The Student Room Group

Thoughts on veganism/vegetarians etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katodizzle
Hi! So how long have you been vegan for?

Well i'm the only one in my family, so only about a year, but i have been vegetarian around 3, i would have been longer but my parents like eating meat so it was quite difficult.... are you?
Original post by Joel 96
You forgot about the demographic who don't eat meat simply because they were once animals.

Wut? We're all animals.
Original post by Anonymous
Posting anonymously so I don't get slated for my opinions :argh:

If you have to be vegetarian/vegan for a real dietary purpose then that's absolutely fine, that's what's best for your body. And religious reasons for meat etc, that's also fine.
BUT,
if you're one of those people who becomes veggie/vegan because you want to be different/think it's cool then that's just daft. We designed to eat meat and animal produce and we get loads and loads of nutrients from it. Sure, there are lots of other alternatives that vegans eat but you're paying more in general and what's the point? I know a couple of vegans and they have to take supplements because they're lacking important vitamins. Do what's best for your body and eat a proper, balanced diet in combination with regular exercise and you'll be nice and healthy. :smile:

This whole post just reveals the ignorance of (some) non-vegans.

Firstly, a lot of people are vegan for ETHICAL reasons, they disagree with the treatment of animals, the fact that they are treated as produce and not actual beings with feelings/the ability to feel pain.

Secondly, the fact that you obviously don't care because "you're paying more" is what's wrong with the world, like, it's OK for animals to suffer just so you can save a bit of extra money? Such a poor excuse. I'm not sure if it's ignorance or just you not caring at all.

Do what's best for you body? Vegan IS best for your body, sooo many studies have shown vegans have longer life expectancy, in general less heart disease, cancers etc.

Also on the nutrients front, yes there are some vitamins that vegans are going to lack naturally (B12 etc) but a lot of meat eaters are ALSO deficient in this anyway so your argument is just crude and invalid.

/rant
Original post by Jonsmith98
I'm totally accepting of people being vegan and vegetarian but its not a choice I would personally make in the near future and this is why:

I'm underweight and my diet is heavily meat and animal product heavy, I have never been a fan of fruit and vegetables. This makes me worry about the impact a dramatic change to my diet would cause. I fear that becoming vegan or vegetarian would impact negatively on my health and well being. While I fully support the ideas and reasoning behind being vegan or vegetarian It's not something I am really able to do without consulting my doctor. Plus its exam time and pork pies are getting me though life right now :smile:

Your diet is meat (red meats linked to bowel cancer etc.) and animal product heavy, lacking in fruit and veg (full of vitamins and fibre) and yet you worry changing your current lifestyle might be unhealthy?? Are you serious?
Original post by harrietbh12
It's really nice to see you accepting and embracing it, normally meat eaters get really offended if we suggest one little thing! Hahaa good luck with your journey

Well those people are have closed minds and probably don't care that much and just brush it off. I mean, I like the taste of meat so when I have it, I do enjoy it ngl. But I am becoming more aware of the cruelty animals are facing, especially in battery farms.
Original post by niv1234
My parents are both vegetarian for religious reasons so we don't eat meat or eggs at home but my parents are ok with me and my brother eating meat just not in our home so my brother eats meat except for beef and I choose to be vegetarian because I like animals too much, but I have eaten meat before. I think everyone should just be allowed to do and eat what they want to and I don't understand what you meant by vegetarians/vegans getting hate as many people I know are vegetarian/vegan.

Ah well religious reasons are justifiable and good, and I respect that. I don't think vegans/vegetarians get much hate, but I may be wrong because I just haven't heard much hate being thrown their way. Some of my closest friends are vegetarians which is absolutely fine. I agree with you completely on how everyone should just be allowed to eat what they want without fear of being judged.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Wut? We're all animals.

Yes.
Yes, we are... Um... Yes.
Original post by ProbablyJade
Well i'm the only one in my family, so only about a year, but i have been vegetarian around 3, i would have been longer but my parents like eating meat so it was quite difficult.... are you?

No I'm not, I'm just curious about it because I am a meat eater myself but I eat as little meat as possible to do my bit, even if it is a little.
I am happy for people to make these dietary choices if they like, and understand the various reasons that people do. While I sympathise with many of these reasons, I am not, however, happy for these people to denigrate others for their choices. I also tend to find those that proselytize are often more than happy to use their forced-labour smart phones and wear their sweat-shop tops while attempting to arrogate the moral high ground on the basis that eating meat is morally egregious.

Live and let live!
I'm vegetarian and recently cut out dairy and eggs and really wasn't as hard as I thought. If you want to go vegan go for it maybe just for a week it also gets you more creative with cooking and get you to try loads of new stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Serpentine111
Your diet is meat (red meats linked to bowel cancer etc.) and animal product heavy, lacking in fruit and veg (full of vitamins and fibre) and yet you worry changing your current lifestyle might be unhealthy?? Are you serious?

Sorry you may have misunderstood what i am trying to say, I'm defiantly not saying that changing my current eating habits to vegetarian/vegan would be "unhealthy", i am certain that it would carry health benefits. My personal issue is that I am underweight to a point that losing weight is dangerous. I feel that if i remove a large portion of my existing diet I would have issues with finding food to replace what i would normally eat, due to the fact that I dislike a lot of different types of fruit and veg. Therefore I came to the conclusion that personally changing to being vegan poses risks to my health.

I am sure that there are almost certainly ways to work around this problem, however during the run up to exams I feel it is in my best interests to avoid anything that could potentially cause complications. Im not sure if this has made my position clear, and am willing to answer any further questions you may have?
Whilst I respect those who choose to become vegetarian or vegan, I could never actively choose to restrict my diet like that. I love the taste of meat and fish far more than I love the taste of most fruit and vegetables (although I eat them reluctantly) and I suspect I'd get pretty bored of quorn, lentils and beans after a while, I find the latter two a bit dull. Then as far as milk goes, well I'm a bit of a milk chocoholic and I love tea, I once put soya milk in by accident and it was vile.
The only thing that bugs me is when people who eat fish claim to be vegetarians. My friend says she is vegetarian but will eat LIVE octopus...
Original post by Jonsmith98
Sorry you may have misunderstood what i am trying to say, I'm defiantly not saying that changing my current eating habits to vegetarian/vegan would be "unhealthy", i am certain that it would carry health benefits. My personal issue is that I am underweight to a point that losing weight is dangerous. I feel that if i remove a large portion of my existing diet I would have issues with finding food to replace what i would normally eat, due to the fact that I dislike a lot of different types of fruit and veg. Therefore I came to the conclusion that personally changing to being vegan poses risks to my health.

I am sure that there are almost certainly ways to work around this problem, however during the run up to exams I feel it is in my best interests to avoid anything that could potentially cause complications. Im not sure if this has made my position clear, and am willing to answer any further questions you may have?

I was just a bit concerned with what you said, that's all. You don't really have to find replacements, veganism opens up a door to foods that you wouldn't normally eat (in a good way).

Of course, do whatever you think is best for your body, but coming from a very similar position to you (I used to very thin and I would probably eat single portion of fruit and veg every week or so at most when forced) I can say that, in my honest opinion, veganism is definitely the best choice anyone can make diet-wise and weight loss is a nonissue because there are a lot of healthy, calorific vegan foods.
Original post by ByronicHero
I am happy for people to make these dietary choices if they like, and understand the various reasons that people do. While I sympathise with many of these reasons, I am not, however, happy for these people to denigrate others for their choices. I also tend to find those that proselytize are often more than happy to use their forced-labour smart phones and wear their sweat-shop tops while attempting to arrogate the moral high ground on the basis that eating meat is morally egregious.

Live and let live!

Eating meat is morally egregious. If only perfect people were allowed to judge others, nobody would be able to judge another person on the basis of any of their actions, ever. In any case, I don't even judge meat-eaters, really, unless they try and argue their position dishonestly. I never tell them that they are bad people, because that's not constructive and also untrue. I merely state facts about the practices of the meat industry and its impact on the world, and if that makes meat-eaters uncomfortable, I consider that to have a lot more to do with their attitude than mine.

All in all, I've never sought to arrogate the moral high ground. Not eating meat is a better practice than eating meat, but that doesn't make me a better person than any given carnivore. I talk about why meat-eating is unethical in an attempt to get more people to stop, not to make myself high-and-mighty.

I'd also like to point out that I haven't bought or received a new article of clothing or electronic device since Christmas. I'm well aware that modern consumerist culture is riddled with products that have unethical backgrounds, making them extremely difficult to avoid, but I'm trying my hardest, dammit, so speak for yourself!
I'm a non-vegetarian and a big meat eater.

Vegetarianism doesn't bother me, and I suppose it's laudable, but it does sometimes make me sigh inwardly.

Veganism would tend to cause me to suspect that the person in question might be uptight and annoying. I also think it's basically irrational. I entirely don't understand the objection to eating eggs, for instance, if they've been sourced from chickens which are being treated properly. The chickens don't care what you're doing with their eggs.
Original post by Anonymous
Posting anonymously so I don't get slated for my opinions :argh:

If you have to be vegetarian/vegan for a real dietary purpose then that's absolutely fine, that's what's best for your body. And religious reasons for meat etc, that's also fine.
BUT,
if you're one of those people who becomes veggie/vegan because you want to be different/think it's cool then that's just daft. We designed to eat meat and animal produce and we get loads and loads of nutrients from it. Sure, there are lots of other alternatives that vegans eat but you're paying more in general and what's the point? I know a couple of vegans and they have to take supplements because they're lacking important vitamins. Do what's best for your body and eat a proper, balanced diet in combination with regular exercise and you'll be nice and healthy. :smile:

Don't agree with everything said, but I like the implications about your character, so have a rep.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Vegetarianism doesn't bother me, and I suppose it's laudable, but it does sometimes make me sigh inwardly.

Veganism would tend to cause me to suspect that the person in question might be uptight and annoying. I also think it's basically irrational. I entirely don't understand the objection to eating eggs, for instance, if they've been sourced from chickens which are being treated properly. The chickens don't care what you're doing with their eggs.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan but as I understand it the objection to eating eggs is that in doing so we are supporting an industry which often mistreats the chickens and kills the vast majority of male chicks on birth.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Such a great attitude to have.

1. By "treated properly" I assume you mean the "free-range" eggs which are so much better than "normal" eggs because the chickens actually have *some* room to move, aren't rotting in their own faeces, don't have their beaks cut off, live in complete darkness their whole lives etc? The "free-range" conditions aren't that much better, but if it makes you feel better then ok.

2. Millions of male chicks are CRUSHED to death (found undercover) although officials claim they are *only* gassed to death within hours of birth just because they can't lay eggs.

3. Leading on from point 2, what made people think it's ok to think of animals as products to basically use and abuse for cash? If an animal i deemed worthless it's killed. If it fulfills its "use" it's mistreated, just so people like you can make an omelette or have some chicken nuggets.

4. Your last statement is just ignorant. I have pet chickens and they treat their eggs likes it's the most precious thing they have.

Those are just points I thought of off the top of my head. Not sure if you really don't see the "objection for eating eggs" or if you just don't care.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Serpentine111
I was just a bit concerned with what you said, that's all. You don't really have to find replacements, veganism opens up a door to foods that you wouldn't normally eat (in a good way).

Of course, do whatever you think is best for your body, but coming from a very similar position to you (I used to very thin and I would probably eat single portion of fruit and veg every week or so at most when forced) I can say that, in my honest opinion, veganism is definitely the best choice anyone can make diet-wise and weight loss is a nonissue because there are a lot of healthy, calorific vegan foods.

This all sounds really promising, I would defiantly be interested In trying to shift my diet towards a less meat dependent style. It would probably be something I would play around with in the summer, for example i could try to allocate one day a week where I avoid all animal products. Then depending on the success or failure of that I could then increase it to two days a week and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending