The Student Room Group

Which University?

So I applied for law and have received offers from Queen Mary, Leeds, Exeter and Leicester. I am still waiting on a reply from Birmingham.

Initially my first choice was Queen Mary however I looked at the CUG league table 2017 today and they've dropped to 26 (mainly due to falling graduate prospects). Would QM still be a good choice?
Reply 1
Any opinions? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Drummerz
Any opinions? :smile:

Don't worry too much about yearly table fluctuations. I would still recommend exeter out of the two, unless you particularly like the location of QM, but you can't really make a wrong choice with either pick.
Reply 3
Original post by guest115
Don't worry too much about yearly table fluctuations. I would still recommend exeter out of the two, unless you particularly like the location of QM, but you can't really make a wrong choice with either pick.

I do particularly like the location of QM, but my idea of its reputation is mainly based off league tables. Do you think QM is well respected?
Reply 4
I do particularly like the location of QM, but my idea of its reputation is mainly based off league tables. Do you think QM is well respected?

Depends what you mean by well respected. In some recent law tables (guardian in particular) it has placed incredibly highly at 3rd, and they also state A*AA entry requirements. For these reasons, there are quite a few tsr users who call it an elite law university or an 'up and coming' uni.

What I think, is that it is currently a good but not great place to do law, and probably not quite as respected as exeter. Some of the league table positions QM has received are misleading, and their offer of 'A*AA' is not as strict as you may think. Its a bit of a bandwagon uni that students / prospective students hype up massively, yet it is still hard to call it poorly respected.

The chambers student 2016 survey seems to reflect this, showing exeter to have about double the number of london training contracts.I think exeter also has a larger student body, so this may cancel out slightly, but still gives a good indication of their reputations.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would say to go wherever you will be most happy living. The league tables can be useful, but dont let that make you doubt your own feelings towards your choices.

It is better that you go to the uni that you will settle at and be happy as that will give you the best chance of enjoying your degree. There is no point in picking a uni just because of a bunch of statistics and then being miserable there.

Law is tough, and so I certainly am glad that I am happy about where I am living and studying.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by guest115
Depends what you mean by well respected. In some recent law tables (guardian in particular) it has placed incredibly highly at 3rd, and they also state A*AA entry requirements. For these reasons, there are quite a few tsr users who call it an elite law university or an 'up and coming' uni.

What I think, is that it is currently a good but not great place to do law, and probably not quite as respected as exeter. Some of the league table positions QM has received are misleading, and their offer of 'A*AA' is not as strict as you may think. Its a bit of a bandwagon uni that students / prospective students hype up massively, yet it is still hard to call it poorly respected.

The chambers student 2016 survey seems to reflect this, showing exeter to have about double the number of london training contracts.I think exeter also has a larger student body, so this may cancel out slightly, but still gives a good indication of their reputations.

Quick update, i got an offer from birmingham. At the moment my top choices are Birmingham and Exeter, they both seem to have high graduate prospects. In addition, i looked on Chambers Student and birmingham and exeter graduates seem to be liked by MC, London and National firms.
Reply 7
Quick update, i got an offer from birmingham. At the moment my top choices are Birmingham and Exeter, they both seem to have high graduate prospects. In addition, i looked on Chambers Student and birmingham and exeter graduates seem to be liked by MC, London and National firms.

Well done with the offer, I think at this point go where you like best. Exeter probably has the edge in terms of law reputation, but neither choice will negatively impact your career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending