The Student Room Group

Why is coursework still allowed?

I was in school today, finishing coursework and i do not understand how it is allowed. I understand it gets moderated externally but that is only a few. The teachers who moderate know the pupils. I seen today that your personal judgement of a student effects how you mark them, so why can't they at least be marked with no student name? Its not a coincidence pupils who teachers tend to dislike perform bad on coursework but great on exams, but teachers preferences or people expected high grades are marked up in coursework. I have experienced this in my English and do not get how its fair at all. An example, my teacher loves me and i receive A* on every essay yet in exams i did not, and when i got a teacher who had no preconceptions of me to mark my work, i did not either. What do you think?
(edited 7 years ago)
I know righr
Original post by lucyycul2
I was in school today, finishing coursework and i do not understand how it is allowed. I understand it gets moderated externally but that is only a few. The teachers who moderate know the pupils. I seen today that your personal judgement of a student effects how you mark them, so why can't they at least be marked with no student name? its not a coincidence pupils who teachers tend to dislike perform really bad on coursework but great on exams, but teachers pets or people expected high grades are marked up in coursework. I have experienced this in my History and don't get how its fair at all an example, my history teacher loves me and i receive A* on every essay yet in exams i did not, and when i got a teacher who had no preconceptions of me to mark my work. What do you think?

doesn't coursework benefit girls more on the whole as an average since they're more likely to work harder to refine their work rather than boys are?

maybe coursework was to help boys who got bad marks so they can secure part of their final mark before the final exam which won't then count as 100% of their grade?
because they want to see us in depression :sad:
Coursework is "worked" differently at university.

Iv noticed if you ask a lecturer to look at your work, they wont "tell you" what needs to be done.
They will give their opinion.
Original post by lucyycul2
I was in school today, finishing coursework and i do not understand how it is allowed. I understand it gets moderated externally but that is only a few. The teachers who moderate know the pupils. I seen today that your personal judgement of a student effects how you mark them, so why can't they at least be marked with no student name? its not a coincidence pupils who teachers tend to dislike perform really bad on coursework but great on exams, but teachers pets or people expected high grades are marked up in coursework. I have experienced this in my History and don't get how its fair at all an example, my history teacher loves me and i receive A* on every essay yet in exams i did not, and when i got a teacher who had no preconceptions of me to mark my work. What do you think?

The number of coursework pieces sent off for exernal moderation actually depends on class size. I know for OCR A2 ICT that if the class size is less than 11 then all pieces are sent for moderation.
Coursework gives pupils a big advantage to get better grades. Its good.
Reply 7
Original post by ripjonsnow
Coursework is "worked" differently at university.

Iv noticed if you ask a lecturer to look at your work, they wont "tell you" what needs to be done.
They will give their opinion.

Coursework is still an important part of university. And they have sophisticated systems to catch out plagiarism!
I doubt teachers would mark anyone down, it is in their interests for everyone to get the highest grades possible
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
I doubt teachers would mark anyone down, it is in their interests for everyone to get the highest grades possible

I agree if the teacher doesn't like you, they will give you a bad grade. That still happens at uni. You just have to rise up to it?
Reply 10
Actually, I was once told by my teacher that teachers avoid giving everyone As and high marks even if they achieved it as it looks suspicious to moderators and they need a certain percentage lower as in comprehensive schools it's unlikely everyone will get As according to them. Even though my class was top ability.
It's pretty useful in certain circumstances, but does get abused in schools. Elsewhere they have the appropriate moderation.

At university it's one of your main sources of feedback so that you improve your work for the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending