The Student Room Group

EU Student maintenance loan

Hi, I am an EU national, but I have lived in the UK since August 2011. I am aware that since the 24th of march, the minimum time lived in the UK to be able to qualify for the Maintenance Loan is 5 years (changed from 3 years). I haven't done my student finance application yet, because I wasn't aware of the change.

In August this year I will have lived in the UK for 5 years, however I did not get a job until October and I live with my parents (in the UK) so how can I proof that I have lived in the UK for 5 years at the start of the course? What proof should I provide?
Reply 1
Original post by motassks
Hi, I am an EU national, but I have lived in the UK since August 2011. I am aware that since the 24th of march, the minimum time lived in the UK to be able to qualify for the Maintenance Loan is 5 years (changed from 3 years). I haven't done my student finance application yet, because I wasn't aware of the change.

In August this year I will have lived in the UK for 5 years, however I did not get a job until October and I live with my parents (in the UK) so how can I proof that I have lived in the UK for 5 years at the start of the course? What proof should I provide?

School records? A letter from the GP or dentist that you've been registered with? Bank statements showing your name & address?
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
School records? A letter from the GP or dentist that you've been registered with? Bank statements showing your name & address?

I'm 24, and I don't think I kept any letters from my GP before september, if I ever had any.I didn't make a Bank accouny straight away, because im close with my parents, and the money I had was still in my home country before September/OctoberWe're only talking about the first 2-3 weeks, because after that, it wouldn't be 5 years to the start of the course.
Tenancy agreement? Utility bills?
Reply 4
I live with my parents....
Would it be enough to show them my parents bills and make it clear that I have been living with them??
Reply 5
Would it be enough to show them my parents bills and make it clear that I have been living with them??

Doubtful. You need to show evidence that you have lived in the UK for 5 years. There should be a trace of you somewhere.. You can request records from your GP. Contact student finance and ask them what they require.

If you have a job and going to work throughout your studies you will be eligible for the maintenance loan anyway because you can be classed as a migrant worker

But theres no way theres no trace of you anyway, didnt you go to school in those five years or something?

BTW im sure your parnets utility bills etc will suffice, obviously if youve been living with them they wont ask you for your own utility bills and stuff like that
I'm 24, and I don't think I kept any letters from my GP before september, if I ever had any.I didn't make a Bank accouny straight away, because im close with my parents, and the money I had was still in my home country before September/OctoberWe're only talking about the first 2-3 weeks, because after that, it wouldn't be 5 years to the start of the course.

well then go in and ask your GP to write you a letter conforming when you registered and print out some stuff for you.
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure I wasn't registered with a GP immediately after I moved here, because we moved shortly after I came, which we knew. (My mom has been living here for longer, so it was clear we were moving again very shortly)
Reply 9
I'm pretty sure I wasn't registered with a GP immediately after I moved here, because we moved shortly after I came, which we knew. (My mom has been living here for longer, so it was clear we were moving again very shortly)

So your Mum supported you financially from August 2011 (when you were 19) to August 2015. You've not had your own earnings or bank account before August 2015 and you haven't paid tax before August 2015. You haven't claimed benefits. You ought to have been on your Mum's Council Tax bill since you first arrived in the UK, but for some reason this hasn't happened.

At the moment, it sounds like you're not going to get full SF before August 2020.

Yes, but that may not be enough. That may just prove your parents have lived here for five years. The best thing to find would be the piece of paper proving your family brought the house (5 years ago) and the oldest letter/postage addressed to you at your current address that you can find, as well as the most recent one. Once you've got these, email student finance (with attached photocopies of these, showing the address and date of letter), explain your situation and see what they say
Reply 11
Original post by Runescapian
Yes, but that may not be enough. That may just prove your parents have lived here for five years. The best thing to find would be the piece of paper proving your family brought the house (5 years ago) and the oldest letter/postage addressed to you at your current address that you can find, as well as the most recent one. Once you've got these, email student finance (with attached photocopies of these, showing the address and date of letter), explain your situation and see what they say

Any documentary proof needs to include the OP's name. Unfortunately, proof of purchase for their parents' house won't do that. SF will absolutely not just accept the OP's word that they have been living at that address - they will want proof from an independent third party. The obvious answer would have been the Council Tax bill(s) for that property, which will list the names of all occupants. But it appears that the OP has been missed from that somehow.
Do you have anything whatsoever that'd show when you moved here? Perhaps even an online receipt for a plane ticket in your name when you came over would be better than nothing. But if you have no proof at all and didn't register anything with anyone, what do you expect SFE to be able to do?
Do you have any proof that you were registered on the electoral roll when you moved here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending