The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Indeed. So many of the science fellows at Oxbridge seem non-Oxbridge graduates themselves!

I don't get a lot of Oxford or Cambridge studies through as I'm based in London but when I have seen them (e.g. if they've been transferred to me) I agree that science fellows at these unis tend to be either other RG or London unis, or unis abroad even. I would be interested to know why this is. is Oxbridge less focused on research?
Original post by infairverona
I don't get a lot of Oxford or Cambridge studies through as I'm based in London but when I have seen them (e.g. if they've been transferred to me) I agree that science fellows at these unis tend to be either other RG or London unis, or unis abroad even. I would be interested to know why this is. is Oxbridge less focused on research?

Nah, I think it's the opppsite. They're heavily research-based in themselves but maybe Oxbridge undergraduates are less interested in research :dontknow:
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
But then I can be in with the cool kids on TSR who went Cambridge.

Also networking :smile:

What about the even cooler kids who went to Oxford? :confused:
Nah, I think it's the opppsite. They're heavily research-based in themselves but maybe Oxbridge undergraduates are less interested in research :dontknow:

I'm not sure many undergraduates are that interested in research. I never was until I started working in it, haha
Money. What's the point in just having a certificate saying you got a first from Oxbridge? If you didn't go there and didn't do that degree then a piece of paper is pretty worthless as you won't have the skills and experience that goes with it.
This thread is very old (1 year). Who brought it back to life?
Money no doubt.
Take the money then use some of to fund a real degree at Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol et al. Best of both worlds.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

That's a nice joke :teehee:
Original post by infairverona
I'm not sure many undergraduates are that interested in research. I never was until I started working in it, haha

Lmao I was fully certain I'd like to go straight into research after, now I'm like, maybe I'll work for a year or two first
I voted for the money. I was initially inclined to vote for the degree, but then I thought, 'Surely a degree should be earned?' I would not want to have an amazing degree without having actually earned it myself with hard work, perseverance and dedication.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Logical+impossibility
(edited 7 years ago)
I would take the degree. 250k is nice but I would like to get a first class degree from oxbridge so I would get hired for doing something I love.
Original post by humanteaparty
I would take the degree. 250k is nice but I would like to get a first class degree from oxbridge so I would get hired for doing something I love.

Assuming a degree = automatic job offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Assuming a degree = automatic job offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

First class degree from oxbridge? -> Automatic job offer :wink:
Lmao I was fully certain I'd like to go straight into research after, now I'm like, maybe I'll work for a year or two first

That's good though because you can get good work experience etc. I wish I'd considered research, I wish I'd done science so I could actually do proper research
First class degree from oxbridge? -> Automatic job offer :wink:

Not on earth, maybe mars?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol at people who think oxbridge means ur gna be a millionaire xD
Original post by Princepieman
Not on earth, maybe mars?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look at the employability rates for engineers from cambridge they're like 96/100 (I know it also includes further study). So statistically you will get a job related to your degree.
If you look at the employability rates for engineers from cambridge they're like 96/100 (I know it also includes further study). So statistically you will get a job related to your degree.

I don't think you quite get my point.. A degree =/= a job. It is merely a tickbox for you to vie for a job, if you don't have the skills/personality/ability, you won't get the job someone else will.

96/100 people got onto work + further study in a cohort completely different to the cohort you will be in and having completely different skills/experiences/personalities to you.

This misconception is just unreal

EDIT: I'm not saying you won't get a job, I'm saying getting a job is a LOT more to do than just your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest