The Student Room Group

If the UK is a small insignificant island, why are the world elite fighting for IN?

All the time we hear the IN campaigners so the UK is pointless, irrelevant, small and useless, that to go alone would make us nothing. Yet the elite whether from America, China, India or Europe are begging for the voters to vote IN. If they didn't care why would they make a speech?

I am confused, why do they care so much if we are insignificant and small?
We're the world's 4th biggest economy. We are by no stretch insignificant, do you have any proof of IN campaigners calling the UK that? Because I've certainly not seen it.
The UK is not a small insignificant island!:smile:
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
We're the world's 4th biggest economy. We are by no stretch insignificant, do you have any proof of IN campaigners calling the UK that? Because I've certainly not seen it.

I guess his question was, why do world leaders say we need to be in the EU in order to be strong? This implies that the UK is weak on its own. However if this is the case why should they bother if they consider the UK itself a weak country?

In my opinion,given that we are the 4th (or 5th) largest economy, larger than Canada and France, the UK is by no means a weak country. Although a country's trades can be directly affected by political changes, it does not diminishes the quality and strength of its exports. These are the true driving forces behind trade.

OP: you have to understand that in global politics, most politician's motives are not in the true interests of the UK. It is natural that their interests and loyalty belong to their own electorates only, so I think we should not take their views too seriously. What is most important, is that everyone conduct their own research into the issue and form an educated decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
OP, has a single person said the UK is insignificant? I sense a straw man of immense proportions.

Besides, you can recognise a country as strong in and of itself, but equally recognise its best interests are in being part of a majorly awesome club. Especially when it comes to free trade deals, which Leave are always going on about. When it comes to bipartisan deals of that sort, generally, the pattern is that the bigger the clout of the negotiator, the more advantages they extract. So the EU's Member States can speak with a more equal clout with the US than can the UK alone.
More than 60 million people
Largest city by population (in Europe)
The best universities
Huge service economy
Prestigious army and navy
A parliamentary democracy which has actually lasted longer than 50 years

Who are they kidding really?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Omen96
All the time we hear the IN campaigners so the UK is pointless, irrelevant, small and useless, that to go alone would make us nothing. Yet the elite whether from America, China, India or Europe are begging for the voters to vote IN. If they didn't care why would they make a speech?

I am confused, why do they care so much if we are insignificant and small?

TBF in the big scheme of things it isnt that important. Its a medium sized country with moderate influence. They arent begging, but it serves the purpose of the US and EU if we stay. Havent seen the Chinese or Indians begging.

We are 5th or 6th.

OP do show us the begging by the countries you mentioned do show where they have said
"the UK is pointless, irrelevant, small and useless, that to go alone would make us nothing"
(edited 7 years ago)
@Fullofsurprises hey FoS, this is similar to the post you've recently posted about elites :tongue:

As I said, I think this is a war between two groups of oligarchs. Both sides think the "elites are against them".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chemting
@Fullofsurprises hey FoS, this is similar to the post you've recently posted about elites :tongue:

As I said, I think this is a war between two groups of oligarchs. Both sides think the "elites are against them".

It seems to be almost exclusively an internal battle of the English (not British) right and particularly between the hard Thatcherites and the merely neo-Thatcherites.

It's depressing to be called on to make a major national vote to settle what is an obsession of about 0.01% of the people and about 2% of the political class as a whole. We voters are in a similar position to the medieval peasants who were dragooned into battles between nobles of the Holy Roman Empire or the like - without the least understanding of the cause, with no stake in the victory and with their lives on the line, they humbly and cluelessly followed their Lord into battle to be slaughtered.
strawmancard-250x206.jpg
I haven't heard anybody claim that the UK is insignificant.

However, it is purely logical that an organisation of countries working together has greater influence than each of its constituent parts.
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/opinions/how-china-really-sees-us

Prospect Magazine
“We’ve discovered that Britain is easily replaceable in China’s European foreign policy. Moreover, Britain is no longer any kind of ‘big country,’ but merely a country of old Europe suitable for tourism and overseas study, with a few decent football teams.” It could hardly have been put more plainly.

Perhaps not insignificant, but demeaning nevertheless.
Original post by Aceadria
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/opinions/how-china-really-sees-us

Perhaps not insignificant, but demeaning nevertheless.

"Global Times, the Communist Party mouthpiece."

In any case, are we now saying that any indication of a country falling short in some fields and/or being less significant to another power on the other side of the world is 'talking down'? Are we really that insecure that we can't tolerate any recognition?

That article, by the way, also suggests China would love us to join Schengen!

English is China’s second language and the UK continues to attract Chinese students, but being outside the Schengen Area has meant that the bulk of the rapidly-growing Chinese tourist traffic goes elsewhere: 149,000 Chinese tourists visited the UK last year, compared to France’s 1.1m.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gladders
In any case, are we now saying that any indication of a country falling short in some fields and/or being less significant to another power on the other side of the world is 'talking down'? Are we really that insecure that we can't tolerate any recognition?

I genuinely hope no one takes the Communist Party's opinion at face value.
Original post by Aceadria
I genuinely hope no one takes the Communist Party's opinion at face value.

Quite :wink:

Also, the Schengen comment was not by the Communist Party organ, but by Prospect Magazine.
Original post by Omen96
All the time we hear the IN campaigners so the UK is pointless, irrelevant, small and useless, that to go alone would make us nothing.

I have literally never heard anyone say that. Your thread is virtually pointless.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It seems to be almost exclusively an internal battle of the English (not British) right and particularly between the hard Thatcherites and the merely neo-Thatcherites.

It's depressing to be called on to make a major national vote to settle what is an obsession of about 0.01% of the people and about 2% of the political class as a whole. We voters are in a similar position to the medieval peasants who were dragooned into battles between nobles of the Holy Roman Empire or the like - without the least understanding of the cause, with no stake in the victory and with their lives on the line, they humbly and cluelessly followed their Lord into battle to be slaughtered.

Sorry but you're so clueless and prvileged it's actually incredible.

Ukip got almost 4 million votes in the last election, many of these in the urban north. This is why the Labour party is going to die, it still has no recognition that it has sold out its old voter base for the urban middle class.

You're fighting a dead horse.

Most political issues are decided by 2% of the electorate, if we're going to use ridiculous examples the French resistance consisted of about 2% active fighters. Should we call Vichy France and have them come back since no one cares?
(edited 7 years ago)
If the UK leaves the EU, others may get the same idea, and other unions don't want their "member states" to get the same idea.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Sorry but you're so clueless and prvileged it's actually incredible.

Ukip got almost 4 million votes in the last election, many of these in the urban north. This is why the Labour party is going to die, it still has no recognition that it has sold out its old voter base for the urban middle class.

You're fighting a dead horse.

Most political issues are decided by 2% of the electorate, if we're going to use ridiculous examples the French resistance consisted of about 2% active fighters. Should we call Vichy France and have them come back since no one cares?

UKIP voters are mostly idiots. They don't think for themselves, they're highly susceptible to media manipulation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending