The Student Room Group

How is St Hugh's?

My Oxford college choice is St Hugh's. I didn't really find much about it and how life is there. Can anyone tell me more about it and why it's good/bad choice.
Some thoughts from some St Hugh's students:
http://apply.ousu.org/st-hughs
Reply 2
Original post by lewa9ewa
My Oxford college choice is St Hugh's. I didn't really find much about it and how life is there. Can anyone tell me more about it and why it's good/bad choice.

I'm a first year physicist at St Hugh's so if you have any questions, ask away! Are you an offer holder for 2016 or applying next year?

In general: it's a short walk from the town centre, which means it's in a quieter area (no tourists everywhere etc), and the science area is even closer if you're doing a science subject. It's a pretty big college both in number of undergrads and physical size - the lawns/gardens are very nice, and since there's a lot of people you're very likely to meet a good group of friends in college. Accommodation is a bit varied but on site for the whole of your degree, and there is kitchen access everywhere (which is something few colleges have). The library is very well stocked (plenty of copies of standard textbooks). I rarely go to hall other than brunch, but food is nice in large portions for reasonable price.
Reply 3
Hi, I have still two more years of school left, but I'm just really curious about Oxford because it's my dream uni.
p.s I want to study engineering :smile:
Gets mocked for being so far away. In reality, not far away at all and it gains a lot in terms of spaciousness for being so.
Reply 5
Original post by lewa9ewa
Hi, I have still two more years of school left, but I'm just really curious about Oxford because it's my dream uni.p.s I want to study engineering :smile:
I picked Hugh's and had an interview there and at Lady Margaret Hall. It's got really nice gardens and buildings, especially if you like Victorian architecture, and is one of the bigger colleges in terms of size and student number, although a lot of the students there apparently didn't choose it and were allocated there. The food is nice too, better than LMH at least, although can't comment on prices since we got food for free during interviews. It was raining one of the days I was there, and it was a bit annoying to walk in the rain to the food hall since it's actually relatively far, but I think the food hall I went to was temporary since the actual one was being renovated or something. Floorboards outside my room all the way to the shower in the main building were creaky, if that bothers you. JCR was big, full of sofas and stuff to do (unlike LMH's tiny JCR), however the tv had lines of dead pixels and apparently won't be replaced any time soon, although I suspect another 2-3 years of it will make them change their minds.One thing I noticed is that you can only use the internet if you're 18+ (no idea why but that was the case for my interview, and was what students there said too) so if you're not going to be 18 until a few months into the term then you're going to have to leech off someone else's internet.
Original post by not you
I One thing I noticed is that you can only use the internet if you're 18+ (no idea why but that was the case for my interview, and was what students there said too) so if you're not going to be 18 until a few months into the term then you're going to have to leech off someone else's internet.

Interesting comment. We had a think about this a couple of years ago after our IT office flagged a concern. In the end, we decided that if applicants could use wifi on trains and buses on the way to Oxford and in the cafes in town, restricting access on site was a bit odd. The system is that candiates go to the Porters' Lodge to get an access code and are asked to state they have parental/guardian permission to use the service. Its worked fine ever since.

No wifi = no TSR (how bad is that?!)

Brasenose Admissions
Reply 7
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Interesting comment. We had a think about this a couple of years ago after our IT office flagged a concern. In the end, we decided that if applicants could use wifi on trains and buses on the way to Oxford and in the cafes in town, restricting access on site was a bit odd. The system is that candiates go to the Porters' Lodge to get an access code and are asked to state they have parental/guardian permission to use the service. Its worked fine ever since.

No wifi = no TSR (how bad is that?!)

Brasenose Admissions

So was that just for interviewees or does it apply to all under 18s at Brasenose? Sounds a bit tedious to get your parents to give you permission to use the internet if you're already at university lol
Original post by not you
So was that just for interviewees or does it apply to all under 18s at Brasenose? Sounds a bit tedious to get your parents to give you permission to use the internet if you're already at university lol

Its just for U-18s who come for interview. Hope that clears things up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending