The Student Room Group

Sixth form survival tips?

plz

Scroll to see replies

Dont be a ****, talk to people, try to get along with your teachers for at least the first half term, And be yourself.
If you're starting a new school that is.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
Dont be a ****, talk to people, try to get along with your teachers for at least the first half term, And be yourself.
If you're starting a new school that is.

Yeah I hopefully will be going to a new school but I'll already have friends there, I just hope that I'll be able to manage the workload ngl
Reply 3
Original post by katodizzle
plz

- revise for in-class tests
- fix any errors
- continually make revision notes
- use your holidays
- use your free periods
- finish any class work you didn't get done
- use Sept-March to read into your subjects, mainly for arts subjects
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
- fix any errors
- use your holidays
- use your free periods

Thanks!
Reply 5
Definutly use your free periods (you'll regret it later on if you dont).
If you don't understand something ask asap.
Make sure you are truly content with the subjects that you are taking (trust me taking a subject that you dislike at A-level is tough)
But do have fun and enjoy the 'extra freedom'
Reply 6
Original post by jamestg
- fix any errors
- use your holidays
- use your free periods

IB or A Levels?
Reply 7
IB or A Levels?

Both.

Strongly recommend extra reading. It helps you to consolidate what you know with a bit extra, especially for subjects like History!

Also it's good prep for uni, not only does it get you into good habits but you learn how to choose the right type of book. Sounds silly but you don't want to waste time or/and money getting a book that is of no use.
Reply 8
plz

To get decent grades (in 'proper' subjects) :wink:
You have to:
- have no social life
- play no games
- work in all frees
- work in all lessons
- have a window near where you work so you don't get depressed from vitamin D deficiency. (You will not leave this work station unless at college).
- make teachers tea/coffee if applicable to get them on your good side.
- cheat where you can
- practice the 8 hour sleep malarkey.
- develop non-talking status with family members as they are just distractions.
- purchase note-cards
- find useful websites to aid your life (revision)
but MOST OF ALL: be lucky:smile:

what subjects are you taking?
(edited 7 years ago)
Avoid these questions and other generic ones like these when your walking around and getting to know people. You can probably get away with it in your first two weeks or so but after that you need to start making decent conversations with your new friends. I'm a second year and take the questions as a que to go find myself coffee because it will usually be more interesting the the conversation that follows. It may be a issue personal to me but Id certainly keep track of how much you use these questions.

Q1: What subjects do you do?

Q2: Whats your next lesson?

Q3: What secondary school did you come from?

Hopefully it helps, any further questions let me know :smile:
In all seriousness, watch Ned's declassified school survival over the summer. It's not a bad show :tongue:

Keep on top of homework, studying, learning. Start thinking of things to write on your personal statement if you want to apply to uni - summer schools, NCS, public lectures, work experience, volunteering, it all adds up.
Original post by jamestg
Both.

Strongly recommend extra reading. It helps you to consolidate what you know with a bit extra, especially for subjects like History!

Also it's good prep for uni, not only does it get you into good habits but you learn how to choose the right type of book. Sounds silly but you don't want to waste time or/and money getting a book that is of no use.

Well I won't find out what qualification I'm doing until results day, but for both I've chosen English Lit and History as well as Anthropology (IB) and RS (AL). I'm looking forward to it but I'm starting to think I might crumble under the essays hahaha
Well I won't find out what qualification I'm doing until results day, but for both I've chosen English Lit and History as well as Anthropology (IB) and RS (AL). I'm looking forward to it but I'm starting to think I might crumble under the essays hahaha

You'll do plenty of essays, don't worry about that!

Just get used to doing them timed and doing lots of them consecutively. One of my history papers is three 20 mark essays in a 2hr 15min exam!
plz

1. Don't do it
Original post by cowie
You have to:
- have no social life
- play no games
- work in all frees
- work in all lessons
- have a window near where you work so you don't get depressed from vitamin D deficiency. (You will not leave this work station unless at college).
- make teachers tea/coffee if applicable to get them on your good side.
- cheat where you can
- practice the 8 hour sleep malarkey.
- develop non-talking status with family members as they are just distractions.
- purchase note-cards
- find useful websites to aid your life (revision)
but MOST OF ALL: be lucky:smile:

what subjects are you taking?

I wont find out until August but..
For IB:
Higher level: English Lit, History, Social & Cultural Anthropology
Standard level: Maths studies, Japanese B and Biology
no one survives
Original post by jamestg
You'll do plenty of essays, don't worry about that!

Just get used to doing them timed and doing lots of them consecutively. One of my history papers is three 20 mark essays in a 2hr 15min exam!

Yeah I'm trying that atm for my GCSEs and it seems to be working so I hope I can keep up :smile:
Original post by cowie
You have to:
- play no games

m8 i be getting A*AA in proper subjects and still made it to 10th prestige on bo3
Original post by Zara0526
Definutly use your free periods (you'll regret it later on if you dont).
If you don't understand something ask asap.
Make sure you are truly content with the subjects that you are taking (trust me taking a subject that you dislike at A-level is tough)
But do have fun and enjoy the 'extra freedom'

I'm happy with my choices, but I'm preparing myself for a LOT of essays as they are all essay/reading based subjects. It was hard choosing for me because I'm not great at maths or languages and I'm not amazing at science, only decent at bio.
Original post by vardyparty98
no one survives

yay :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest