCSE.

I got an A at Gcse for some reason, mianly because i put no work at alll but i am talented at maths & am predicted an A* at A level maths & an A at Further Maths but its upto you
Reply 16
I though that it was a requirement to have at least two A-levels in most? If not, that is great news! I had never even considered Durham as I thought it was way out of reach.

No of course not! your BTECs are worth 1 A level each, the one I did was worth 3 A levels hence why I didnt, and most other people dont take any alongside it.

Someone last year got into Oxford for Experimental Psychology with a Btec Extended (No A levels) in Health Science

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/21/will-taking-a-btec-help-or-hinder-your-university-application - (read from 3rd para)

Here is a page on the BTEC website talking about someone who got into Durham with the BTEC Business, maybe have a look at the other years and subjects too?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/about-us/qualification-brands/btec/progress-with-btec/national-btec-awards/outstanding-btec-business-and-enterprise-student-of-the-year.html#tab-2013

Also you mentioned Surrey, I know someone in their 2nd year at Surrey who did BTEC Business
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ayaz789

Stop calling those shitty grades.
Original post by Metalfros
Stop calling those shitty grades.

They arent even good :/
My friend got Cs and a few Bs and got offers from good unis doing a good course because her AS grades were awesome

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending