The Student Room Group

STOP blaming immigrants for your failings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TSRFT8
Take a deep breath, have a glass of water and just re-read what you have wrote.

The migrants are by your own graph making a better contribution than the natives, HOW can they be the ones aggravating the deficit when you admit the natives cost more.

This is what education is like for Donald Trump supporters.

They are aggravating the deficit because they still pay less tax than what they receive in public spending.
It's very strange that you cannot understand that.

Original post by TSRFT8
EDIT: You also failed to reply to what i previously said to you, so im assuming i was right.

I took the time to answer.
Original post by Josb
I have two master's degrees with distinction and I hold an offer for a PhD at Oxford. I don't need you to pity my education and upbringing.

I am also an immigrant on a high-paid job in the UK. I have paid about £500 of taxes and NI every month and never claimed a single penny of benefit.

You do realise a masters does not define your intelligence..

It cant really be "highpaying" if you only pay £6000 in tax lol sorry to burst your bubble but since you were degrading other peoples jobs.
Reply 82
Original post by Maker
You are reading things a bit narrowly. Someone who pays less in taxes than benefits doesn't mean they are a liability. The reason is they still earn money that is spent in the economy. For example, if they earn £15,000 pa and pay £5000 tax and get £6000 in benefits, they have £16,000 to spend in the economy. The money spent pays indirect taxes such as VAT and duty such as on tobacco and alcohol. The money spent also employs people, pays for the NHS and other public services and keeps companies in business.

If they were not in the UK, the UK economy would loss £9,000 a year.

The graph mentions "government expenditure", not benefits. It means that they have calculated the cost of all public services and benefits versus all the taxes, direct and indirect, paid by natives and immigrants.
Original post by Josb
They are aggravating the deficit because they still pay less tax than what they receive in public spending.

So do you. So shut up now.
Reply 84
Original post by Josb

I took the time to answer.

I normally abhor ad hominems but you clearly have trouble understanding numbers and economics.
Reply 85
Original post by TSRFT8
You do realise a masters does not define your intelligence..

You didn't mention intelligence, but "education and upbringing".

Original post by TSRFT8
It cant really be "highpaying" if you only pay £6000 in tax lol sorry to burst your bubble but since you were degrading other peoples jobs.

I'm above the median salary. How much do you make?
Reply 86
Original post by Maker
I normally abhor ad hominems but you clearly have trouble understanding numbers and economics.

Likewise.
Reply 87
Original post by Josb
The graph mentions "government expenditure", not benefits. It means that they have calculated the cost of all public services and benefits versus all the taxes, direct and indirect, paid by natives and immigrants.

So immigrants are keeping the deficient from being as bad as it could be without them. Following it to its logical conclusion, we should get rid of the natives since they are a bigger liability than the immigrants.

Anyway, the graph only shows average figures, a millionaire obviously pays more tax than what the govt spends on them. A well paid immigrant professional does the same.

I think I have just refuted your point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I'm above the median salary. How much do you make?

Just about. Not the point you said the Non EU immigrants were using more than they were paying in taxes and here we are with you doing the same.

I am 18 in my last year of sixth form.
Reply 89
Original post by Josb
Likewise.

I got one MSc and no PhD, I was under the impression Oxford offers DPhil rather than PhD.
Reply 90
Original post by sfaraj
fam my family were immigrants, me and my sister go to local schools with no admission problems, we are born british, my family got a house easily, ive been to A&E countless times

I wonder if the situation would be the same now had your family migrated a decade or 2 later.

Original post by sfaraj
now A&E is not a problem caused by immigrants

It's a problem compounded by mass uncontrolled immigration

Original post by sfaraj
75% of my school come from immigrated family

So you've seen the problem first hand...
Reply 91
Original post by Reue
I wonder if the situation would be the same now had your family migrated a decade or 2 later.

There were lots of immigrants in my school as well.
Reply 92
Original post by Maker
So immigrants are keeping the deficient from being as bad as it could be without them. Following it to its logical conclusion, we should get rid of the natives since they are a bigger liability than the immigrants.

I think I have just refuted your point.

I have already acknowledged that natives cost more, otherwise there wouldn't be such a large deficit. What I have said since the beginning is only worthy immigrants should be accepted, whilst OP seems to think that an immigrant is automatically good.
The fact that the UK is having a large problem of overspending is not a reason for accepting people who will be a drain on the public finances. Currently, the count is not right for non-EEA migrants.
Original post by Maker
I got one MSc and no PhD, I was under the impression Oxford offers DPhil rather than PhD.
Yes, but it's the same thing as a PhD.
Reply 93
Original post by Maker

Congratulations
Original post by Maker

my condolences
Original post by Reue

cute :smile: my family migrated over a decade ago so you know nothing aha

no its not, people should not be left to bloody die in their own homes, migrants aren't aliens or animals, they are human who respire the same way you do, their body works the same way as yours...

and its not a problem, actually the fact my school is an exam entrance all girls grammar school shows a lot of immigrants are really smart and my school is known for all its students getting into russel unis so tbh its not a problem

you know if you hate migrants so much, move to america you and trump will get on just fine
One in relation to the health service:
People from foreign countries are offered high wages to come work here. Note, I said foreign. This is because the amount of students becoming doctors are not enough to meet the supply and demand of the NHS, it's simply not enough. This is why they ask other, already qualified doctors to come and work here, with higher wages. It's a much quicker process than waiting for a flood of med. students in 'the predicted years'. What you have to keep in mind is that it is already hard to get into this country without a liable cause.
If you are asking for a quicker, more efficient health service, you yourself should get at least 10,000 qualified doctors along with you to accommodate this. The NHS area is already struggling, with not enough people, and if that means bringing in a few foreigners to help YOU, so be it, they are DOCTORS.
The same is going for Australia, who are offering qualified teachers a high wage to come work there, because there population is going into other areas of work, and education is base need so they have to look worldwide.
Reply 97
Original post by sfaraj
cute :smile: my family migrated over a decade ago so you know nothing aha

I think you've mis-read what I said.. Them migrating later would mean it was a more recent occurrence.

Original post by sfaraj
no its not, people should not be left to bloody die in their own homes, migrants aren't aliens or animals, they are human who respire the same way you do, their body works the same way as yours...

Exactly, which is why migration should be limited as they add extra strain to the public resources.

Original post by sfaraj
and its not a problem, actually the fact my school is an exam entrance all girls grammar school shows a lot of immigrants are really smart and my school is known for all its students getting into russel unis so tbh its not a problem

Ah, that explains why you are unable to see the blazing obvious then given you are somewhat isolated from the situation 'out on the streets'.

Original post by sfaraj
you know if you hate migrants so much, move to america you and trump will get on just fine

Pathetic.
Reply 98
Original post by sfaraj

That doesn't give them the right to live wherever they want.
Reply 99
Original post by Josb
I have already acknowledged that natives cost more, otherwise there wouldn't be such a large deficit. What I have said since the beginning is only worthy immigrants should be accepted, whilst OP seems to think that an immigrant is automatically good.
The fact that the UK is having a large problem of overspending is not a reason for accepting people who will be a drain on the public finances. Currently, the count is not right for non-EEA migrants.
Yes, but it's the same thing as a PhD.

Anyway, the immigrants are showing an upward trend so the country has to rely on immigrants to get it out of the deficit. If the UK had more immigrants, it would get out of the deficit quicker so we should be encouraging immigrants particularly from the EEA since they earn more.

A DPhil is not the same as PhD, is equivalent but not the same. I am surprised you did not know the difference.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending