The Student Room Group

Internal Energy of a Van der Waals Gas

So I have this question. Im able to derive the first part, however integrating the equation is for some reason stumping me.

So I took dV over to the RHS, giving du=a/v^2 dv. Which I promptly integrated and got U=(-a/v) + c where c would just be an integration constant correct? But how am i supposed to show that c=3RT/2. I get that this is the U for an ideal gas, but Im not sure if that's relevant or not.
Original post by Eremor

So I have this question. Im able to derive the first part, however integrating the equation is for some reason stumping me.

So I took dV over to the RHS, giving du=a/v^2 dv. Which I promptly integrated and got U=(-a/v) + c where c would just be an integration constant correct?

Incorrect, since you are integrating a partial derivative where T is held constant. So the most general term with T that can differentiate back to 0 in this case gives you:

U=cTaVU = cT -\frac{a}{V}

To check that, find (UV)T(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T from that expression.

But how am i supposed to show that c=3RT/2. I get that this is the U for an ideal gas, but Im not sure if that's relevant or not.

I'm not sure what they want here, but:

1. this isn't an ideal gas since in an ideal gas, particles have no volume
2. consider what would happen if VV \to \infty - this would bring you closer and closer to the ideal gas state, since the particle volume eventually becomes negligible w.r.t V. And what would the energy tend towards?
Reply 2
Ah, i see what you mean.

Thankyou for the help!
Original post by Eremor
Ah, i see what you mean.

Thankyou for the help!

You thanked me too soon. I've realised that I made a mistake above - when you integrate, you'll end up with:

U=cf(T)aVU =cf(T) - \frac{a}{V}

where f(T)f(T) is some arbitrary function of T. So you need to do some more work to justify the linearity in T. I'll have to think about this later, when I get the time.

[edit: there's no more to justify - just apply the VV \to \infty reasoning that I mentioned earlier - that gives you the whole term]
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest