The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How good is economics at York?

I have an offer for PPE but I'm mainly interested in economics. How does it compare to universities like Bristol or Nottingham?

Also what about UEA? Might put that as my insurance.

Thanks!

Reply 1
York Econ is solid, ranked somewhere top 11-20 depending on survey. It has some strong concentrations, notably in health economics on master's and PhD level. To be fair, I would regard Bristol and Nottingham as better Econ programmes. Both are ranked in top 10, just outside the Big 5. Good luck
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Tcannon
York Econ is solid, ranked somewhere top 11-20 depending on survey. It has some strong concentrations, notably in health economics on master's and PhD level. To be fair, I would regard Bristol and Nottingham as better Econ programmes. Both are ranked in top 10, just outside the Big 5. Good luck

Thanks for your opinion. Do you think going to York instead of one of those I mentioned will hinder my career prospects? Or is it more of a matter of quality of research?
Reply 3
hey there, I also have an offer for York PPE and seem to be in a similar position to you

I'm considering either York or Nottingham both for PPE, I'm really struggling to make a decision though :/

re. ur question you should probably look at the courses for each uni. imo I much prefer York's courses for each discipline and the club of PEP looks good. However, I much preferred Nottingham as a uni in general and it seems more targeted by banks etc.

Really struggling ughhh and need to make a decision by the 4th

re. UEA - they ask for reasonable grades so good backup but not great uni compared to Nottingham/York obviously. I was considering applying but didn't really want to end up there so putting Exeter insurance instead
Reply 4
What career and target organisations are you talking about? Civil Service, banks, accounting, consultancy? Normally the faculty's website lists some major recruiters of economics graduates and average salary. Nott says on its website that econ grads earn £28,000 on average.

I think for civil service and big 4 accounting, these organisations would consider all 3 unis favourably. The rest is up to you how you perform in interviews and tests. Top tier Investment Banks and top tier consulting M/B/B are more selective and target certain unis. Take a close look at student satisfaction. To be fair, entry requirements at all three econ courses are similar.

I think the syllabus on undergraduate level is similar: Micro, macro, stats, econometrics + few electives. The differences are more on master's and PhD level. Each faculty has its strengths.

Original post by Adrono
Thanks for your opinion. Do you think going to York instead of one of those I mentioned will hinder my career prospects? Or is it more of a matter of quality of research?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending