The Student Room Group

M2 Work done question: where did I go wrong?

WIN_20160426_092842.JPG

Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The gravitational force and the resistance act in the same direction and hence the RHS is added with +1.24 rather than -1.24. I think that is where you have gone wrong. What is the correct answer? (between 3 and 4?)
Reply 2
Original post by creativebuzz
WIN_20160426_092842.JPG

Attachment not found

Surely the word done against resistance is simply 8×1.248 \times 1.24 and not 8×1.24-8 \times 1.24?

Remember that gravitational potential energy is just "work done against gravity" and yet you still took that as positive (which you should) as you should take "work done against resistance" as positive.
Reply 3
Original post by nerak99
The gravitational force and the resistance act in the same direction and hence the RHS is added with +1.24 rather than -1.24. I think that is where you have gone wrong. What is the correct answer? (between 3 and 4?)

The correct answer would be v=12ms1v = 12 \, \text{ms}^{-1} if I'm not wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
The correct answer would be v=12ms1v = 12 \, \text{ms}^{-1} if I'm not wrong.

That seems a bit high? We have increased the force by more than half and with no extra force v<16

Do you mean root 12?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nerak99
That seems a bit high? We have increased the force by more than half and with no extra force v<16

Do you mean root 12?

No, Zacken is spot on!
Reply 6
No, Zacken is spot on!
Yep I forgot the 0.1 and got root 14.4. Still, surprised that in 8m at mg+1.24 we only get down to 12 from 20.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Surely the word done against resistance is simply 8×1.248 \times 1.24 and not 8×1.24-8 \times 1.24?

Remember that gravitational potential energy is just "work done against gravity" and yet you still took that as positive (which you should) as you should take "work done against resistance" as positive.

Ah of course! I got the answer correct now, thanks :smile:

I feel really bad but would you mind giving me a hand on these questions! I've been doing really well on M2 so far (got 100% last time) but I just did the June 2013 Reserved paper and it killed me!

For part b, why is incorrect to use s=dt by finding the distance travelled in 2 secs and then doubling it (as when t=2, the ball turns around)

Untitled.png

For part B, why did they put the normal reaction coming out of the cyclinder in the same direction as the reaction from the floor? Surely the normal reaction should be coming out diagonally as it's supposed to be perpendicular to the cylinder?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

6a (Hardest question in the whole thing) but for this question the mark scheme found moments when surely it's supposed to be treated like a lamina so find I split the trapezium into two mini triangles and a rectangle and found the CoM and area of them etc

ucles sending.jpg

Part 7d, I just don't see where I went wrong

ucles sending.jpg

ucles sending.jpg
Reply 8
Ah of course! I got the answer correct now, thanks :smile:

I feel really bad but would you mind giving me a hand on these questions! I've been doing really well on M2 so far (got 100% last time) but I just did the June 2013 Reserved paper and it killed me!

For part b, why is incorrect to use s=dt by finding the distance travelled in 2 secs and then doubling it (as when t=2, the ball turns around)

Untitled.png

For this - you need only sketch the graph:

You know that the area between the velocity time graph and the time axis is the distance travelled. The area between 2 and 4 is clearly much smaller than the area between 0 and 2. Hence you can't just double it. You can only double it if the graph was symmetrical about about t=2.

Had they asked you to find the distance between "2 and 4" then you could have done distance from 2 to 3 and then doubled it because the graph is symmetrical about t=3. But this is not so for "0 to 4".
Reply 9

For part B, why did they put the normal reaction coming out of the cyclinder in the same direction as the reaction from the floor? Surely the normal reaction should be coming out diagonally as it's supposed to be perpendicular to the cylinder?

Look at the diagram properly. The reaction force does come out diagonally/perpendicular to the cylinder, as you've rightly said; but in their diagram, they've drawn two arrows resolving that perpendicular/diagonal force horizontally and vertically. I've zoomed it up for you:

As you can see, they've split the normal perpendicular force into the horizontal and the vertical component.
Reply 10
6a (Hardest question in the whole thing) but for this question the mark scheme found moments when surely it's supposed to be treated like a lamina so find I split the trapezium into two mini triangles and a rectangle and found the CoM and area of them etc

I would do it that way as well (edit: to clarify - I would do it the way you have), I'm not quite sure what went wrong with your method?

(Also, the attachments for the rest of your questions don't seem to be showing up)
(edited 7 years ago)

It's far easier, IMO, to consider the masses of the given triangles and the trapezium.

mass x centre of mass of large triangle = mass x cofm small triangle + mass x cofm trapezium.

Taking measurements from the top vertex.
Original post by ghostwalker
It's far easier, IMO, to consider the masses of the given triangles and the trapezium.

mass x centre of mass of large triangle = mass x cofm small triangle + mass x cofm trapezium.

Taking measurements from the top vertex.

I agree and I've literally tried this question 10 times and still can't get the right answer..

Share2016-04-26-b7d70b7fe4bea1262dbdfc0c645423ad912b1d17f43d7deff5e1010e2a2707e9-Picture.jpg
I agree

Why not do it that way then?

and I've literally tried this question 10 times and still can't get the right answer..

Share2016-04-26-b7d70b7fe4bea1262dbdfc0c645423ad912b1d17f43d7deff5e1010e2a2707e9-Picture.jpg

You have the MR of the triangles incorrect - should be half what you've got.

Not at home, so can't post again for a bit.
Original post by ghostwalker
Why not do it that way then?

You have the MR of the triangles incorrect - should be half what you've got.

Not at home, so can't post again for a bit.

OMG YES I FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT! I redid that question soo many times, I can't believe my mistake was so small! Thank you
Reply 15
OMG YES I FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT! I redid that question soo many times, I can't believe my mistake was so small! Thank you

Well done.
Original post by Zacken
Well done.

Thanks! :smile:

Did you spot where I went wrong in q7d?
Reply 17
Thanks! :smile:

Did you spot where I went wrong in q7d?

Like I said, your attachments aren't showing.
Reply 18
What papers are these questions from ?
Reply 19

Original post by Hjyu1
What papers are these questions from ?

Quick Reply

Latest