The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Alexander Court?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Stirling next autumn and was wondering if anyone who has previously lived in Alexander Court could share their experiences on how it was?

It seems alright, but I would like some first hand experiences if possible!
Reply 1
Hey there!
I'm nor in Ally Court, but from what I've heard it's half decent in general. There are some rooms which can be a little dodgy (bit of mould) but not the worst accommodation on campus.
Main downside to Ally is that it's a good twenty minute walk across campus to get to the bus/classes which everyone whines about, especially in the rain! The bus does go up there after 6pm though, and it has it's own laundry area so you don't have to walk over to do your laundry.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by ImNewHere1280
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Stirling next autumn and was wondering if anyone who has previously lived in Alexander Court could share their experiences on how it was?

It seems alright, but I would like some first hand experiences if possible!

Hi

I currently live in Ally Court. To be honest I wouldn't want to do it again. That's mainly because it's really at the end of the campus, a bit away from the uni and sports facilities. Maybe my biggest struggle is that the walls are paper thin. You hear everything, it's like you're in the same room with them. I'm happy I live on the highest floor because apparently if you live on a lower level, you can hear people walk in the flat above you etc.

There are some plus sides to ally court too: larger rooms, sometimes it's actually nice to have a flat that's not in the centre of campus, there's a bus going up to Ally Court at night and the laundry facilities are very close by.

All in all: it has potential haha, but I wouldn't want to stay here again. Also, if you're a first year I think it would be nicer to stay a bit more in the centre of campus where most first years will be. Hope this helped :smile:

Suzanne
Original post by Suzanne93
Hi

I currently live in Ally Court. To be honest I wouldn't want to do it again. That's mainly because it's really at the end of the campus, a bit away from the uni and sports facilities. Maybe my biggest struggle is that the walls are paper thin. You hear everything, it's like you're in the same room with them. I'm happy I live on the highest floor because apparently if you live on a lower level, you can hear people walk in the flat above you etc.

There are some plus sides to ally court too: larger rooms, sometimes it's actually nice to have a flat that's not in the centre of campus, there's a bus going up to Ally Court at night and the laundry facilities are very close by.

All in all: it has potential haha, but I wouldn't want to stay here again. Also, if you're a first year I think it would be nicer to stay a bit more in the centre of campus where most first years will be. Hope this helped :smile:

Suzanne

Hi there, I'm studying abroad for one semester and have little choice unfortunately!

My other option is Union Street Development, which I think is also fairly far from the center of uni. Do you have any experience with Union Street Development accommodation?
Hi

Suzanne

Could I also ask you for a photo of your room? The stirling website photos are fairly bad, was hoping to see what an average room looks like
Hi there, I'm studying abroad for one semester and have little choice unfortunately!

My other option is Union Street Development, which I think is also fairly far from the center of uni. Do you have any experience with Union Street Development accommodation?

Hi,

Yeah then you indeed have very few options. Most exchange students stay in Ally Court, all in the same building so i guess at least there's a very nice atmosphere!!

About union street: i've never been there but apparently it's okay as well. It's very close to a bus stop to uni and also close to the stirling city centre. A bus card for one month costs just £27 with your student card.
So it's really up to you what you'd like :smile: But I'm sure that as long as you have nice flatmates you'll be absolutely fine! I'll send you a picture sometime next week. I'm currently studying for my exams so my room is in quite a state hahahaha!

Suzanne
Hi,

Yeah then you indeed have very few options. Most exchange students stay in Ally Court, all in the same building so i guess at least there's a very nice atmosphere!!

About union street: i've never been there but apparently it's okay as well. It's very close to a bus stop to uni and also close to the stirling city centre. A bus card for one month costs just £27 with your student card.
So it's really up to you what you'd like :smile: But I'm sure that as long as you have nice flatmates you'll be absolutely fine! I'll send you a picture sometime next week. I'm currently studying for my exams so my room is in quite a state hahahaha!

Suzanne

Thanks for all your help!

Quick question, how easy is it to meet and befriend other flats? Are there a few flats in a common area in each building?

Any communal events for Ally court?
Thanks for all your help!

Quick question, how easy is it to meet and befriend other flats? Are there a few flats in a common area in each building?

Any communal events for Ally court?

Hi,

No problem, happy to help you out!

It never really is a struggle in my opinion. I think for you it should even be a little easier. They tend to put all exchange students together in a building as I said, and I really think that'll help you to become friends easily since you're all in the same boat. There's not really any communal events with all ally court buildings. However, when you know people in a different flat you'll obviously start hanging out with them and go out etc. I think every building has 12 flats, and then there are 4 buildings, so loads of people to befriend haha :wink: But honestly, don't worry about befriending people, you'll be more than fine! The campus is great and there are loads of ways to get involved apart from making friends with your neighbours! We have about 70 clubs/societies and 50 sports clubs and you'll meet people on your modules as well. I'm sure you'll have a great time here, regardless of where you live!

Any more questions let me know here or just sent me a private message. Happy to help!! :smile:

Suzanne
Hi,

No problem, happy to help you out!

It never really is a struggle in my opinion. I think for you it should even be a little easier. They tend to put all exchange students together in a building as I said, and I really think that'll help you to become friends easily since you're all in the same boat. There's not really any communal events with all ally court buildings. However, when you know people in a different flat you'll obviously start hanging out with them and go out etc. I think every building has 12 flats, and then there are 4 buildings, so loads of people to befriend haha :wink: But honestly, don't worry about befriending people, you'll be more than fine! The campus is great and there are loads of ways to get involved apart from making friends with your neighbours! We have about 70 clubs/societies and 50 sports clubs and you'll meet people on your modules as well. I'm sure you'll have a great time here, regardless of where you live!

Any more questions let me know here or just sent me a private message. Happy to help!! :smile:

Suzanne

One last question! Where do you go to do your shopping? Take a bus down to Tesco in the city centre?

Any other Ally Court tips or Stirling things I should know about in general?

Thanks for your help! Good luck with your exams!
One last question! Where do you go to do your shopping? Take a bus down to Tesco in the city centre?

Any other Ally Court tips or Stirling things I should know about in general?

Thanks for your help! Good luck with your exams!

Hi!

Most students order their grocery shopping online at Tesco or ASDA for example and let it be delivered. However, because a bus is going up to ally court you could also decide to go into Stirling to Tesco, and then take the bus back up.

Not really tbh haha, Ally Court is a nice place but I just wouldn't want to stay there again for the reasons I told you earlier. But it's definitely not a bad place to stay, just okay! For one semester you can definitely manage haha :wink:
And about Stirling.. well, it's a very nice place. Some people find it small but they tend to come from big cities. I really like the place. It's also very central if you want to go on trips to Glasgow, Edinburgh or the highlands for example! There are loads of restaurants and two nightclubs. But I really enjoy living here!

Any more questions let me know :smile: And thanks :smile:

Suzanne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending