The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There is no excitement quite like that of picking up your new bike :biggrin: :u: :gah: It is now safely tucked up under a blanket in the garage :teehee:

Anyone used helicopter tape on their bike? Thinking chain stays, fork legs and down tube right now, maybe top tube too.

Unsure how to insure it either, mainly against theft, need to see what it will cost on contents insurance, guessing that is the best option unless anyone else goes elsewhere for it?
Original post by dhr90
There is no excitement quite like that of picking up your new bike :biggrin: :u: :gah: It is now safely tucked up under a blanket in the garage :teehee:

Anyone used helicopter tape on their bike? Thinking chain stays, fork legs and down tube right now, maybe top tube too.

Unsure how to insure it either, mainly against theft, need to see what it will cost on contents insurance, guessing that is the best option unless anyone else goes elsewhere for it?

Haven't [used helicopter tape] but thinking of some. I need some on my seat stays. The paint jobs' taken a walloping from where I lock my bike up. I think my bike came with some on the chain stays and I could probably do with replacing those but beyond that I'm not sure I have much use for it but maybe it'd be different for you. Wherever you usually lock your bike is a good idea.
Reply 22
Original post by alexs2602
Haven't [used helicopter tape] but thinking of some. I need some on my seat stays. The paint jobs' taken a walloping from where I lock my bike up. I think my bike came with some on the chain stays and I could probably do with replacing those but beyond that I'm not sure I have much use for it but maybe it'd be different for you. Wherever you usually lock your bike is a good idea.

For me its less about the locking the bike up and more stone chips and the chain slapping the chainstay. But want to stop anything where you may get mud rubbing the frame where tyres pass the frame too.

Took so much stick for not riding the bike home from my colleagues :lol:
Reply 23
Original post by dhr90
For me its less about the locking the bike up and more stone chips and the chain slapping the chainstay. But want to stop anything where you may get mud rubbing the frame where tyres pass the frame too.

What bike did you get?
Reply 24
Original post by Roobsa
What bike did you get?

Boardman mtb fs pro 650b. ex display 2014 bike. Has had the rear brake upgraded to a SRAM Guide R due to a leak. Bike shops may not pay much to work there, but the discounts go some way to make up for that :biggrin:

Been wanting to put red grip clamps, seat clamp and pedals on it, but I just don't think it would work with the silver, green, black and white on the bike. Now thinking just the red grip clamps just to make it a little bit different and my own.

Stuck whether to transfer my Gusset Inca pedals (have nothing against them) or buy something new to replace the woeful Wellgo rubbish it was specced with. Would like new pedals on a new bike tbh, but it is extra money for little/no gain other than something beautifully designed...

Reply 25
Original post by dhr90

Usually first place to put it is on spots liable for cable rub, so headset and seatstays on yours. A chainstay protector will do a better job for chain slap. I've done the top tube on mine too to stop knee pad/shorts scratches. Nice bike thought!
Reply 26
Original post by pjm600
Usually first place to put it is on spots liable for cable rub, so headset and seatstays on yours. A chainstay protector will do a better job for chain slap. I've done the top tube on mine too to stop knee pad/shorts scratches. Nice bike thought!

Pretty much same places as mine. Was going to do top tube for the same reason. Need to do the forks for cable rub too. Found an old chainstay protector in my toolbox, too small though :frown:

Seems the rebound on my forks is stuck fast too, can only go one click in either direction, concerned it may be damaged as some cretin has clearly dragged the forks across the ground in the past. Looks like they could have burst through the bottom of a box and then been dragged around a bit on an abrasive floor. Really hope it hasn't damaged the internals, but it sounds like stuck knobs aren't too uncommon from a quick google, you just need a bit of assistance to release the pressure :rofl: Just don't want to try and force it and then break something myself.

Which tape have you used? Did you get it from ebay?
Reply 27
Original post by dhr90
Boardman mtb fs pro 650b.

Decent bike - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODUWfxCX0b4
Original post by dhr90

I pay about £8 a month for my bike insurance (£1000 bike), insured it separately so it was covered outside the house as well as I think on my contents the bike was only insured while in the house, that is protect your bubble... haven't had any issues but haven't claimed either
Reply 29

What a shameless plug
Reply 30
Original post by dhr90
Pretty much same places as mine. Was going to do top tube for the same reason. Need to do the forks for cable rub too. Found an old chainstay protector in my toolbox, too small though :frown:

Seems the rebound on my forks is stuck fast too, can only go one click in either direction, concerned it may be damaged as some cretin has clearly dragged the forks across the ground in the past. Looks like they could have burst through the bottom of a box and then been dragged around a bit on an abrasive floor. Really hope it hasn't damaged the internals, but it sounds like stuck knobs aren't too uncommon from a quick google, you just need a bit of assistance to release the pressure :rofl: Just don't want to try and force it and then break something myself.

Which tape have you used? Did you get it from ebay?

Can't say I'm afraid, the guy I bought the bike from was kind enough to include a roll. I think most of the stuff on ebay will be the same, that's where I'd go it I needed it.
Original post by doodle_333
I pay about £8 a month for my bike insurance (£1000 bike), insured it separately so it was covered outside the house as well as I think on my contents the bike was only insured while in the house, that is protect your bubble... haven't had any issues but haven't claimed either

I'm with protect your bubble too although mines slightly more (one 2.5k bike, one 1k bike - my contents policy refused to cover them :frown:). I've never had to claim either, but one of my cycling friends has and it was reasonably smooth.
Reply 32

One of your videos?

Original post by doodle_333

Thanks. Hoping for a bit less for myself then. Nice and affordable though given its more valuable than my car!

Original post by Serentonin
I'm with protect your bubble too although mines slightly more (one 2.5k bike, one 1k bike - my contents policy refused to cover them :frown:). I've never had to claim either, but one of my cycling friends has and it was reasonably smooth.

Good to know its a smooth process if ever needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90

Thanks. Hoping for a bit less for myself then. Nice and affordable though given its more valuable than my car!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice to know I'm not the only one driving a car that's much cheaper than my bike :yy:
Original post by Serentonin

very jealous of you! good to know that it was easy to claim... only had one accident and was knocked off so the driver paid for it and I didn't claim

Original post by dhr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, pretty sure mine covers travel in Europe as well... I was a bit optimistic when I took it out!
Reply 35
Original post by BaronK
What a shameless plug

Plugging a video from 2 years ago for those extra 3 views it might get by linking it here! Shameless!

Original post by dhr90
One of your videos?

Yeah. Man, it's a bit of a trip watching it though. TBOTY 2014 was one of the first big things I did at BR. Quite a few bad edit choices watching it back!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Roobsa
Plugging a video from 2 years ago for those extra 3 views it might get by linking it here! Shameless!

Yeah. Man, it's a bit of a trip watching it though. TBOTY 2014 was one of the first big things I did at BR. Quite a few bad edit choices watching it back!

Wow, so you still have the humour of a plank.
Reply 37
Who are you?
I've never heard of you, the whole of Europe's never heard of you.
EveningRide.png

My new ride home :smile:

I plan to do this twice a week, the rest the short way, however, not when it's raining and damn its been raining and supposed to continue for another two weeks :/

ps not that I am paranoid but I don't think it's important to see where exactly I live and work :P
Weather's looking good next week. Hitting the mid teens and it looks like that will persist so finally hitting summer weather it looks like. Gonna make sure my bikes in tip top condition. There's this rattling sound I can't quite get to the bottom of. Not that I've really tried yet. I'll make sure my chain rings are on firmly first and then I'll look at my pedals and bb. They may need regreasing. Shouldn't do but I'm not too sure what else it would be.

Quick Reply

Latest