The Student Room Group

Tax! HELP!

Hey!
So I've had my part-time job for over a year now and I've been paying tax when I shouldn't be. I don't really know how tax works but my mum said I'm not earning enough to be paying tax so they will have to pay it back at the end of the tax year. I believe the tax year has just finished and I haven't got anything back or heard anything. So just wondering, will I definitely get the money back? Do I have to do anything/speak to anyone or will they just pay me?
Thanks for any help!!
Original post by ClaudiaaaX

When you get your P60 from your employer, which will probably come at the end of this month, ring the tax office and ask them to calculate what you have paid. Chances are they owe you, if you have been paying tax to date. You can phone them without your P60, but they'll just ask you questions and the answers are on the P60.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
When you get your P60 from your employer, which will probably come at the end of this month, ring the tax office and ask them to calculate what you have paid. Chances are they owe you, if you have been paying tax to date. You can phone them without your P60, but they'll just ask you questions and the answers are on the P60.

Fab thank you!
Hi Claudia this is because you havent been given a tax code yet. Tell your employer about this , and that he will need to get you tax code , and ask them if they would refund the different in your next pay . If not then dont panic, call HMRC with your tax code and HMRC will give you the money back i had the same situation.
Original post by ClaudiaaaX
Hey!
So I've had my part-time job for over a year now and I've been paying tax when I shouldn't be. I don't really know how tax works but my mum said I'm not earning enough to be paying tax so they will have to pay it back at the end of the tax year. I believe the tax year has just finished and I haven't got anything back or heard anything. So just wondering, will I definitely get the money back? Do I have to do anything/speak to anyone or will they just pay me?
Thanks for any help!!

If you phone the tax office they can sort it for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending