The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Anyone applying for the Desmond Tutu Scholarship? Any of the KCL scholarships?

Is anyone planning to apply for any of the special scholarships KCL offers, specifically the Desmond Tutu scholarship which they confirmed the other day will be offered for 2016 :biggrin:?
Original post by sal_ome
Is anyone planning to apply for any of the special scholarships KCL offers, specifically the Desmond Tutu scholarship which they confirmed the other day will be offered for 2016 :biggrin:?

I might if I have time
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I'm a second year English student at King's and I'm a Desmond Tutu scholar. Anything you want to know?
Reply 3
Original post by lilacwanda28
I'm a second year English student at King's and I'm a Desmond Tutu scholar. Anything you want to know?

Yeah, I'm just curious about the essay because the prompt they give you is pretty vague...“How do you think an education at King’s College London would help you serve society once you graduate?”
Did you mention specific things about KCL that you would take advantage of in your essay? Also, were you like specific about the ways that you said you'd "serve society" or just speak about them generally :u:?
I'll leave lilacwanda28 to have the last word; but generally speaking when a question is broad they want to hear from you directly about your own view. This question does what it says on the tin; it's asking you (as opposed to anyone else) how you could serve society if you get the prize to study at King's.

So work out how you could serve society using your own interests, passions, social concerns and choice of degree subject and why King's is the appropriate place to do that.

Would you agree lilacwanda28?
Original post by Stychomythia

So work out how you could serve society using your own interests, passions, social concerns and choice of degree subject and why King's is the appropriate place to do that.

This is exactly what I wrote about and they seemed to like it :biggrin: This is definitely good advice

Original post by sal_ome
Yeah, I'm just curious about the essay because the prompt they give you is pretty vague...“How do you think an education at King’s College London would help you serve society once you graduate?”
Did you mention specific things about KCL that you would take advantage of in your essay? Also, were you like specific about the ways that you said you'd "serve society" or just speak about them generally :u:?

I'm studying English and so I talked about how my actual course would help me after I graduate. I explained why I wanted to study English and the benefits of becoming a master of such a worldwide language and how I'd use English and poetry to teach children key morals. For example, at sixth form I used poetry workshops/readings/competitions to get students exploring big ideas like climate change and religion. I wanted to be an English teacher especially to children who's first language wasn't English, so talked about how the skills I'd learn at uni and also in the societies would give me transferable skills to help our growing ESL population.
Your essay is going to be quite easy to write if you're doing law or medicine, but at the dinner afterwards they told us how the most interesting essays to read were the people from Humanities, where these links to society aren't as clear as medicine and curing cancer or whatever.
Like Stychomythia said, try and link what you're passionate above to what you want to do in the future and how King's can help you acquire skills or experience to achieve that goal.
Hope this helps! If not, feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 6
This is exactly what I wrote about and they seemed to like it :biggrin: This is definitely good advice

I'm studying English and so I talked about how my actual course would help me after I graduate. I explained why I wanted to study English and the benefits of becoming a master of such a worldwide language and how I'd use English and poetry to teach children key morals. For example, at sixth form I used poetry workshops/readings/competitions to get students exploring big ideas like climate change and religion. I wanted to be an English teacher especially to children who's first language wasn't English, so talked about how the skills I'd learn at uni and also in the societies would give me transferable skills to help our growing ESL population.
Your essay is going to be quite easy to write if you're doing law or medicine, but at the dinner afterwards they told us how the most interesting essays to read were the people from Humanities, where these links to society aren't as clear as medicine and curing cancer or whatever.
Like Stychomythia said, try and link what you're passionate above to what you want to do in the future and how King's can help you acquire skills or experience to achieve that goal.
Hope this helps! If not, feel free to PM me :smile:

Thanks a bunch to both of you. I just wanted to be sure, since I'm from the USA and was concerned if the expectations were somehow different in the UK.
My course is politics so I imagine I will talk about my background and related personal political experiences and then lead into how I want to use KCL's excellent social sciences department and London location to help me get both a broad understanding and career connections. Then I'll wrap up with specifics about my career goals and how they relate to public service.

One more thing - do you think that they want this essay to be very formal in its writing style or more creative?
Original post by sal_ome
Thanks a bunch to both of you. I just wanted to be sure, since I'm from the USA and was concerned if the expectations were somehow different in the UK.
My course is politics so I imagine I will talk about my background and related personal political experiences and then lead into how I want to use KCL's excellent social sciences department and London location to help me get both a broad understanding and career connections. Then I'll wrap up with specifics about my career goals and how they relate to public service.

One more thing - do you think that they want this essay to be very formal in its writing style or more creative?

A good question: but I would tailor the style to the subject. lilacwanda28 was writing for English so a degree of creativity would be expected. You're writing for politics, so you are aiming to convince someone of your standpoint and why your approach to changing society is valid.

As politics is all about serving society (arguably by changing it, interestingly) you are already engaged with the question. You might also look at some of the graduates of King's who have changed society and see whether there is a common King's-related thread to their actions including DT himself, but your approach is for you to decide.

My last piece of advice: If you get into King's do the AKC, whether you have religious beliefs or none it's a free extra course and worth doing to broaden your education.
Original post by sal_ome

Unless you're going to be talking about how your creativity will help society, I'd avoid it tbh. I'd stick with formal. Like our celebratory dinner was a formal black-tie event and I'm sure we had to write a formal letter of thanks too. Up to you though, on what style to adopt. Maybe creative will help you stand out.
A good question: but I would tailor the style to the subject. lilacwanda28 was writing for English so a degree of creativity would be expected. You're writing for politics, so you are aiming to convince someone of your standpoint and why your approach to changing society is valid.

As politics is all about serving society (arguably by changing it, interestingly) you are already engaged with the question. You might also look at some of the graduates of King's who have changed society and see whether there is a common King's-related thread to their actions including DT himself, but your approach is for you to decide.

My last piece of advice: If you get into King's do the AKC, whether you have religious beliefs or none it's a free extra course and worth doing to broaden your education.

I second that, I'm from a mixed background, my mum's family are sikhs and my dad is atheist but I really enjoy the AKC and it really opens your eyes up to philosophy and the world that I sometimes don't get in English. Definitely worth it. Plus you'll get a personalised Vivienne Westwood gown when you graduate :biggrin: try and do as many extra courses as you can, like last semester I did a leadership and professional skills award and this semester I'm doing a thinking creativity award, both are great and so informative, so great advice Stychomythia :smile:
I second that, I'm from a mixed background, my mum's family are sikhs and my dad is atheist but I really enjoy the AKC and it really opens your eyes up to philosophy and the world that I sometimes don't get in English. Definitely worth it. Plus you'll get a personalised Vivienne Westwood gown when you graduate :biggrin: try and do as many extra courses as you can, like last semester I did a leadership and professional skills award and this semester I'm doing a thinking creativity award, both are great and so informative, so great advice Stychomythia :smile:

Thank you lilacwanda28, I'm touched :-) But even better news is that you get TWO gowns from the price of one with the AKC. There's the old AKC gown and hood too, with black and lilac silk hood over a rather fancy black gown with optional velvet facings! It's not often worn...but I know the right people, lol.

So as you can see sal_ome we like our dressing up at KCL :-)
Thank you lilacwanda28, I'm touched :-) But even better news is that you get TWO gowns from the price of one with the AKC. There's the old AKC gown and hood too, with black and lilac silk hood over a rather fancy black gown with optional velvet facings! It's not often worn...but I know the right people, lol.

So as you can see sal_ome we like our dressing up at KCL :-)

ooooh see I didn't even know that!
going to look spiffing at graduation lols :biggrin:
Reply 12
ooooh see I didn't even know that!
going to look spiffing at graduation lols :biggrin:

Thanks for all the help you guys!!! I was actually hoping to do the AKC when I get to KCL, I'm really happy to hear that it's well-recommended :smile:
Original post by sal_ome
Thanks for all the help you guys!!! I was actually hoping to do the AKC when I get to KCL, I'm really happy to hear that it's well-recommended :smile:

no problem, and you definitely should, it is great :smile:
good luck!
Applied today, anyone else?
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jaycake24
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope

Quick Reply