The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

@Gingerbread101

Are you collecting quotes based on themes or based on the books?
Original post by scrawlx101
@Gingerbread101

Are you collecting quotes based on themes or based on the books?

Based on the books but choosing the books with the themes I need in mind :smile:
@Gingerbread101, stop being so productive; you're showing me up :tongue:

Seriously, wow
Original post by Andy98
@Gingerbread101, stop being so productive; you're showing me up :tongue:

Seriously, wow

I hope it's an encouragement to do more :mmm:
Update 26/04/2016

Today was a good day, although I got barely any sleep last night!

Over the weekend I did some revision of Russia and made some more flash cards, but I was out on Saturday getting my prom dress fitted (wooo).

Monday:
History: We did the economic and political factors of women's civil rights 1970 to 1992, only one lesson left on it and we've done all the learning!
Free Periods: I finished all of the notes on Russia, now I need to finish consolidating all of the facts with the flash cards I've made. This is going quite well, and my teacher is double checking the day of my resit - it might turn out that I have an extra week to revise.
Language: We annotated an exemplar essay and another exam text.
Literature: We had a quote test to see our knowledge of wider reading quotes and I got 13 marks out of 10 (lol) because I get extra points for including all genres. We also watched some more of All My Sons.

Today:
Free Period: I wrote an essay for Russia in exam conditions again, and one of the ICT technicians came looking for me because he can't be there for one of the school concerts and wants me to do the sound tech for it, which should be fun.
History: We filled in all of the candidate forms for our coursework, and then had some personal revision time, where I started going back over Workers. I didn't remember as much off the top of my head as I would have liked, but I guess I did all of my revision for it in one big chunk so I need to do it more often.
Language: We got back another draft of our coursework. I'm on 46/50 (boundary for A* is 45), so I was adding my bibliography and asking my teacher where I could squeeze the last few marks out of. I have until Friday to hand in my final draft, so I'll be editing that tonight.
Literature: I got back the essay that we did in lesson last Thursday and I got 40/40, and my teacher said it was the best essay I've ever written! I was pretty pleased, as I thought I hadn't got back into the swing of it when I wrote it.
Free Period: I did another revision session with my teacher on Russia, and I got back the essay I did this morning - 50/50. Another full marks essay in one day wooo! We also planned some more essays for practice, but she said that my essay technique was very good now and that I'm well prepared for that part of it, I just need to make sure I learn all the facts now.

To do lists and planners

Our school supplies us with homework planners, but I always transfer the homework onto a post it note on the front of my planner.

This way, I can always make sure I know what homework I have without having to look through the last week in the planner in case I miss something.

These post it notes are also really useful because you can tick things off once you're done.

Do you get anything to record your homework in from school/college? Do you actually use it? (you know who I'm looking at :lol:)

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Original post by Gingerbread101

I'm confused, how do the post-it things work? Do you stick one on everyday or...? :eek3:
Original post by Zacken
I'm confused, how do the post-it things work? Do you stick one on everyday or...? :eek3:

I use the same one until I've filled it up - I just keep adding the tasks to it so I keep track of what I have to do. To check the deadlines etc I have to look in the actual planner :tongue: When I'm then doing the work I go down the list and do the things at the top first, because I know I got those first :smile:
We get a planner given to us at school; it was very handy until I started neglecting homework for my own revision, which means I hardly use it now:tongue: I tend to just use my timetable on word now, since I can edit it better etc.
Original post by kennethdcharles
We get a planner given to us at school; it was very handy until I started neglecting homework for my own revision, which means I hardly use it now:tongue: I tend to just use my timetable on word now, since I can edit it better etc.

Same with the not using it because of revision :tongue: I have an app called My Study Life that has my timetable on so I can just have it on my phone :smile:
@Gingerbread101, answers from the question in the update: No, and no.
Original post by Andy98
@Gingerbread101, answers from the question in the update: No, and no.

Haha, how do your school expect you to record homework then? :eek2:
Haha, how do your school expect you to record homework then? :eek2:

I'm at college, but they expect us to do the homework - at school they gave us a planner but I just remembered it all
Original post by Andy98
I'm at college, but they expect us to do the homework - at school they gave us a planner but I just remembered it all

I couldn't remember it all, no way haha :tongue:
I couldn't remember it all, no way haha :tongue:

It's easy, but that doesn't mean it gets done :lol:
Do you have any regrets over firming Durham now, after UCL took their 3rd place? on the *main* league table? Particularly when considering Durham is now 7th?

Spoiler

Original post by TelAviv
Do you have any regrets over firming Durham now, after UCL took their 3rd place? on the *main* league table? Particularly when considering Durham is now 7th?

Spoiler

League table places don't mean anything to most people. It's more about your personal opinion of the university and how you think you'll fare there than "oh yeah, some pleb at the CUG gave it a 7/10, my life sux".
Original post by Zacken
League table places don't mean anything to most people. It's more about your personal opinion of the university and how you think you'll fare there than "oh yeah, some pleb at the CUG gave it a 7/10, my life sux".

That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm curious to see if she chose Durham over UCL on the basis of the 2016 CUG - a few people in the Durham law chat seem to be having regrets now.
Original post by TelAviv
That's exactly why I'm asking. I'm curious to see if she chose Durham over UCL on the basis of the 2016 CUG - a few people in the Durham law chat seem to be having regrets now.

Ah, fair enough. Re: the law chat? That's quite surprising. I expected more rationality from Durham lawyers. :erm:
Update 26/04/2016

Today was a good day, although I got barely any sleep last night!

Over the weekend I did some revision of Russia and made some more flash cards, but I was out on Saturday getting my prom dress fitted (wooo).

Monday:
History: We did the economic and political factors of women's civil rights 1970 to 1992, only one lesson left on it and we've done all the learning!
Free Periods: I finished all of the notes on Russia, now I need to finish consolidating all of the facts with the flash cards I've made. This is going quite well, and my teacher is double checking the day of my resit - it might turn out that I have an extra week to revise.
Language: We annotated an exemplar essay and another exam text.
Literature: We had a quote test to see our knowledge of wider reading quotes and I got 13 marks out of 10 (lol) because I get extra points for including all genres. We also watched some more of All My Sons.

Today:
Free Period: I wrote an essay for Russia in exam conditions again, and one of the ICT technicians came looking for me because he can't be there for one of the school concerts and wants me to do the sound tech for it, which should be fun.
History: We filled in all of the candidate forms for our coursework, and then had some personal revision time, where I started going back over Workers. I didn't remember as much off the top of my head as I would have liked, but I guess I did all of my revision for it in one big chunk so I need to do it more often.
Language: We got back another draft of our coursework. I'm on 46/50 (boundary for A* is 45), so I was adding my bibliography and asking my teacher where I could squeeze the last few marks out of. I have until Friday to hand in my final draft, so I'll be editing that tonight.
Literature: I got back the essay that we did in lesson last Thursday and I got 40/40, and my teacher said it was the best essay I've ever written! I was pretty pleased, as I thought I hadn't got back into the swing of it when I wrote it.
Free Period: I did another revision session with my teacher on Russia, and I got back the essay I did this morning - 50/50. Another full marks essay in one day wooo! We also planned some more essays for practice, but she said that my essay technique was very good now and that I'm well prepared for that part of it, I just need to make sure I learn all the facts now.

To do lists and planners

Our school supplies us with homework planners, but I always transfer the homework onto a post it note on the front of my planner.

This way, I can always make sure I know what homework I have without having to look through the last week in the planner in case I miss something.

These post it notes are also really useful because you can tick things off once you're done.

Do you get anything to record your homework in from school/college? Do you actually use it? (you know who I'm looking at :lol:)

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Hey there,
When do you do all this work ? At home?
Original post by TelAviv

Spoiler

Nope - I chose Durham based on the environment. For me, the main benefit of UCL would have been the magic circle links, but when I visited Durham and found that they had equally strong connections, it won me over. Plus the accommodation at UCL is insanely expensive and poor quality compared to Durham.
For me, I know I'd do equally well at either and that one year on the league tables isn't going to change the opinion of employers regarding the university.
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey there,
When do you do all this work ? At home?

I do the stuff I talk about there in lesson time, although I am doing a few hours of revision every night too only it isn't as interesting to talk about :redface:

Quick Reply