The Student Room Group

Do I leave my driving instructor? I think he's taken everything so slowly,,

So, I'm 18 and I started having driving lessons in November. My dad picked out an individual instructor rather than a well known company although this guy has apparatnly passed a few people that live quite close to my street. I've never been much into cars or driving so I'm a total beginner. Anyways, we do 1 hour and sometime 1 1/2 lessons. I'm now on hour 27 and I've pribably spent lessons 5-23 just doing junction and roundabout work. I'm pretty competent with general driving it's just about giving way and when to go on roundabout which is a slight issue. I probably did turn on the road in about 3 or 4 lessons with huge gaps in between and we only started that about 12 hours in. We literally attempted bay parking once where he taught me in lesson 14 maybe and we left straight away and haven't done it again even though I didn't do anything wrong. We did reverse round the corner in lesson 27 so my last one and it just felt like such a beginner move and I had to go back in the mindset of the first lesson. I've asked when should I book my test and he said maybe about 8 lessons later? Like my good mates have all passed between 20-30 and they started learning manoevers from the first lesson on..
We did a parallel parking literally just once in lesson 26 and left it for no reason, we went into a dual carriageway in like lesson 24 and not gone in it again. It;s not live i;ve crashed or i'm a slow learner, just feel I haven't had much value for the money. Should I still just stick or find someone else?
Reply 1
If I were you I would find someone else. I started doing all my manoeuvres in my first 10 hours and was doing it every lesson until my exam. Nearly every lesson we went on dual carriage (maybe it's because where I live as to get from place to place we need to use dual carriage way) But yeah, I think maybe he's taking it slowly so you can pay him more. My friend had the same problem so he just found another instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that perhaps part of this comes down to the length of your lessons... 1 hour isn't really very long to go out far, have a good drive, and get home... Even 1 and a half hours isn't very long... If it's for your reasons you can't do 2 hour lessons, then that won't change, but if it's not because of you, find an instructor who will do 2 hour lessons, as you'll get a lot more out of them! I feel that's probably a big contributor to why you feel you're not getting as much value for money!
Reply 3
but still?
Like think i've slyly being taken advantage off for not knowing too much about driving. Like we have had a good few 1 1/2 hour lessons and 2/3 2 hour lessons. Like my friend was saying about he did reversing round the corner in 2nd lesson and I did it well in my 20's! We've gone on the dual carriageway once, we've barely done manoevers but i'm told by people that they always did that with their lesson pretty much after lesson 5.
Reply 4
Original post by Anhelina
If I were you I would find someone else. I started doing all my manoeuvres in my first 10 hours and was doing it every lesson until my exam. Nearly every lesson we went on dual carriage (maybe it's because where I live as to get from place to place we need to use dual carriage way) But yeah, I think maybe he's taking it slowly so you can pay him more. My friend had the same problem so he just found another instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, think I will now. He just said we'll book for a test in 8 weeks and we have 2 a week. So I really really doubt I'll need 40+ lessons overall when it hasn't really troubled me..
I think you should tell the instructor that you aren't happy with the speed of progression and would like to increase, if not you'll find another teacher
Yes I would definitely say that is slow, especially if you feel quite competent. I would perhaps see a different instructor? It sounds like you definitely need to do the manoeuvres more as well, i had done them all within 10 one hour lessons and then practised them every now and again in the next 9 one hour lessons before my test.
Reply 7
Original post by krs121
yep, think I will now. He just said we'll book for a test in 8 weeks and we have 2 a week. So I really really doubt I'll need 40+ lessons overall when it hasn't really troubled me..

Yeah, change the instructor and see how it goes. Barely anyone need 40+ hours of lessons. It's usually 30+. New instructor will usually help you more. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spent months with a really crap instructor who was exactly like yours I was like 20 lessons in and I'd barely done the basics. Then I realised that this was my money and my time and I didn't owe him anything. If you're not 100% happy with your instructor then change because at the end of the day you are the one paying for these lessons and you want to get the most out of them. I had 2 bad instructors before finding my current one who is brilliant. I didn't even realise how bad the other 2 were until I got in the car with my 3rd and instantly knew that he was 100 times better. I'd say definitely change if you want too or if you don't want to do that then talk to your current instructor and tell him/her what you want to do differently, they are your lessons and you need to be comfortable with them.
Reply 9
Original post by krs121
So, I'm 18 and I started having driving lessons in November. My dad picked out an individual instructor rather than a well known company although this guy has apparatnly passed a few people that live quite close to my street. I've never been much into cars or driving so I'm a total beginner. Anyways, we do 1 hour and sometime 1 1/2 lessons. I'm now on hour 27 and I've pribably spent lessons 5-23 just doing junction and roundabout work. I'm pretty competent with general driving it's just about giving way and when to go on roundabout which is a slight issue. I probably did turn on the road in about 3 or 4 lessons with huge gaps in between and we only started that about 12 hours in. We literally attempted bay parking once where he taught me in lesson 14 maybe and we left straight away and haven't done it again even though I didn't do anything wrong. We did reverse round the corner in lesson 27 so my last one and it just felt like such a beginner move and I had to go back in the mindset of the first lesson. I've asked when should I book my test and he said maybe about 8 lessons later? Like my good mates have all passed between 20-30 and they started learning manoevers from the first lesson on..
We did a parallel parking literally just once in lesson 26 and left it for no reason, we went into a dual carriageway in like lesson 24 and not gone in it again. It;s not live i;ve crashed or i'm a slow learner, just feel I haven't had much value for the money. Should I still just stick or find someone else?

Swap! I had exactly the same thing! An instructor that wasted time and didn't advance me so that he could make more money.

I swapped instructors, learnt really quickly and passed within 20 - 30 lessons. Some instructors are rubbish and other lengthen things out to take your money. Find a decent one.
Before you get shirty with your current instructor, ask him for his view on your progress, and for an outline of his expectations for your readiness for the test.

Have you discussed your concern with your Dad, as his selection of the current instructor might inhibit the issue of changing instructor?
Reply 11
Original post by Scarlett Marvel
I spent months with a really crap instructor who was exactly like yours I was like 20 lessons in and I'd barely done the basics. Then I realised that this was my money and my time and I didn't owe him anything. If you're not 100% happy with your instructor then change because at the end of the day you are the one paying for these lessons and you want to get the most out of them. I had 2 bad instructors before finding my current one who is brilliant. I didn't even realise how bad the other 2 were until I got in the car with my 3rd and instantly knew that he was 100 times better. I'd say definitely change if you want too or if you don't want to do that then talk to your current instructor and tell him/her what you want to do differently, they are your lessons and you need to be comfortable with them.

It's so annoying isn't it, feel so much time was taken away. Really wanted to pass within 4 months! But yeah i'm changing now.
Reply 12
I'm going to ask for a break, find a new instructor and if I don't see the benefits i'll come back to him.
Reply 13
Rather than asking opinions, why don't you have a sit down with the instructor s d clear the air?
Original post by krs121

Learning slowly is not necessarily a bad thing.
It’s important to not measure your progress against the progress of other people. Everyone learns at different rates, and you also can never be too sure if what they are telling you is accurate or even true. You’re always going to get people who say, “Oh, I was putting in for my test by the twelfth lesson!” or something like that. That’s what people do, and even if it was true, it doesn’t reflect on you or your progress. Another thing I would like to add is that the only person who can really tell you how you are progressing, is your driving instructor. There could be a reason why things seem to be moving slow for you, but you won’t really know until you ask. I think, unless there’s huge personality clashes or inappropriate/unprofessional behaviour, it is worth trying to resolve issues before you ditch and get another instructor. Or else you could find yourself doing the same thing every time an issue comes up. Of course, if you talk it out with your instructor, and they can’t offer a satisfactory answer or a way to remedy your concerns, consider switching instructors.
Ask you instructor to tell you what you are doing wrong and what you need to improve on. Op, I would advise you not to compare your pace with your friends, because everyone has their pace. You can book a lesson with another instructor and ask him how many lessons you should do, what you need to improve on and what you are doing wrong. This way, you would be certain if your instructor is taking you for a literal ride.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending